Brewer Fanatic

2009-07-09 Cardinals (Pineiro) at Milwaukee (Parra) : 1:05 PM CT [Brewers lose, 5-1]

I was really worried when I saw that CV was coming in - didn't he single-handedly lose a game for Manny Parra earlier this season? He has not been good lately.

Disappointing outing by CV, sure, but if the Brewers lose, CV won't have done it "single-handedly."

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member
I know I'm late in posting this, but I could have thought of 2 or 3 better options in that situation than Villaneuva. Even knowing Coffey threw 2 innings yesterday.

CV is not good enough to be a 8th inning setup guy who get used in close games. At least a few run margin for him from now on. Coffey, DiF and Stetter only in close games.

Also, I love how everyone is so shocked that the backup catcher got used, as if you use your backup catcher like 80% of games so you better save him for extra innings.

Why would you walk the guy to get to Puljos. I know that sets up the DP but why put another guy on who is going to score now.
It wasn't an intentional walk -- Stetter just couldn't find the strike zone against his only hitter.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Community Moderator
The problem was that the bullpen did exactly the same things Parra usually does. Falling behind hitters, walking a backup catcher, and giving Pujols a 2-0 meatball.

I wasn't meaning to imply that CV lost this one by himself, but he did lose that Braves game by himself.

This one goes on CV, Stetter (some time to lose the strike zone), Coffey, Macha, and the offense, who have gotten destroyed by Joel Pineiro.

That is, of course, barring a miracle.

I have had a problem with Macha's bullpen decisions from day one this year. I anticipated this was going to be a loss as soon as Villanueva came in. I just don't understand why he doesn't put Difelice in these higher leverage situations when Coffey is not available. Then to bring in Coffey later just amazing. If he was available then, why not before?

Great start for Parra. The bright side is we need him to look good for the rest of the year. Unfortunately, we can't keep finding ways to lose if we have a chance in 2009.

I was trying to type it while he was up, but I wasn't logged in:

Why pitch to Pujols there? If it were me, I put him on in a heartbeat with 2nd base open and take my chances with Ludwick. Pujols is just way too good.

I didn't have too much problem with CV. He's only in there for 2 batters and I guess the thought is how much damage can he do? The problem is bringing in Coffey. He's 0-5 against Pujols but he had 40 pitches yesterday. You need a K there so leave in Stetter even if it's a rightie. Even if he still can't find the plate, walking Pujols isn't the worst thing in the world there.

Archived