Brewer Fanatic

Why isnt Rivera starting?

At least Baker puts speedy guys who can't hit at the top of the order.

Kendall and Rivera are likely to put up a similar OPS with Kendall having a better OBP and Rivera a better SLG.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jason Kendall has the worst OPS in baseball among qualified players over the past 3 years. He is now the Brewers' lead-off hitter. I can't stress enough how unacceptable I find this. You want the worst hitter in baseball getting as few at-bats as possible, not as many as possible. Moving him from 8th to lead-off is an additional 65 or so plate appearances over the remainder of the season. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE! I can't understand what Macha is doing. Melvin or Attanasio needs to put a stop to this lunacy. Kendall is the definition of a terrible hitter, having him hit leadoff is arguably worse than when the Cubs had Neifi Perez bat 1st or 2nd for most of 2005 because at least Neifi had a tiny bit of power. I almost feel like Macha needs to be taken to The Hague and shamed for all the world to see. This kind of terrible decision-making must be brought to light.
I couldn't echo your sentiment more whole-heartedly. Why not cameron? Give cam the extra 65 ABs maybe he'll hit 3-4 HRs with them. Recent extra inning games have really brought this issue to light. Can macha really want kendall hitting 6 times? It just doesn't pass the whiff test (pun intended). It stinks to high heaven. Counsel in the 2 hole. Are we really trying to compete for the playoffs going kendall counsel? That is an absolute joke and not a funny one either. I know we are hurt, but why on earth can we never see our full potenital in the line up:

Cameron

Hart

Braun

Fielder

Mcghee --2nd

Gamel --3rd

Hardy

Rivera

Not picking on you here, but many make it sound like our pitchers would be paralyzed on the mound if it weren't for Kendall's glowing presence behind the plate. I'm sure we'd still be able to get through games with someone else.

Nobody I have ever read or heard has said anything like this. I'd argue the converse is true. Again, Rivera isn't going to hit much better than Kendall and the defense will be worse. Using his 3 year average reminds me how the people who hated Gwynn would cite an average of his minor league stats that included his rookie ball and A ball stats.

And FWIW, Parra typically starts a game relying on a lot of fastballs. That's typical. Some how now his ability to throw strikes is dependent on the catcher.

Formerly AKA Pete

In essence you are comparing Macha to Dusty Baker. That frightens me. Make him stop.

Dusty > Macha > Yost.

I almost feel like Macha needs to be taken to The Hague and shamed for all the world to see. This kind of terrible decision-making must be brought to light.

It's almost like you are calling for some super-bloggers to emerge from a phone-booth (or their mother's basement)....

I'm not a big lineup guy, but manipulating your lineup so Jason Kendall gets more ABs, reminds me of dads that coach little league, leading their sucky kid off at SS.

Verified Member
Funny that nobody has pointed out that in the start last week where Parra pitched 7 shutout innings and finally established his fastball early in a game (for really the first time all year) the guy putting down fingers was Mike Rivera, who caught his perfect game in 2007. Coincidence? I think not.
He was sitting next to Kendall in the dugout so you still need to give credit for that game to Kendall, IMO.

Jason Kendall has the worst OPS in baseball among qualified players over the past 3 years. He is now the Brewers' lead-off hitter. I can't stress enough how unacceptable I find this. You want the worst hitter in baseball getting as few at-bats as possible, not as many as possible. Moving him from 8th to lead-off is an additional 65 or so plate appearances over the remainder of the season. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE! I can't understand what Macha is doing. Melvin or Attanasio needs to put a stop to this lunacy. Kendall is the definition of a terrible hitter, having him hit leadoff is arguably worse than when the Cubs had Neifi Perez bat 1st or 2nd for most of 2005 because at least Neifi had a tiny bit of power. I almost feel like Macha needs to be taken to The Hague and shamed for all the world to see. This kind of terrible decision-making must be brought to light.
This is a class A rant, my friends. Well done.
3TO Apostle

• 2 weeks later...
Well Rivera is starting today for the first time in a while, and it appears Kendall's savy, verteran, pitch calling and staff handling abilities have proven to be useless as the entire staff is terrible...So, why does he ever play over Rivera ever? Why cant Rivera get a 5 games in a row?

Archived