Brewer Fanatic

The JS Sports Staff [Latest: Witrado leaves for Sporting News, replaced by Todd Rosiak]

thebruce44
Do you honestly expect Braun to say anything differently? And do you expect Braun to go on the record saying anything differently?

This is the Deputy GM we're talking about, so yeah, kinda. If he didn't feel that way, I suspect he'd either give us an honest answer or not say anything at all.

If Braun gives a clear answer to a question, I absolutely believe what he says.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most notably, Rickey Henderson back in the 80s.

"If they're going to pay me like (Mike) Gallego, I'm going to play like Gallego."

One of my favorite Rickey quotes ever. Then again, as far as I can tell, Rickey only griped about it. He went out and played like a future Hall of Famer. And, in hindsight, it is kind of absurd that Mike Gallego ever made as much as Rickey.

Robert

I don't think it's that far fetched to think that somewhere in the back of his mind he wonders if he could have done better with that contract.

If you are referring to the human condition, and our tendency to second guess the decisions that affect our lives, then I suppose he would have those thoughts. Do I regret taking the airport spur this morning? Absolutely, but I am not going to blame the DOT for the miserable experience. To suggest these thoughts and second guessing will translate into malcontent is a whole other issue, and an issue that Witrado and others want to dig up. What is a reporter's job? To report I imagine. It shouldn't be to create the drama to advance a career or sell newspapers, which is what I think some of them do regularly.

So you're trying to equate your morning transportation to Ryan Braun's decision to possibly leave 40-50 million dollars on the table? You're right, to suggest he's going to become a malcontent IS another issue. I'm not defending that point of view.

I also don't know that I understand where the DOT correlation comes into play. I didn't suggest Braun was blaming anyone, rather I find it not only possible, but probably that he likely questions his decision to sign the contract he did when he sees others pulling in huge contracts.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

This is why stuff like this can be so dangerous though, it didn't take long for you to connect that Witrado has more access than us, so it makes sense to be true. But the facts don't support the belief in the least.
I understand I'm playing the Devils advocate here in the sense that I believe Braun may second guess his decision to sign that 8 year 45 million dollar deal.

That said, I don't believe he's doing anything to try and force his way out of Milwaukee, nor do I believe he will play anywhere else for the next 5 years...(at least).

(edit: long nested quote --1992)

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Its all risk vs. reward. The longer you wait to sign the bigger the risk you are taking on as a player. Likewise, the earlier you sign a player, the bigger the risk you are taking on as an organization. Braun didn't leave money on the table. He signed a market deal at a time where he felt comfortable with his risk tolerance, and the club did the same. Looking at this stuff 4 years down the road is moot. I KNOW Braun is smart enough to understand when and why he signed the contract, and will remember that reason.

The what if game is really fun though. What IF Braun would have been injured the past two years, and only played in 60 games total. WOW, says all the fans and media, he sure ripped the Brewers on that deal.

It should also be noted that at the time, Braun's contract was the largest ever for a player with so little service.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The what if game is really fun though. What IF Braun would have been injured the past two years, and only played in 60 games total. WOW, says all the fans and media, he sure ripped the Brewers on that deal.
Yeah, but that didn't happen. I would be shocked if Braun didn't feel at least some remorse about signing the contract he signed. That's not to say I think he'll do anything about that feeling or hold a grudge over it. He was probably smart to sign the deal that he did but he also probably cost himself at least $50 million (conservative estimate, imo) by doing so. It would be only natural for him to think about what he could do with that extra money.

• 5 weeks later...
This is quite possibly the worst game recap I have ever read. I didn't watch the game, but all I learned from this article is that Rickie Weeks was hot in the beginning of the year and no longer is. There are 21 paragraphs in the article, and 14 exclusively focus on Weeks and his slump. One player in a slump is certainly newsworthy, but never should of the sole focus of a game story. Just an embarrassing effort from Witrado.

This is quite possibly the worst game recap I have ever read. I didn't watch the game, but all I learned from this article is that Rickie Weeks was hot in the beginning of the year and no longer is. There are 21 paragraphs in the article, and 14 exclusively focus on Weeks and his slump. One player in a slump is certainly newsworthy, but never should of the sole focus of a game story. Just an embarrassing effort from Witrado.
The Weeks stuff would've made for a really good off-day feature, but I agree it doesn't make much sense to focus on Weeks in regards to last night's game. Talk about Gomez having to leave early, talk about Bush not getting support for a good start again, talk about the fact that the Brewers as a team haven't been this cold offensively since 2005, etc.

I can't wait to see what Witrado's recaps of the Dodgers series are going to look like. Those are always fun.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Verified Member
I have never been one to bash Anthony Witrado, and I never read his articles deliberately looking for something to criticize. However, I have to admit that I was stunned at how many grammatical errors, spelling mistakes, and run-on sentences Witrado had in the Brewers Blog when writing about Carlos Gomez needing an MRI. I know the blogs are somewhat informal compared to proper news articles, but his writing style was still very alarming. It was almost as if he writes the way people casually speak rather than writing the way a professional journalist would.

i'd bet that blogs aren't read by the copy editors since they aren't a part of the printed paper. AW probably wrote the thing in a bumpy cab ride back to the hotel (from the bar).

Lo Cain isn't an option, he hurt himself legging out a double and hasn't had an AB since Apr 25th.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Minor League DL is only 7 days, he can come back any time, but I doubt he would go right to AZ, though I guess stranger things have happened.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I've never really noticed Witrado's writing too much, but I'm starting to see what people are saying.

In reading his story about the Brewers 8-2 loss to the Braves, I find him overly critical of Doug Davis. He seems to treat the first 4 2/3 quality innings as a fluke and then goes on to spend most of the rest of the article slamming Davis. For some reason, his writing "...loyalists like to let their imaginations run wild sometimes," in reference to fans hoping for a no-hitter after he had gone over half the game without allowing a base hit irked me. It's like there was no way in hell that a no-hitter could have been possible and anyone hoping for it was delusional. Obviously, it was a long-shot, but heck, he had gone 4 2/3 innings already and had looked pretty good, so why not?

I think this is an articulately written piece that's correctly placed in his blog. It's not required that we agree with it.

If these opinions filter into any articles or game wrap-ups, then I would see a problem. That's happened before.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I didn't have a problem with the article.
Me neither. Haudricourt is giving his opinion that it would be really difficult for Macha to replace Hoffman, so he's of the opinion that Hoffman should go to Macha and pull himself from that role with a DL stint or a "work on something with Peterson" angle so Macha doesn't have to make that decision.

Archived