Brewer Fanatic

2009-07-10 Dodgers (Billingsley) at Milwaukee (Looper) : 7:05 PM CT [Brewers lose, 12-8]

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I have to give Matt Kempt credit, that was one hell of a catch to end it. Disappointing end to this game, but I can think of a few positives:

- They scored 6 runs in 9 innings against the best pitching staff in baseball (and 8 in 10)

- Hardy made some solid contact and managed to drive in a couple runs

- Mat Gamel's swing is so pretty I want to take it out to dinner

- Bill Hall had a solid at-bat against a very tough closer

- The offense didn't completely pack it in after that 6 run top half

- They made Broxton throw a ton of pitches and likely eliminated any chance of him appearing tomorrow

Would've been nice to get this one, but Jeff Weaver's going tomorrow for the Dodgers.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I think I am going crazy because I could swear I saw Juan Pierre get an intentional walk in this game. I know there is no way any sane person would actually walk Pierre on purpose because he is such a crappy hitter though. Must be seeing things.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

logan - i was there and witnessed the event first hand. It was like vertigo, or sussudio, or something else beyond my comprehension. There was no doubt in my mind after that happened I would be walking toward the exit in pure frustration mode.

I think I am going crazy because I could swear I saw Juan Pierre get an intentional walk in this game. I know there is no way any sane person would actually walk Pierre on purpose because he is such a crappy hitter though. Must be seeing things.

Juan Pierre was one of the best hitters in baseball when Ramirez was serving his suspension!

(Bill said that, not me. And I don't agree with him.)

I know that Macha was trying to set up the DP, but even with an extreme GB pitcher and a slow extreme GB hitter it is still a questionable move. I also believe that most other managers would do the same thing or worse yet, bring the infield in and pitch to Pierre.

I was also groaning while imagining the lineup upside down and how all the people who got hits would be at the top of the lineup if it was flipped. I forget where I posted it, but I think putting one of our left handers next to Fielder in the lineup is kind of being rough on the other guy since the other team is almost assured to save their LOOGY for Fielder. It worked out tonight though. Hopefully Gamel will get some more playing time after tonight. He does have a sweet swing.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I didn't have as much of a problem with Gamel hitting behind Fielder compared to someone like Cat, since both Fielder and Gamel have shown that they're able to handle left-handed pitching pretty well (Fielder in the majors this year, Gamel in his minor league career). I'd still like to see Gamel's bat in either of the top two spots of the order, but at least hitting 5th is better than hitting 7th or not at all. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

trwi7 wrote:

Juan Pierre was one of the best hitters in baseball when Ramirez was serving his suspension!

(Bill said that, not me. And I don't agree with him.)

To be fair, he did have a .900 plus OPS during the first half of Manny;s suspension, but it did fall off considerably the last 20 games.

Community Moderator
There was definitely booing, but I can't really blame people. The grand slam was the last straw for me, we don't usually leave early but it was really frustrating to have an exciting baseball game turn into a blowout.

On a positive note, the crowd last night was excellent. One of the best crowds at July game that I have ever seen.
How'd they respond to that top of the 10th?
I was there, it was a fun game but so brutal to lose the way they did. In regards to the fans, there was booing, and there was a giant exodus. (Tonight was a much more boo-happy crowd, for what it's worth.) After the Grand Slam people poured out of the stadium. There were probably about 3,000-5,000 people left for the bottom of the 10th.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived