Brewer Fanatic

NL vs AL

I was just in an argument with my girlfriend who is a Twins fan about how the AL is way better than the NL and that if the Twins were in the NL Central they'd be a playoff team. She claimed they are just stuck in a tough division and tough league. I would have to disagree with this because the NL has just as many top caliber teams like the Dodgers, Padres, Mets and Brewers to match with the Angels, Red Sox, and Tigers. The Yankees being down this year also plays into effect. What do you guys think?

I say be happy that your girlfriend knows what she believes in when it comes to baseball. Sounds like she knows what she's talking about (even if she's wrong). If you can carry on baseball conversations regularly without arguing, she's a keeper. Otherwise, it'd be like marrying a Cubs/Bears fan.

As for her argument, yes, the Twins are in a very tough division. Detroit and Cleveland are going to be in the fight all season. The Twins will only be viable if they can win games while DET and CLE beat each other up.

As for the Twins being a playoff team in the NL Central? I don't know about that. The division is weak but . . . which NL Central team would get the boot to keep it a 6-team division? Or does she consider playing all 6 teams and still being the best?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

The top teams in the AL are better than the top teams in the NL, the rest of the leagues are even. Pretty much Boston, Detroit and the Angels dominated interleague and the other slightly favored the NL overall.

If I had to break teams down into 5 tiers of elite, good, average, bad, terrible the Mets would be the only NL team that has a chance to be in the elite tier while there are 3-4 AL teams that could be, that would be the major difference in the two leagues.

I think the AL was clearly the better league last year, with the NL sort a balanced mediocrity.

In 2007 the NL is much improved, but on average the AL is better. One big reason for this is the AL seems to have more big name veteran stars; the over 30 superstar profile is present throughout the AL. The over 30 crowd in the NL isn't particularly impressive.

The other side to that is most of the young exciting talent seems concentrated in the NL. By 2009 the NL could be considerably better than the AL.

Archived