Brewer Fanatic

Dana Eveland: DFA

Must have done it right after last night's bad outing.

From an Oakland website:

Eveland was placed on optional waivers after the game, as the A's intend to return him to Sacramento. Because Eveland debuted in the majors more than three years ago, he has to be placed on optional waivers - where teams can claim him over a 48-hour period but are unlikely to do so - before being returned to the minors. He's still on the 40-man roster.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

even though he struggled big time this year in the majors, he was solid at AAA.

I don't know if 33 walks to 46 K's and a 3.49 ERA in 69.2 innings is really solid AAA numbers. His major league numbers are just awful. He walked more than he struck out and has an ERA of 8. His control makes JDLR look like Greg Maddux by comparison. I'd rather go with McClung than recycle Eveland again. Most certainly would exhaust all in house options first before trying something that desperate.

Dude just isn't very good and, a few flashes aside, never really has been.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Didn't he have a period last year where he was very successful?

Maybe it's the desperation I'm feeling after watching our starting pitching this year... but I'd love to give the guy another chance.

Maybe it's the desperation I'm feeling after watching our starting pitching this year... but I'd love to give the guy another chance.

He had a period last year where he had a low ERA, his peripherals were pretty terrible while doing it though. He just had a good run of a low BABIP and not giving up as many HR as would be expected from his number of flyballs.

He had a period last year where he had a low ERA, his peripherals were pretty terrible while doing it though. He just had a good run of a low BABIP and not giving up as many HR as would be expected from his number of flyballs.

Aren't you a big Parra fan Ennder? Eveland's 09 numbers were virtually identical to Parra's. Both made 29 starts. Eveland pitched 168 innings with a 4.34 ERA and went 9-9 with a 1.482 WHIP. Parra went 10-8 with a 4.39 ERA and a 1.542 WHIP in 166 innings. Eveland walked 77. Parra walked 75. Parra had more Ks 149 to Eveland's 119. Opposing hitters hit .278 vs. Parra and .269 vs. Eveland. The BABIP vs. Eveland was .313. That's not extraordinary.

I don't know how you can say his peripherals were terrible.

Now as for 2009, the Parra/Eveland comparisons continue and they've both been awful in the big leagues.

The one difference between the two over the past 2 years is Eveland has to face the DH and Parra gets to face the pitcher. Eveland's also a year younger. Otherwise they're pretty much the same, both struggling, fairly young lefties with decent stuff who struggle with command issues against big league hitters.

I don't know how you can say his peripherals were terrible.

His peripherals were actually better in the second half than the first half for what it is worth. Also if Parra stuck out significantly fewer batters I wouldn't think much of him either. Taking away 20+% of a pitchers K really changes him. Also I'm not sure I'd say I'm big on Parra, I think he has a #2 upside and thought he'd be in the 4.00-4.50 ERA range most likely this season which makes him a Ted Lilly type of pitcher with a bit more upside, to be fair I still think he can do that if they fix the problems he has pitching with runners on 1st base.

Eveland in his career now has 6.7 K/9 and 4.69 BB/9 with a 49.3 GB%

Parra has an 7.98 K/9 and 4.48 BB/9 with an 48.7 GB%

Even with the terrible year this year he has struck out more with fewer walks and comperable GB%. Parra doesn't have to face a DH but Eveland pitches in a big time pitchers park with a better defense behind him so that is a wash most likely.

I'd happily take Eveland over Narveson as the second lefty right now. He could be one of those pitchers that needs to find some success in a new role in the Big leagues before returning to starting (like Wainwright)

Eveland is still fat, soft, and lazy. Thats why we dumped him in the 1st place, and thats why Arizona dumped him too. He had talent, but his character makes it wasted talent.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

He has a sub 3 ERA in AAA, and is still just 25...he'd easily be our top pitching prospect. He may end up in the bullpen, but he'll make a lot of money in the game.
His birth certificate may say 25, but his body says 45. He'll only make alot of money if you consider a AAA salary huge money. As a prospect, he's nowhere near close to top. He'd compare to Chris Cody, who doesn't make the top 10 either.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

There's a reason the Brewers parted ways with him in the first place. A small market team doesn't trade a prospect like him if they thought he'd be worth keeping as a rebuilding block.

His Baseball Reference career comparable is Odalis Perez, with David Weathers a little further down the list. Not terrible types of pitchers to have around, but there was talk in the past about his attitude or demeanor that soured him to Brewers' brass.

Archived