Brewer Fanatic

JJ Hardy for Clay Buchholz?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure how Dave Cameron figures that exactly, with no proven track record other than minor league dominance. Last year when they had Fielder at 30 and Shields at 29 I thought they were pretty close. Clay doesn't belong at 38 in my opinion, Feliz has more upside, but he doesn't have any MLB track record. He's being converted to relief to get his feet wet, but he'll be in the rotation for Texas next season. Hansen doesn't really belong at 40 either, I get trying to give top prospects their love and all, but there's no way Hansen or Buchholz are remotely worth what Halladay is on the trade market.

When was the last time 1 top prospect was traded for 4 top prospects? It's not even realistic... typically they are traded straight up for 1 one other top prospect, maybe some minor players going each way as well. While I agree with Dave that the baseball landscape is changing, I think he's taken it a little bit too far, prospects simply do not belong on this list. It's become a list of value based on future production vs cost, instead of trade value based on the established market.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Nobody thinks if we deal for Bedard that we wouldn't resign him?

Would we even want to re-sign him? Some team is going to give him at least $10 million over four years. Not a smart move with his injury history.

I'm just saying that if we have to give up Hardy or Hart to get him, you better be able to resign him rather than rent him.

The problem with Bedard is there is no way we resign him and given his injury history and contract status, he's not going to take the ball the way CC did last year.

Washburn is also not going to take a hometown discount to play for the Brewers...his agent is Boras and that ain't Scotty's game.

That being said, with Bush a real question mark we are really desperate for pitching. It's more a question of what can we get for Hardy now vs. what can we get for him in the off-season. It also uses up a year of Escobar when he's probably not quite ready.

Now that Lugo has been DFA'd the trade of JJ to Boston for pitching of some sort seems like a no-brainer. Penny + or Buchholz...it doesn't matter to me. C'mon Doug...make this happen, and that.
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

This offseason, look for Boston to go back to Florida like they did with Beckett and offer 3 or 4 top prospects for Hanley. Boston's farm system is loaded with prospects, especially pitching and this plays into Florida's game plan. The Red Sox may trade a mid level prospect for a fill-in this year at SS.

I don't see JJ as a fit for Boston.

This offseason, look for Boston to go back to Florida like they did with Beckett and offer 3 or 4 top prospects for Hanley. Boston's farm system is loaded with prospects, especially pitching and this plays into Florida's game plan. The Red Sox may trade a mid level prospect for a fill-in this year at SS.

One problem with your thinking here is that the Marlins have locked up Hanley for a long time and I believe the deal is about as long as Braun's and about the same amount of money. I don't see the Marlins trading Hanley.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From Buster Olney today....(I'm not sure if JJ will pass thru waivers however)...

2. Heard this: The Brewers' J.J. Hardy has not passed through waivers yet, and given Boston's need for a shortstop, you wonder if he would be a natural target for the Red Sox if Milwaukee -- now six games out in the NL Central -- decides to wave the white flag later this month. Boston and Milwaukee had some talks before the trade deadline about Hardy, who is hitting .228 with 11 homers and 45 RBI, but had a major disagreement at that time about the shortstop's value: The Brewers wanted top-of-the line pitching, and the Red Sox thought that was too expensive, given his poor numbers this year, his streaky nature and his escalating salary (he's making $4.65 million this year and is arbitration eligible). The Brewers, of course, have a shortstop in waiting in Triple-A, in Alcides Escobar.

I put a question like this in the thread about Hart/Hardy's future. I was wondering if any contending team would need a SS (like the Red Sox) and maybe overpay (because they were just swept by the Yankees) to get one even though Hardy's production is down. There a lot worse SS out there than JJ but I don't think Boston would pay Melvin's price.

I am glad the Brewers are asking for top of the line pitching for Hardy. I do not think they are going to get it but it sounds like they do not want to sell too low. If the could get a number three type pitcher for JJ I would be very happy. The Brewers need some 3 type pitchers. If Bush can stay healthy next year, and Parra can continue to pitch like he has in July and August where his ERA is in the low 4's the Brewers could have a decent rotation with Yo, Bush, Parra, a number 3 type guy and I guess Suppan who before his injury was probably a decent number 5 pitcher.

BrewerProspectus... I was thinking about Buchholz in the back of my mind. I was thinking maybe Buchholz has lost some of his luster(but I don't know for a fact) in Boston. Even if we had to throw in a lower level pitcher along with JJ to get Buchholz I'd do it. We need starting pitching badly to go with Yo and Parra.

Can we trade prospects with a waiver player? I am not really sure how all that works. Could we send JJ and a prospect for Buchholz or another pitcher or would can it only involve the waiver wire player?

The fact that everyone knows we have a SS in waiting in Escobar certainly isn't helping Hardy's trade value.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Can we trade prospects with a waiver player? I am not really sure how all that works. Could we send JJ and a prospect for Buchholz or another pitcher or would can it only involve the waiver wire player?
No, I'm pretty sure you can trade prospects, provided that they're not a part of the 40 man roster (think that's the case). I don't think Hardy would make it that far unclaimed, however. The best time for this trade will likely be in the offseason.

Here's a link on how the process works, but it says nothing about this issue

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=1362

I like that Bowden kid the Sox have as well. I wonder if we could sweeten the deal enough to get Buchholz and Bowden. Probably just a pipe dream, but those two would really help out the quality and depth of our rotation for next year.

Archived