Brewer Fanatic

The JS Sports Staff [Latest: Witrado leaves for Sporting News, replaced by Todd Rosiak]

thebruce44

The run distribution stuff was annoying when they started doing it during the nine-game losing streak, and it's only gotten worse. It's just a convenient way for them to complain about what's been one of the best offenses in the National League in terms of overall numbers.

It can go the other way, too. Take out the 12-2 loss to Chicago, 11-3 loss to Atlanta, 15-3 loss to Minnesota, 13-5 loss to Florida, and 15-2 loss to San Francisco and this is one of the best pitching staffs in the league!

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the word "ridicule" is an accurate description of what one finds in a newspaper, it doesn't seem likely that the newspaper is doing a professional job.

Adding to what endaround and cc have said, presenting the run distribution stuff as anything other than "interesting" trivia is simply an attempt to create a story that isn't there.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Presenting the run distribution stuff as anything other than "interesting" trivia is simply an attempt to create a story that isn't there.

Recant! This would be the first time TH & AW have done anything like this!
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Parra is an incredible underachiever, and probably the 5th best SP currently in the rotation. He still hasn't gone more than 6 innings, despite better stuff than anyone except Yo. That "sit down" talk has merit, though unlikely if Bush is dealt.

Except that the Brewers basically need to treat Parra like a newly-called up prospect, letting him succeed & fail, to find out if he can be a viable starter. There is absolutely nothing gained from sitting him down, and you lose out on any chance to see if the lefty with the 95mph heater can pan out for you. Taking him out of the rotation would be indefensibly bad, there is absolutely nothing this team is playing for besides player development at this point. With regards to Manny, the state this team is in is a bit of a luxury, since the Brewers can actually just let him keep starting & not get hung up on whether or not he got shelled his last time out.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Parra has certainly not taken advantage of being put back in the rotation. I have no problem with them using him as a starter because they have to suffer through it to see if there is any hope of his ever being counted on as a starter. This season is pretty much lost and they have to start removing question marks at some point. If they leave him in the rotation for the rest of the year to sink or swim I would be fine with it.

His line as a starter for 9 games is 47 IP, 1.83 WHIP, 6.70 ERA, 2.17 K:BB, 9.6K/9, 4.4 BB/9. He still sports that great K rate but that is about it.

Even tossing out his last start where he was charged with 10 runs doesn't improve things a whole lot more. He still has a 1.78 WHIP, 5.40 ERA, 9.9K/9, 4.5BB/9.

He just gives up too many baserunners lots of hits and walks. His BABIP against is high but in his career it has been high all the way through other than a fluky year in AAA. His strand rate stays right around 70% and he gives up a fair amount of HR's. The only thing I can take from his results is he has the wicked stuff to get the K's but just can't keep from throwing that straight as an arrow pitch over the plate that gets hammered. Frustrating.

Except that the Brewers basically need to treat Parra like a newly-called up prospect, letting him succeed & fail, to find out if he can be a viable starter. There is absolutely nothing gained from sitting him down, and you lose out on any chance to see if the lefty with the 95mph heater can pan out for you. Taking him out of the rotation would be indefensibly bad, there is absolutely nothing this team is playing for besides player development at this point. With regards to Manny, the state this team is in is a bit of a luxury, since the Brewers can actually just let him keep starting & not get hung up on whether or not he got shelled his last time out.

He's started 66 games over the last 3 seasons. That's more of a chance than a lot of players get.

What frustrates many of us is that even his "good" games are really borderline quality starts, at best.

In regards to the lack of runs in some games, I guess it boils down to what other teams are doing. If we're on pace with winning teams/most of the league, it isn't a big deal. I just wish JS would provide all of that information.

Not to go to off topic, but the Braves feed spoke about Parra and his 'stuff' and they feel he'll figure it out. It just might not be Milwaukee. In other words, I don't think Parra is a guy that doesn't have value. The Brewers just need to figure out if they need to deal him (because he won't improve) or if they have to just let him keep starting. I'd vote to let him keep starting.

"The Brewers just need to figure out if they need to deal him (because he won't improve) or if they have to just let him keep starting. I'd vote to let him keep starting."

I agree. One of the only good things about not being in contention is that you have the luxury of giving extended looks at players you otherwise wouldn't/couldn't. The Brewers need to take advantage of it.

"The Brewers just need to figure out if they need to deal him (because he won't improve) or if they have to just let him keep starting. I'd vote to let him keep starting."

I agree. One of the only good things about not being in contention is that you have the luxury of giving extended looks at players you otherwise wouldn't/couldn't. The Brewers need to take advantage of it.

I hope that is what they do instead of insisting they are still in a playoff race and try to win games. To be honest I don't have much faith they will play for next year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Time to shed a ray of sunlight on this thread. From Tom Haudricort's write-up of the 11-9 loss at Pittsburgh:

"Given that quick nine-run lead, Lincoln proceeded to vomit all over himself."

Awesome, awesome, awesome.

My favorite part from that Witrado post (aside from the title of "Braun trends (geek edition)"):

But I'll warn you, if you're not a numbers freak/geek/nerd who loves breakdowns, be careful with this post. There are plenty of charts and stats that read like alphabet soup but provide solid information.

Yeah, because those line graphs showing Braun's power trending downward are extremely complicated stuff, and it's way too easy for our puny minds to get lost at FanGraphs.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I have to give props to Haudricourt for this line in his latest blog post:

The one starting pitcher not ravaged over the last four games, Chris Capuano (one run in five innings on Monday), was subsequently removed from the rotation. That’ll teach him to be effective.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I have to give props to Haudricourt for this line in his latest blog post:

The one starting pitcher not ravaged over the last four games, Chris Capuano (one run in five innings on Monday), was subsequently removed from the rotation. That’ll teach him to be effective.

Haha, that line from Haudricourt is pure gold. And it is sad because it is true.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Here is tonight's lineups.

BREWERS
2B Rickie Weeks
RF Corey Hart
LF Ryan Braun
1B Prince Fielder
3B Casey McGehee
C Jonathan Lucroy
CF Carlos Gomez
SS Alcides Escobar
LHP Chris Narveson

NATIONALS
CF Nyjer Morgan
2B Cristian Guzman
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
LF Josh Willingham
RF Michael Morse
C Ivan Rodriguez
SS Ian Desmond
RHP Craig Stammen

Nice grammar there guy.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Parra is only even mentioned in the very last paragraph:

"Parra bounced back from the worst outing of his career (10 runs in 5 1/3 innings in Atlanta) with six strong innings, allowing four hits and two runs."

That was positive.... I think?

Archived