Brewer Fanatic

Mets trade Ryan Church to ATL for Jeff Francoeur

crewcrazy

Just reported live on SportsCenter. "WOW!!" quipped Buster Olney. Not sure if there's more to the deal yet, but I'll look around. If anyone can find link confirmation, feel free to post it.

Seems like a surprising move for the Mets to me, since Francoeur has been really, really bad and Ryan Church has at least been solid this year. Church should help an Atlanta outfield that was pretty weak offensively, at least.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

MLBTradeRumors linked to the Twitter account for the NY Post's Mets beat writer, confirming the deal. Apparently it's straight up: http://twitter.com/NYPost_Mets

Ryan Church apparently has been traded.25 minutes ago from Tweetie

Announcement coming. Church is getting handshakes and hugs as we speak.25 minutes ago from Tweetie

Omar Minaya press conference is imminent.22 minutes ago from Tweetie

Church was traded to Atlanta for Jeff Francoeur.20 minutes ago from Tweetie

Deal was straight up.20 minutes ago from Tweetie

This probably also eliminates any chance of Corey Hart going to the Braves now, as part of a possible Javier Vazquez deal or otherwise (although anything is possible).

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

This will help ATL. I don't understand the Mets at all right now. So Jerry Manuel doesn't like "the player" & he's traded away for an even worse player?

Good GMing, Minaya. I think you can have a serious discussion about which the better/worse GM for the Mets has been -- Phillips or Minaya.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This is just awful for the Mets. I mean, even if they think for some reason that he can bounce back to being useful, why would they give up anything worthwhile for him? Their ship be sinkin'.

Awful deal for the Mets. Maybe the Mets will ship Francoeur to to Kansas City for some more top prospects. Seems like Kansas City has a thing for bad baseball players.

Ain't that the truth.

In all seriousness, what a terrible trade for the Mets. Francoeur is really bad at baseball, and is responsible for one of the best quotes in recent memory:

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it up on the scoreboard?"

Well played Minaya.

From what I saw last night on MLB Network, the trade was made because the Mets wanted a RH OF bat, plus Minaya salivated over Francouer's defense.

Mitch Williams was hilarious last night ripping Minaya for this trade....

Archived