Brewer Fanatic

Dave Bush making two rehab starts [Latest: Bush roughed up in second start; complains of arm fatigue]

Jofis11ep
Maybe it's time to see CV in the rotation again.

Judging by how he's pitching out of the bullpen lately, I kind of hope not. Burns was fine in his last start, hopefully he can continue doing enough to keep the team in games...but it's looking more and more like Melvin has to make a move if this team will have any realistic chance at the post-season. We're not going to make it with this sub-standard piece meal current rotation for too much longer.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

CV is not a starter quality major league pitcher so I wouldnt' expect to try him again. He doesn't have good stuff (low K/9), he doesn't have good control (high BB/9), he doesn't have a significant groundball pitch (high FB%). He has the worst skillset you can have as a pitcher in baseball and that is not what you want from a SP.

Other than an LOB%/BABIP blip the last few games he has been very successful overall in his bullpen role, I'd think it is best to keep him in it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
8.5K/9 isn't good? I know that's really good for a starter but are relievers held to a different standard?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I really hope this isn't anything serious. I've been fairly optimistic about our playoff chances with the thought that Parra would pitch more consistently and Bush will come back healthy and pitch well. If Bush is going to miss an extended period, I think we need to get another pitcher to have a decent shot at the playoffs.

8.5K/9 isn't good? I know that's really good for a starter but are relievers held to a different standard?
He has 1 K per 4.5 PA as an RP and 1 per 6.3 as an SP. Generally speaking your K rate goes way up as an RP.

Burns reminds me somewhat of Randy Wells. He's not going to be as good as Bush when he is doing really well, but he's not going to be as bad as Bush a lot of the time as well.

Listening to Haudricourt when Homer is screaming for DiFelice to start, it sounds like the powers that be are determined to not do that, but I do wonder how he'd do. He's supposedly been working on a pitch just for LHers and his inability with LHers and his value in the bullpen are why he isn't given a shot.

Also, Homer sounds just like grandpa Simpson when he starts yelling.

Formerly AKA Pete

Including minor league numbers in the equation Randy Wells most likely is a Suppan level pitcher if anything, he has had a good streak his first time in the majors but I expect him to end up in the bullpen personally or more likely injured early since he relies so heavily on the slider.

• 2 weeks later...
If Bush is going to miss an extended period, I think we need to get another pitcher to have a decent shot at the playoffs.

I think if Bush is not coming back soon, they should probably pretty much give up on this year. They still might get lucky going with what they have, but they should not give away the future to get a pitcher who is going to start about 12 games.

Probably can't necessarily count on him being back this season, it's seeming like.
That's definitely what I started to mentally prepare myself for after reading that article. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived