Brewer Fanatic

Blue Jays release BJ Ryan (Update, reply #14: signed by Cubs to minor league deal)

As reported by Jordan Bastian (sorry no link), the Blue Jays will eat the approximately $15 million left on his contract.

Which of course begs the question, at what point will the Brewers decide they can eat the rest of Bill Hall's contract?

Of course, if the Crew did that and brought up another prospect to waste away on the bench in place of Hall, we'd hear nothing but complaining on that score.
I think you're wrong about that (because I believe it would be Heether, and that's an appropriate role for him). And I think we are pretty close to seeing it happen.

I could understand if Hall was blocking a top prospect from coming up but we already have our top prospect up here and he's not playing anyway. Releasing Hall wouldn't change that. I guess we could release Hall and bring up Heether but I don't see that it buys us much.

ETA, if Hall is causing internal problems because he's not playing then by all means cut his butt loose.

Verified Member

If I remember correctly, I've read that he's actually whined about not closing the games out. I think they got sick of him and his ego, not to mention his performance.
If I remember correctly, they did the same with Frank Thomas last year. Fairly consistent behavior for Canada.

After he came off the DL on May 15th he made 18 appearances to the tune of a 3.15 ERA. Granted it was a wild 3.15 as he walked 10 while only K'ing 9. Then Cito sat him for 6 days. He made his last appearance on July 5th when he went 2/3rd, giving up a homer and 3 runs to the Yankees. That was it for Toronto.

I think he'd be a smart risk. If he'd accept a 10 day minor league assignment and get some regular work down there, he might be able to help any team in the stretch drive. Hard throwing lefties are hard to find.

What is the risk of signing Ryan? Does Toronto have to pay the big salary and other teams can sign him for the minimum? I honestly don't know and can't remember the rules regarding these situations. If so, I see it has pretty low risk, who cares if his arm falls off from bad mechanics he is probably as good or better than any other league minimum guy and actually has some upside if healthy. If he ends up with a league minimm deal I am sure he will be a little choosy about where he goes.

Archived