Brewer Fanatic

Roy Halladay

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't believe they turned that trade down ecspecially "quickly". For anyone who still wants the brewers to get him.....it will cost us Escobar, Gamel, Lawrie, Braddock. Thank god DM knows what kind of team we are (a small market team) and can't afford to clean house to get one pitcher for a year and a half.

I can't believe they turned that trade down ecspecially "quickly". For anyone who still wants the brewers to get him.....it will cost us Escobar, Gamel, Lawrie, Braddock. Thank god DM knows what kind of team we are (a small market team) and can't afford to clean house to get one pitcher for a year and a half.
.it will cost us Escobar, Gamel, Lawrie, Braddock.

Perfect!!! Now go get it done Doug....

I was about to say that writing should be in blue, than I realized it was you.....completely serious.

Do you really think we are only one player/pitcher away from being a playoff and/or WS team after that trade?

A perfect example of the "new" Brewers fans that Doug is thankfully ignoring...
New Brewer fan?? Think what you want. I have been a brewer fan longer then a lot of people on this board have been alive. I also want playoff appearances, and not pinning my hopes on 4-5 years from now when these "prospects" are at their peak. We have no idea what the Brewers team will look like then. It could be Gamel, Escobar and a bunch of misfits, akin to the Phil Garner and Jerry Royster years. The time to win is NOW. Go for it when you have the chance, you could end up regretting it down the road. If it doesn't work out, at least you did everything you could to make it a reality. This saying kind of fits in this situation :It's better to have loved and lost, then never to have loved at all. Perfectly stated. It's better to have tried all you could and lose, then to have never tried at all.

Brew07, you are also pinning the playoffs on one player in hopes we win it all. Yet in reality, we need more than one player to do that. 4-5 years to see those players at their peak? Is there a manual out there that says someone has to wait that long? When Braun came to the majors did it take 4-5 years? When Fielder, Hart, Hardy and Gallardo made it to the majors did that take them 4-5 years? You have to realize not every player takes the same amount of time to reach a high level of success as the other. For all we know Gamel and Escobar could be a huge contributor to our team next year.

The Brewers being a small market team we have to value our prospects wisley which you clearly do not. There are bad, good, and even great prospects waiting to get the call one day. When you have a great prospect(s) you don't need to always trade them for a different MLB player every year to get that extra boost. Rather, that player could be the permanent boost we need every year so this trade for a player at the deadline thing isn't life or death for us. Mat Gamel is the type of player worth waiting for in my opinion, not trading away.

We have no idea what the Brewers team will look like then. It could be Gamel, Escobar and a bunch of misfits, akin to the Phil Garner and Jerry Royster years. The time to win is NOW.
Ironically, the only way we'll end up with "a bunch of misfits" is if we do exactly what you're advocating for.

A perfect example of the "new" Brewers fans that Doug is thankfully ignoring...
New Brewer fan?? Think what you want. I have been a brewer fan longer then a lot of people on this board have been alive. I also want playoff appearances, and not pinning my hopes on 4-5 years from now when these "prospects" are at their peak. We have no idea what the Brewers team will look like then. It could be Gamel, Escobar and a bunch of misfits, akin to the Phil Garner and Jerry Royster years. The time to win is NOW. Go for it when you have the chance, you could end up regretting it down the road. If it doesn't work out, at least you did everything you could to make it a reality. This saying kind of fits in this situation :It's better to have loved and lost, then never to have loved at all. Perfectly stated. It's better to have tried all you could and lose, then to have never tried at all.

So you dont trust our scouting department? I mean how anyone can say that this team is going back to the Phil Garner and Jerry Royster years when we have a couple of pieces to build around in Braun and Gallardo along with some nice young hitting coming up in Escobar, Gamel, Salome, Lucroy and Green. Pitching is thin but you trade JJ or Hart or Fielder for nice young pitching.

Ive been interested in trading Prince to the Giants for Bumgarner and a couple other pitching prospects they seem to have an abundance of.

I don't think the issue is with trusting our scouting department. I think what was meant, also my POV, is that you don't know what the future holds. Key injuries could kill a season or two. Off-seasons by key players could do it also. The idea is to strike while you have the opportunity. Keep building for the future, but use the "hot prospect" tag to supplement the present.

Keep building for the future, but use the "hot prospect" tag to supplement the present.

Except this isn't just one hot prospect it is nearly the whole farm that will be needed to be traded to get Halladay. I remember the Expos raping their farm system for a player and they have never been the same since.

Giving up one or two good prospects I'm OK with but giving up 3-4 good prospects no. That is gambling way to much on the future.

If they were the same age, we could have that discussion. Since Gamel has a few years on McGehee it isnt even close.
But it really doesn't matter if a guy is 21 or 27 here. If they are that good, they are gone in 6 years anyway.

I don't get it. There seems to be a double standard from Brewer fans. I think we all agree that we have the ammo to get Halladay. If we offered Parra, Lawrie, Escobar and Gamel- like mentioned earlier in this thread- they'd accept. So we agree that those prospects/players have enough value to get the best pitcher in the game. But then some of those same people that believe that also think this is our only "window" for a run so we need to make a big splash. It's okay to think that package can land Halladay but thinking of keeping that package and having them all for 6+ years is scoffed at?

I don't get the "this is our window" angle and why people don't think we can have sustained success. It just seems like some are willing to force the issue and have a short sighted view of this. I do understand the urgency to win while Prince and Braun are here. But, if we have any chance of Prince being here beyond '11 we'd need a lot of cheap, young good players to fill out the rest of the roster. Guys like Escobar and Gamel are so important to us, we could be trading away 6 years of Jose Reyes and Chase Utley, no one player for 1.5 years is worth that. I know there's a keyword could in there, but I think Escobar's glove and Gamel's bat make them good bets to at LEAST be solid starters if not stars.

I don't think clublevels comment should be taken offensively Peavy. The way I read it was he was stating that BrewCrew07 wasn't a bandwagon fan but mirely one of the new fans that don't believe in developing a good system and bringing up prospects anymore but want to only be buyers like the Red Sox and Yankees. Before Brewer fans weren't people who'd be saying we need to trade Fielder, Weeks, Hart and a pitcher (when in the minors) to go get this pitcher or that pitcher. We were a small market team and still are but fans got spoiled with C.C. and think that the Brewers need to continue to make big trades like this every year. Those are the "new fans".

For anyone who thinks we are only one pitcher away from making a push I really think your mistaking. Look at Gallardo, does his record look that pretty? No, not really, not as good as it should be. why.... because we don't give him run support. What makes you think just because we make a trade that our offense will score runs for Roy? He could give up one run a game and that may just be one to many. In baseball there is no guarantees, last year it worked out, this year who knows. But we need bullpen help, 3 other starting pitchers (if we got Roy) who can get outs, and someone not named Braun, McGehee, or Fielder to help produce. Takes more than won player to win a championship. I'm pretty sure the one everyone wants to get hasn't carried the Jays to one yet.

I say make a trade for some decent pitcher if the price is right but don't throw away your future on it. Last season when we got C.C. we were already one of the hottest teams in baseball (until September) this year....... not so much. I say ride out the storm if DM can't find a good deal and hope like hell we get hot again.

Since today is JP's self-imposed deadline to bid for Halladay (crazy how many different ways I have seen his name spelled recently - Google can be your friend), what are the odds he actually gets traded? I think JP is overplaying his hand.

I'm surprised this thread still has legs. The crew is in 3rd place, .500. Do you think Halladay would actually come here? Think Washburn or Bannister folks. This ain't happenin.

I think we are done this season. I do not want to buy anymore. Infact I am in favor of selling. With that said, I have not lost all interest in Halladay (although it has declined somewhat).

He's under contract for next year too. I think we have a chance to be something special next year, and it would be good to have a top notch pitcher the whole season instead of picking one up at the deadline. The asking price does seem too high though.

From Yahoo Sports...The Boston Red Sox have offered at least three players - no-hit pitcher Clay Buchholz(notes), Triple-A pitching prospect Michael Bowden(notes) and top outfield prospect Ryan Westmoreland - to the Toronto Blue Jays for ace Roy Halladay(notes), according to a source with knowledge of the negotiations. Because the Blue Jays, who are vigorously shopping Marco Scutaro(notes), are also looking for a shortstop, the Red Sox may be trying to draw a third team into negotiations to satisfy Toronto's need.

If I'm JP, I'd hit that bid.

Hehe *sigh*... I guess we can cross Buchholz and Bowden off the list... why wouldn't Toronto accept that offer on the spot?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

why wouldn't Toronto accept that offer on the spot?

Seriously? Thats way short. Westmoreland is in rookie ball. That would be like us offering Gamel, Lawrie, and Odorrizzi, with nothing else. Thats no where near the package Texas got for Texeira.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived