Brewer Fanatic

2009-07-07 Cardinals (Wainwright) at Milwaukee (Gallardo) : 7:05 PM CT [Brewers lose, 5-0]

For the benefit of those not having tv access, can you describe your posts better than, "This umpire is terrible". I don't need a play by play, but something like, "This umpire's strike zone is baffling" or something to that effect.

Gallardo checked his third strike after getting pinched the inning before, the ump didn't check with the 1B ump...Sveum gone. Pujols checked a swing...good call, but Randolph hot after the last call...he got tossed.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was just silly. I was surprised they didn't replay Yo's "strike three" right away because it didn't look like he went.

Between this and some of the work in Chicago, I'm starting to feel like that stretch two seasons ago where the wheels came off in Atlanta with a nice assist from horrible umpiring.

The bigger issue was he didn't even ask for help on Yo's checked swing, and he was blatantly wrong. Sveum gets ejected for that.

Then Albert is up, checks his swing almost exactly the same way, and he asks for help and the right call is made.

Randolph said something from the dugout and gets tossed.

A family friend who has been a major league coach for over 20 years has told me on a couple of occasions that the Brewers have had a bad reputation for being 'whiny' for a long time. He thinks some umps have a shorter fuse with some teams than others, even as the teams change in terms of personnel over time. Umps stick around for a long time, and they get set in their perceptions just like anyone else.

I'm behind in the game on my Tivo. This ump is a joke. I'm watching the Cardinals feed. Apparently the 3B ump, the crew chief requested that their 3B monitor is turned off. Not sure why he wanted it off but I'd bet it has something to do with the terrible job of umpiring.

Why can't Macha come out and get tossed? Sveum and Randolph gone and yet Kenny can't chew out this terrible ump? I don't like this about him.

On the lighter side, apparently it's that time of the month for Manny Ramirez - ejected and threw his equipment all over the field...
His body is all messed up from being off the fertility drugs.

If they lose this game, I have a feeling this will be curtains for your 2009 Milwaukee Brewers.

Because the the Brewers won't be able to make a comeback from 3 games back with a mere 79 games to play? I'm not following.

If they lose this game, I have a feeling this will be curtains for your 2009 Milwaukee Brewers.
Does that mean if we win, we're golden? Is that how it works?
No. If we win tonight, then tomorrow is doomsday with a loss. Rinse, repeat.

Yeah, I'm definitely a bigger fan of TH's Twitter than his in-game blog updates.

Just one of those nights where Yo can't get his curve in the strike zone. Hopefully the Brewers can get someone across this inning. They've managed to actually hit Wainwright pretty well, but have been a bit unlucky by hitting him so hard that they can advance extra bases.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

EDIT: Thankfully, I'm wrong. How nuts will the board go if he comes back out for the sixth with 102 pitches already?

I wouldn't be surprised to see him back out there, but it would be a strange choice. I think they justify his pitch counts normally by the amount of stress pitches he throws, not so much his total pitches. I'd have to think his stress pitch count is pretty high this game.

Archived