Brewer Fanatic

The JS Sports Staff [Latest: Witrado leaves for Sporting News, replaced by Todd Rosiak]

thebruce44
  • Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe they're paying attention to his .170 avg this season with runners in scoring position.

Which is quite likely to drastically skyrocket the rest of the way. Guys don't switch on & off being clutch, it's just small samples.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Maybe they're paying attention to his .170 avg this season with runners in scoring position.

Which is quite likely to drastically skyrocket the rest of the way. Guys don't switch on & off being clutch, it's just small samples.

It's been around .170 all season. It's now 129 plate appearances. Want to talk OPS? Okay, his OPS with RISP is .619.

Want a larger sample of ineptitude? He's had 231 plate appearances with a total of 298 men on base. He's driven in exactly 22 of the 298 (7.3%). That's the worst ratio of any regular in all of baseball including singles hitters.

JohnBriggs12[/b]]
TooLiveBrew[/b]]
DrugBust[/b]]Maybe they're paying attention to his .170 avg this season with runners in scoring position.

It's been around .170 all season. It's now 129 plate appearances. Want to talk OPS? Okay, his OPS with RISP is .619.

Want a larger sample of ineptitude? He's had 231 plate appearances with a total of 298 men on base. He's driven in exactly 22 of the 298 (7.3%). That's the worst ratio of any regular in all of baseball including singles hitters.

Just curious why you think this is significant JohnBriggs? Do you think he is a different player with RISP? Is he nervous, tenses up? I am not trying to patronize you or anything of the sort, I am just trying to understand why some people find this significant and how they justify it.

Another instance of Witrado's writing being less-than-fluid:

"A game after being hit in the head with a fastball and having to get a CT scan, CF Carlos Gomez is expectedly missing from tonight's lineup."

I don't know how he typed "expectedly" without having his spell check yell at him.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Firefox's spell checker took a nosedive with the release of 3.0. 3.5 and 3.6 haven't improved it. I thought the spell checker in Firefox 2.0 was much more trustworthy.

Still, I concur that Witrado wrote a particularly awkward sentence. It might be something you'd let slide on in a blog setting if it were written by someone whose grammar and usage weren't characteristically lacking. In Anthony's case, it just fuels the fire.

Either of these would be an improvement.

CF Carlos Gomez, not surprisingly, is missing from tonight's lineup after being hit in the head with a fastball and having to get a CT scan.
Not surprisingly, CF Carlos Gomez is missing from tonight's lineup

after being hit in the head with a fastball and having to get a CT scan.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Not that the AP is any better......

From the Game recap as found on CBSsports.com

'Two years later, the Cubs won the NL Central and the Brewers were the league's wild-card team. Now, both are playing out the string with two-thirds of the schedule remaining. '

Yeah...

You knew me as Myday2001.

Reading Witrado's articles are just painful. It reminds me of proofreading an AP English paper written by a 17 year old. You can just tell when someone is trying to write above their own abilities. Here's one of those great Witrado sentences from today's game writeup:

"For the most part they crumpled whenever a scoring chance presented itself against the Houston Astros to start this seven game homestand, and it appeared that more inconsistency, the word of the season, would render them losers."

That is just embarrassingly bad, in my opinion. I wouldn't let that be handed into a high school teacher but it's apparently good enough to get published in the Journal?

It's not the blog, it's in the damn paper. I want to be able to pick up the sports section of my city's newspaper and be informed and entertained by articles about my favorite sports team. It painful to have to read the ramblings of someone who can't write and doesn't even like the team he has to cover.

Maybe you find his writing intelligent and thoughtful. Maybe you don't even read the newspaper.

I don't know why you guys would expect anything different than the rest of that paper. The entire thing is a piece of garbage.

The only thing that paper is good for is lining your pet's litter box. And since I don't have a pet, that paper isn't allowed in my house.

I honestly cannot believe this topic has 13 pages. Here's a thought, why don't those who seem to be personally scorned by the Journal Sentinel's writing drive down and complain to the management in person. In fact, those who think they can do it better, go apply for a job with the JS. As far as AW and him "not liking the team," that's the way it is supposed to be. If you're a reporter, you are supposed to remain unbiased and impartial (or at least appear that way). If he was a Brewers fan, he would be no better than some of the "media" on sports talk radio. Is he more blunt in some of the things he says? Sure but no worse than TH. Side note, a leadoff inside-the-park homerun is a pretty good way to start a game!

Archived