Brewer Fanatic

Solutions to Our Problems: Present and Future...

However, if we now trade, say Gamel, Escobar, young pitcher for Halladay, we had better sign Hardy and Fielder long term, and hope McGehee isn't a fluke. Hardy is going to be in his final year of arby next year, so a long-term deal would be really expensive, and as you alluded to, Fielder isn't going to sign long-term unless something really changes. Honestly, in two years, our lineup could be 1B Errecart/Kjeldgaard, 2B a rushed Lawrie, SS Brewer, 3B Green, LF Braun, CF Cain, RF any of a number of people. Do you think Braun's yelling for help now... wait until he's part of that lineup. ~~Monty 57

A great post Monty. The only thing I want to point out is that I don't see a complete "prospect" lineup run out there by the Brewers in 2011 or whatever year you were projecting. While I think prospects are important, there will certainly be balance amongst the roster with whatever free agents there are after 2009...2010, etc. A truly great post, but there seemed to be no room left for free agents that will be an important part of the roster, not just home grown boys. That lineup could spell disaster and I know why you typed it as it was, but half that lineup sprinkled in with another half of good free agents (as it probably will be) isn't too bad. Which goes to support why you can "go for it" without sacrificing the future.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Calling Cameron a problem at all is simply ridiculous.

He's way underpaid for what he brings to the table (see Torii Hunter's contract - who is a .800 OPS CF signed for 18 million a year through 2012, and is 33 this year). Amazing defense and above average OBP and Power numbers, especially for a CF.

Do you not remember watching Brady Clark play CF? Or hit?

You're missing the forest for the trees. I don't want Brady Clark, thank you. Yes, I've watched him play. And Podsednik. And Sanchez. And Devon White...... and Rick Manning, and all the way back to Gorman Thomas.

Using Hunter's big FA contract from 2 years ago is an absurd comparison. No above-average FA now will make anything near that. I know Cameron's stats. I like his character, leadership, and defense. For what he does the 4-plus months of the year he's a fairly invisible, high-K-rate windmill at the plate, the other nearly-2-months he's producing, he's not worth $10M/yr. Cite all the stats you want. He's walking more but he strikes out a ton and his BA isn't very good. His OPS is inflated due to power numbers.

The fact is, this team doesn't hit well in RISP situations and Cameron's guilty a lot lately. This team strikes out too much and Cameron's a huge culprit. This team needs PAYROLL FLEXIBILITY and doling out $10+M/yr. to multiple non-stars creates significant problems on any team with normal non-East Coast payroll limitations.

Look, we can disagree. I actually do like so much of what Cameron brings. I don't see moving him easily because there's no suitable replacement anyway. Suppan & Hall are far bigger wastes of payroll & roster spots. If somehow the Brewers could rid themselves of those 2 contracts, Cameron's wouldn't seem like a problem at all by comparison.

Simply saying "He sucks, get rid of him" with no one available or able to play the position anywhere CLOSE to his level. He has a .370 obp this year, that's third on the team behind Prince and Braun. I really wonder what more you expect of him.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Cameron is one of the best CF in baseball and would easily get more than $10M a year as a free agent, there really is no arguing the fact because the numbers pretty much spell it out. If you don't like him fine but he is a bargain so I'm glad we kept him.

I'm more than willing to try to be creative and trade Hart, hopefully for pitching help, and give Gamel a crash course in right field defense. Or even go with who's hitting better out of Gerut and Catalanotto. That might be the best we can do in the meantime without crippling the team long term.

Robert

I completely agree Cameron WILL NOT Get $10 million a year in the next FA class, I will bet a beer with anyone on it. His advance age and streaky offensive production will put him into the $7-$9 million range IMO, maybe he gets 2 years, maybe.

That being said I line Cam!!!

1. We need to get some young pitching in that can help us in the next year or two.

2. Lacroy, Salome

3. Prince

4. Weeks

5. McGehee

6. Escobar

7. Gamel

8. Maybe Cam for another year.... Maybe let Hart try for a year.

9. Braun

Dump Hall, Hardy, maybe Hart (I only if you can get something for him) and get more pitching.

I live in Mnpls and it's pretty simple. Pitching is the only thing that will make you good year in and year out (when you can't buy a whole team). We need to build around pitching and prospects. Then make a big move every once and awhile and try to make a run at it. That's the Twins only fault is they never take a leap to go after a world series anymore. We have to trade guys like Prince when they are in their last year of a contract and get young pitching.

There are only long term solutions for small market teams, and those solutions start with starting pitching. We've got one and a half pitchers in the bank (Yo and Parra). Nobody is on the horizon. If the Brewers don't make moves for young starting pitchers less than 2 years away, they shouldn't be moving players with the possible exceptions of salary dumps. If they try and contend this year everyone will be sorry; it will create a downward spiral that will take longer than Braun's contract to fix. Stand pat, take our lumps this year, and keep hunting for long term solutions. I can't believe that upper management has too much confidence in Salome or Lacroy, so I expect one more year of the current combo. There's no replacement for Hart, so I think they'll stick with him, though I doubt he'll turn it around--whadda gonna do? Cam should be back ( at this point Cain is a none player and maybe not really suited for center anyway). I'd say they need him for two years minimum. We could probably move Hall if we pay his contract; Heether deserves a shot, so why not. Casey, I love the dude, but his body is weak. The guy has Mr. Mister Funny written all over him, you know the guy we had last year with the ridiculous swing and the numbers that were way outta whack. What was his name--Mr. Beefcake--just awful, but got Huricane Hazel lucky. I think Casey is that kind of long term solution. So I suppose Hardy is the guy that has to go for young pitching.

I suspect this is the last season we see Hardy and Hart in a Brewers uniform. These guys will be traded in the offseason for minor league pitching depth. Hopefully they can get a pitcher or two with success in the upper minors.

Hart as a below average hitter and average RF'er is easily replaceable through annual placeholders like Cat or Gerut. Replacing the 2009 version of Hardy with Escobar shouldn't be much of a difference.

Archived