Brewer Fanatic

Nelson Cruz and Jayson Werth named AS replacements

Boy Werth wasn't helped by their WS win at all was he?
What do you mean?

Werth's stats so far this year.

SEASON TEAM G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
2009 Phi 81 299 59 80 14 1 20 54 49 74 12 2 .268 .373 .522 .895

That isn't to far off from any of the other All Stars. Werth is 7th in OPS in NL OF's. Adam Dunn definitely deserved to be at the All Star game along with Kemp and Upton. Did Upton make it onto the All Star team? Werth isn't a bad pick I can't seem to find how you could be complaing about Werth as an All Star. He definitely has deserved to be an All Star this year.

Werth is somewhat deserving, sure, but besides Upton and Dunn and Kemp, I think Sandoval and Reynolds both deserved to be there more than Werth--that Werth is one of Manuel's players definitely raises some eyebrows, esp. considering they already had four guys going. It's a valid complaint/conversation.

They all deserved to be there more than Victorino in my opinion.

If Victorino wouldn't have been picked in the fan vote (did he get picked?) he would have been picked by Manuel. Werth is more deserving the Victorino that is for sure and Sandoval should have been also picked to be there.

Congrats to Cruz but the fact that he got in before Shin-Soo Choo is odd to say the least. Home runs is the only stat Cruz is beating Choo in. Choo has an OPS .40 points higher and an OBP .80 higher. Juan Riveria, Michael Cuddyer and Johnny Damon have had better years than Cruz, but it is good to see a first timer get it.

ESPN is confirming that Nelson will be in the HR derby, since virtually everyone else in the AL declined. The only other two AL'ers confirmed are Joe Mauer and Brandon Inge...I believe they're still waiting for a fourth. Here's to hoping for a Prince vs. Nelson finals. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

It would be hard for me to pick Cruz considering the .578 OPS he's had in the past 21 games and the fact there are a number of guys who are probably better options even ignoring the current slump.

ESPN is confirming that Nelson will be in the HR derby, since virtually everyone else in the AL declined. The only other two AL'ers confirmed are Joe Mauer and Brandon Inge...I believe they're still waiting for a fourth. Here's to hoping for a Prince vs. Nelson finals. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif
I'm hoping for a Branyan vs. Prince finals. Branyan would win though. Branyan would put on a show that even Josh Hamilton would be jealous over.

Werth only got picked because he's a Phillie in my opinion.

The perks of having your manager manage the all-star game. I really don't see anything wrong with it.

Actually, I've read several places that the replacement players have to be the next highest vote getters from the players. To which Rob Neyer responded today (paraphrasing), "see, players are just as dumb as the fans."

I'm hoping for a Branyan vs. Prince finals. Branyan would win though. Branyan would put on a show that even Josh Hamilton would be jealous over.

I think 3TO would be the best home run derby participant of all-time. I can/t think of anyone who would, or could, be better.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived