Brewer Fanatic

D-Backs Trade Tony Pena To The White Sox For Brandon Allen

Minigoon

Now I don't really know anything about Brandon Allen but his minor league numbers don't seem breathtaking. This is one of the type moves that I hope that Melvin was exploring. I would have to wonder if Cole Gillsepie (Perhaps add in a "nugget" style player) could have enticed the Diamondbacks. A reliever with stuff as good as Pena would have been nice to have.

Allen outproduced Ryan Braun as a 22 year-old in high A and AA ball. Hard to believe the White Sox traded him for a middle reliever.

He's expected to take over in ARI for the last couple months of '09.

Pena is one of the better set-up men in baseball. He should of been their closer last yr, but arz like the cubs believe in using their best reliever in the most stressful innings, not just for the 9th inning. excellent trade for the Chi soxs, because if they keep there pen together Linebrink or Dotel in the 7th, Pena in the 8th, and Jenks in the 9th will make it extremly difficult for opponents to score late against them. Arizonia has Gutierrez in the wing, so its not a bad deal for them either.

Oh... that Tony Pena. I was assuming this was Tony Pena, Jr., so the comments on a pitcher had me really confused. Solid addition for CWS, but I'm beginning to think Kenny Williams & Co. are kinda caught in-between rebuilding & contending.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

"Pena is one of the better set-up men in baseball. He should of been their closer last yr, but arz like the cubs believe in using their best reliever in the most stressful innings, not just for the 9th inning."

Should this be in blue? Are we talking about the same Tony Pena? (Yes, I know it's the reliever)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/penato03.shtml

Those are some pretty mediocre stats for a reliever.

Archived