Brewer Fanatic

You have to give to get (Fielder to ? this offseason)

I'm not ready to throw in the towel this season even though this team really ticks me off lately. I am, however, starting to look toward next season for possible upgrades.

My scenario is likely to draw some heat but I would like to see what we could get for Prince this offseason. He has AL written all over him w/in the next several years and I would like to get the maximum return for him that is possible. Think a Herschel Walker from the Cowboys to the Vikings type of haul.

Prince Fielder to ?

Let's start with the Red Sox. They have pitching to burn and can afford to go out and sign established pitching. I'm asking for Clay Buchholz, Hunter Jones, Felix Doubront and Casey Kelley.

Now it's your turn. Who would you like from another team while, keep in mind, you trade your MVP caliber 1b/DH?

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The team that acquires him gets him under control for 2 seasons, even if they DONT resign him. Remember that Miguel Cabrera with 2 years left netted top prospects Andrew Miller, Cameron Maybin and three other prospects including now serviceable major leaguer Burke Badenhop and two others.

I still think that the Red Sox make the most sense right now. I would want 4 players at least. My demand would start with Clay Buchholz and Lars Anderson. I would then ask for either Justin Masterson or Manny Delcarmen and then finally someone like Stolmy Pimentel.

The perfect fit would be San Francisco for Matt Cain, but the Giants refuse to move him, and I dont blame them. If Johnathon Sanchez wasnt such a dissapointment this year, he would also be an option, and the Brewers could also get something else out of the deal.

The Angels would be another fit for one of their young starters, maybe a deal built around Jarred Weaver or Joe Saunders.

I would also vote to keep Prince around... but to weigh in on the proposed BOS trade, I agree with RyDogg & would want to see Lars Anderson included if we shipped off Fielder.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I would do everything possible to keep Prince in a Brewers uniform for a long time.... Build each year around the "triplets" Braun, Gallardo, and Fielder! What teams have a better young threesome than that? A true #3 hitter, a true #4 hitter and a true ace!

I am going to have to agree with RyDogg. I believe the time to trade Fielder to the Angels was this last off season. I believe the Brewers can get a Teixeira like haul from trading Fielder this off season though or something like what Florida got for Cabrera.

I don't see many other teams other than Boston, Angels, Dodgers, and the Giants being able to trade for Fielder though. The Giants maybe pushing it with Sandoval being their 3B who should probably be playing 1B.

The Rangers are also an interesting team to trade Fielder to but I'm not sure the pitching would be there (the Rangers are probably not going to trade their pitching prospects for Fielder).

Rangers trade: Fielder to the Rangers for Teagarden, Smoak, and some other prospects (I'm not so sure on the Rangers system after Feliz, Teagarden, and Smoak) . I don't believe the Rangers would put Feliz into the mix. Feliz is the Rangers best pitching prospect and I would doubt they would add him into the list of players available though.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel this season even though this team really ticks me off lately. I am, however, starting to look toward next season for possible upgrades.

My scenario is likely to draw some heat but I would like to see what we could get for Prince this offseason. He has AL written all over him w/in the next several years and I would like to get the maximum return for him that is possible. Think a Herschel Walker from the Cowboys to the Vikings type of haul.

Prince Fielder to ?

Let's start with the Red Sox. They have pitching to burn and can afford to go out and sign established pitching. I'm asking for Clay Buchholz, Hunter Jones, Felix Doubront and Casey Kelley.

Now it's your turn. Who would you like from another team while, keep in mind, you trade your MVP caliber 1b/DH?

I don't think the Sox would include Buchholz and Kelly in the same deal, but I think you're on target as far as value. Maybe something like Kelly, Bowden, Doubront, Pete Hissey, and Hunter Jones would be more likely, but whatever, that's not really my point.

Unfortunately for the Brewers, I don't really see the Sox being too interested in Fielder. I think they have hopes for Lars at 1B and will likely move Bay to DH in a year or 2 aftere Papi's gone (assuming Bay resigns, I guess). By that time hopefully Reddick, Kalish, or CH Lin will be ready for the OF.

I guess Fielder is a definite possibility, but it will depend on a lot of variables that could change over the next couple months.

I wouldn't trade Prince. I'd keep him for 2010 and 2011 and try to make a run in that window

This.

Prince is far better and more valuable than Matt Cain, I've never understood the fascination with giving Prince away that some people on this board have.

This.

Prince is far better and more valuable than Matt Cain, I've never understood the fascination with giving Prince away that some people on this board have.

Agreed. To me it would take the Brewers obviously not being in contention going into or in the middle of his last season. Prince is an incredible MVP quality talent. You get as much time out of the player that you can get. You will never get equal value in the trade because there are so few players that are that valuable.

Agreed. To me it would take the Brewers obviously not being in contention going into or in the middle of his last season. Prince is an incredible MVP quality talent. You get as much time out of the player that you can get. You will never get equal value in the trade because there are so few players that are that valuable.
I'm not sure that everyone is catching on here. To me, it seems as though the Brewers could trade Prince and make their team better than it would be with him. Pitching is what the Brewers need...they are really short in that area. Adding an arm or 2 that would be an upgrade over what is on the team would be worth it to me. Add another 1 or 2 for the future and the trade would make more sense. Just my $.02. Pitching > hitting.
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Remember that Miguel Cabrera with 2 years left netted top prospects Andrew Miller, Cameron Maybin and three other prospects including now serviceable major leaguer Burke Badenhop and two others.

The Tigers also got a pre-meltdown Dontrelle Willis in that deal too though IIRC.

I'd love to see him go to SF for pitching, something either like Matt Cain or Madison Baumgartner. The only question is who replaces Fielder at first, and in the lineup? Without adequate protection Ryan Braun won't see half the pitches he sees this year.

I'm with several others in that we should be firmly in "I'll only trade him to you if you're a compulsive idiot" mode right now. If someone makes a dumb enough offer, I'd be fine trading Fielder, Braun, and Gallardo, but the chance of any of those offers being made is roughly the same as a Jared Fernandez 20-win season. There's absolutely no rush to trade Prince; may as well make another potential playoff run with him and take what may end up being only nominally less when he has just one year left.

I'm not sure that everyone is catching on here. To me, it seems as though the Brewers could trade Prince and make their team better than it would be with him. Pitching is what the Brewers need...they are really short in that area. Adding an arm or 2 that would be an upgrade over what is on the team would be worth it to me. Add another 1 or 2 for the future and the trade would make more sense. Just my $.02. Pitching > hitting.
I get what you're saying. If we were talking about trading just about anybody besides Braun and Fielder, I would agree. But getting a bunch of prospects - particularly pitching prospects - I have no interest in. Fielder is a bonafide MVP-caliber player. I think you're right that pitching is greater than hiting most of the time, but not with guys like Prince and Braunie. I just don't think you can get the value back; not even close.

I'm thinking of a deal to the Mets in the offseason. Mets give up Holt, who's got a live fastball and is one of their top prospects in AA, Parnell, and Ike Davis. Ike Davis was their first round draft choice last year. He is in AA. After a slow start last year adjusting to wood bats, he's found his power stroke with a 900 ops at AA. He's got speed, a gun for an arm, so he could move to right, and a very good glove.

I would never want Prince away from Milwaukee, but if the Brewers had to trade him....trade with the Giants for Madison Bumgarner, Angel Villalona, and some other filler. We'd have our #2 pitcher of the future, ready for next year and a future stud 1st baseman.

I would not trade Prince for pitching. While the pitching would be better, the hole created in our lineup would be huge. Braun and Fielder make for one of the best 3/4s in the game. The rest of our lineup is too inconsistent to be counted on.

Prince is probably #2 in the NL for MVP right now. I can imagine him having a huge 2011 in a contract year too.

I wouldn't trade Prince. I'd keep him for 2010 and 2011 and try to make a run in that window

This.

Agreed! Even more so than his 50 home run season, he is showing how special of a hitter he truly is. He is Pujols-lite. (No pun intended)

But you also have to consider the fact that you will probably lose him because he won't want to sign for what we're likely to offer. I'd love to keep Prince for another 5 years, but I've always seen the past 2 seasons what hoping for draft picks is going to get you. I'd probably keep him for another year than more than likely trade him before the final year of his contract. Hopefully by this time next season we'll have a better idea of some of our pitching prospects like Anundson, Braddock, Rogers, Odorizzi, and Arnett, in which case you can maybe trade Fielder for some hitters.

Archived