Brewer Fanatic

JJ Hardy for Clay Buchholz?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The window to get someone like Clay Buchholz for JJ Hardy is likely closed. Besides, Boston has Jed Lowrie to be their SS of the future. It's very unlikely they'd be interested in Hardy as just a rental.

I agree Pudster. I think that our GM's overvaluing of Hardy and Hart is going to keep us from reaching our potential. You have to strike when the iron is hot. We haven't really sold high on anyone since Overbay (who was sold more at a consistent level than at a high level). For a city like Milwaukee to reach the promise land, we need to be a bit shrewder that we've been. It's a tough job though, and Doug certainly is not doing a bad job. He just has missed opportunities that he should've known enough to take advantage of.

Our GM is no different than the majority on this site that didn't want to move Hardy this off season, but now he's sort of stuck. Then again, maybe teams made offers, but they weren't very good and Melvin wisely declined them. We'll never know.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I think that our GM's overvaluing of Hardy and Hart is going to keep us from reaching our potential.
I think Hart and Hardy's situations are different. One is a really valuable player who is in a slump, and the other is Corey Hart.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I like the discounted win value, the real trick is that different teams should have very different weighting schemes for their win amortization. For Boston and Yankees as perenial contenders you could argue that wins are wins with maybe a slight discount representing future uncertainty. While to rebuilding teams current and even next year wins might be relatively worthless compared to wins when they might be more competitive. And to almost anybody in the NL central wins now should be worth a fair bit because the marginal gain in terms of increased playoff odds is pretty high.

It would likely improve the Brewers this year. (Hardy = Escobar) Bedard steps into the line-up and is definately an upgrade when healthy.

Washburn helps this year and next.

In addition, Bedard and Hardy would both likely be Type A free agents and net similar draft picks.

I actually really agree with the idea this blogger has for his Mariners. The Brewers should be looking to be buyers AND sellers. That is, we should not put a decent sized dent into our farm system, but should try and add the pitching via our current 25 man roster. This trade would work if available. Hart plus for Vazquez would work as well.

That would be a great deal for the Brewers. They'd immediately become the team to beat in their division and would parobably have as good a shot as any team in the NL at making the WS except the Dodgers

I don't like that deal. Both are free agents at the end of the season, Bedard is projected to be a type B free agent and Washburn wouldn't garner any compensation right now so we'd only get one pick. J.J. has another year and a half before free agency and is a projected type A free agent right now.

We're trading more controlled years and better compensation for more salary is an awful deal for us.

Cameron wouldhave the Mariners pick up the salary difference. That said, Washburn has pitched great but its been mostly luck and great defense, he's unliekly to continueing pitching different than he has his entire carrer except for these 3 months. Given that Suppan is anchored to the rotation, its Washburn vs Parra and going forward thats a wash. Bedard has great talent but he may only give you 60 innings.

As to compensation, Washburn would likely get $11m next season at age 35 in arbitration. The chance anyone would match that is slim, so even if he gets ranked Type B yu won't get compensation because the Brewers would unlikely offer arby.

Both are free agents at the end of the season, Bedard is projected to be a type B free agent and Washburn wouldn't garner any compensation right now so we'd only get one pick.
Bedard is right on the boardline of being a Type A free agent. In addition, the move to the NL will adjust his rankings to compare him to other NL pitchers. Plus, he has 1/2 a season to pad his stats against NL batters. I would say the chances of him being a Type A free agent are very good.

Washburn would not accept arbitration, even at 11 million. Why would he take 1 year at 11 million versus 4 years at 30 million? (I.E. Brian Shouse)

Nobody thinks if we deal for Bedard that we wouldn't resign him?

Would we even want to re-sign him? Some team is going to give him at least $10 million over four years. Not a smart move with his injury history.

Nobody thinks if we deal for Bedard that we wouldn't resign him?

Would we even want to re-sign him? Some team is going to give him at least $10 million over four years. Not a smart move with his injury history.

I doubt he would have a chance of getting that much this coming offseason. He might get $10M but I don't see anyone making a 4 year commitment on him, especially when the Yanks and Sox aren't going to be bidders (Assuming)

Archived