Brewer Fanatic

Brewers 14-21 since June 1st

Invader3K
We'll see what they do in their next 7 games against Washington and the Padres...maybe they win 5 of 7. But, there was talk going into the all-star break about their easier post all-star schedule too, yet they proceeded to split in Cincinnati and lose 2 of 3 @ PNC.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

Even if we win 7 in a row by sweeping the Nationals and Padres, it doesn't change the seriously flawed roster. There's still way too many games left against contenders and we appear capable of only winning 1/3 games when we get a good pitching performance or the offense wakes up for a day. We've been talking about the same flaws on this team since the 4-9 start to the season and now we are worse off than April due to injuries.

I would like them get a starting pitcher or a reliever, but only if they are signed for 2010 also, since we will need to be filling these holes in the off-season anyway.

The Cubs are streaking-15-7 in July. But 8 of those victories are against the Nats, Reds, and Pirates. They lost 2 of 3 to the Phillies and Braves, split with the Cards and took 3 of 4 from the Brewers in Wrigley.

From now through mid August they play Houston, Florida, Reds, Colorado, Phillies, Pirates, then head out West. Houston is facing series against the Cubs, Cards, Giants, Brewers, Marlins, Brewers, through Aug 17th.

The Cardinals' schedule looks similar to the Brewers. For the Crew to get back in this thing for real they'll have to beat up on the bad teams like the Cubs have done this month.

We'll see what they do in their next 7 games against Washington and the Padres...maybe they win 5 of 7. But, there was talk going into the all-star break about their easier post all-star schedule too, yet they proceeded to split in Cincinnati and lose 2 of 3 @ PNC.
This is a big week in my opinion. It's going to be hard to think highly of their chances if they go 3-4 against the Nationals and Padres. However, a 5-2 week and maybe I'll believe we can stay in the race.

Surely no one thinks bunting or a lack of it has anything to do with their poor record.

Well, I don't unless they do it too much, but absolutely lots of people think it is a big reason for the Brewers losses. Its right up there with lineup construction as oft cited criticism of any and all managers. I don't see much of it on this forum, but do you listen to any sports talk radio or poke around on other forums and blogs? "Small ball" is the usual phrase. I'd even like to see more butcher boy plays by the pitchers.

Formerly AKA Pete

the brewers need to win 3 to give doug some motivation to get a pitcher. A poor showing against the worst team in baseball would really not give melvin much motivation to get rid of a prospect.

Then maybe it's in the organization's best interest to lose this upcoming series. The Brewers should be sellers, not buyers.

I don't think they should be sellers.

I'm in favor of standing pat vs. trading top prospects for a half season rental. But if you're trading anyone on the 25 man roster this summer, it better be for a stretch run now. Otherwise, it's better to wait and trade Hardy, Hart or whoever during the offseason when there is more time to work out an optimal deal.

I'm fine with moving guys on the 25 if it fills a hole. For example, if there was a young(ish) starter to be had for Hardy I'd have no problems dealing him and bringing up Alcides. But I'd have a big problem moving prospects for any starter not named Lee or Halladay. At least with those two you are able to flip them over the winter to make up for whatever you gave traded away.

Surely no one thinks bunting or a lack of it has anything to do with their poor record.
Well, I don't unless they do it too much, but absolutely lots of people think it is a big reason for the Brewers losses.
Ah yes, even listing to our announcers one would think a succesful bunt is more important than a HR. In fact, HRs are seemingly a negative, because we "rely" too much on them. They should stop that relying.

Fewer HRs, more bunts, that's the ticket to success, if only Prince had 24 bunts, instead of 25 HRs...

Archived