Brewer Fanatic

Why isnt Rivera starting?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I mentioned this in last nights in-game thread. I took a break from watching the Brewers during the Cubs series. So I don't know if he got any starts or ABs then. But when was the last time he played? If it's gonna be this way, I'd rather just have another pitcher in the bullpen take his roster spot and have Kendall start with McGehee as emergency catcher, because we obviously have no need for a #2 catcher.

Because he calls a great game and really works the pitchers well.....yada....yada....yada. I am so sick of hearing that out of Brian and Bill. The guy is flat out terrible. He isn't throwing guys out and twice in the past 10 days has allowed pass balls that have directly lead to runs (Minnesota game and I think the other was against the Cubs). I have no idea why they continue to run this guy out there day in and day out but it is extremely frustrating. After the Crew loaded the bases in the second yesterday Kendall came to the plate and I looked at my wife and said "Here's the end of the rally!" I would have rather had Yo up there.

From what I have seen Rivera is far from horrible behind the plate. And besides its not Kendall has been playing mistake free defense either and its also not like the pitchers are having awesome games with his pitch selection.

If you don't like Kendall's defense then you will really hate Rivera's defense. Rivera's offense doesn't even offset his horrible defense behind the plate.

And Kendall's so-called good defense (honestly, I'm not seeing that this season... good at blocking pitches, yes... but no throwing arm weapon) doesn't even come close to offsetting his horrible offense.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

How do we even know if Rivera's defense is terrible if we don't ever get to see him play? Is his BP catching that terrible? I remember him having one bad game defensively earlier this year. But other than that, I really have had no beef with him behind the plate the rare times I've seen him play.

i dont know about you guys but i like knowing that when a runner is on first in the 9th with one out, i can count on kendall to ground into a double play. i know its not as dramatic as braun hitting a game winning home run. but at least you know what going to happen with kendall.

Jason Kendall is finally the officially THE worst offensive player in ALL of major league baseball (among qualified players with enough PAs), at least according to fan graphs weighted on-base average. http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2009&month=0

Comparitively Rivera's offensive upgrade outweighs his defensive downgrade from Kendall. Rivera should play at least more than Kendall, if not completely switch their current roles.

i dont know about you guys but i like knowing that when a runner is on first in the 9th with one out, i can count on kendall to ground into a double play. i know its not as dramatic as braun hitting a game winning home run. but at least you know what going to happen with kendall.
Hey give Kendall some credit, some times he managed to pop out to RF. He did have that Triple/Error earlier this year against the Twins, that is pretty much his only highlight this year.

Did anyone else cringe when Kendall came up with a guy on 3rd(Prince) and less then 2 outs?

I know its not rational but I find myself thinking " There is no way JK is going to hit a fly ball deep enough to score Prince" or if a guy is on 2nd I always just assume its going to take 2 hits to score him because the outfield is playing him like he is a pitcher.

Riveria isn't great but Macha needs to at least put him in a couple of times a week.

I mean he is treating Kendall like he is Joe Mauer or something.

Does Kendall have some power over Managers like Yost and Macha? How can they play their catcher at his age with his terrible bat this often? Don't get me wrong, I know Rivera is sketchy on defense but we need some offense. Rivera at least has the ability to drive a ball.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I've said it before. Kendall has to be into voodoo, hypnosis or have some compromising photos of someone. Otherwise there is no reason for him to play as much as he does.

As for Rivera's defense, I'm surprised he remembers how to put his gear on with as little as he's playing.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think it's pretty obvious Rivera is not a good defender, game caller, and so on, when compared to Kendall. Neither Yost or Macha dream of playing him more than they have to.
I think its pretty obvious Kendall is not good at hitting for average, getting on-base, slugging, driving in runs or scoring runs, when compared to Rivera.

I can't believe that no one has pointed out the obvious answer - Rivera is Dave Bush's personal catcher. When Bush went on the DL, effectively so did Rivera. They'll both be back after the All Star Break. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Archived