Brewer Fanatic

Roy Halladay

Going by Baseball America prospect rankings by team they have F.Martinez(#1 rated prospect in Mets system), Niese(#3), Parnell(#5) and Tejada(I could only find top 10 and he wasn't in it). So by going off the Brewers rankings we would be offering Escobar, Lawrie, Salome and ???. They only difference is that Niese and Parnell are pitchers which it seems that Toronto is after.

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find it hard to believe that Toronto would take that load of garbage from the Mets for Halladay. Martinez is one of the most overrated prospects in baseball and the rest of the package is garbage. If that rumor is true it would say we could get Halladay without Gamel or Escobar which I find hard to believe. I would be shocked if Toronto traded Halladay for a package that pitiful and Ricciardi should be fired on the spot if he offered that deal to the Mets.

Fernando Martinez is a 20 year old CF in AAA with a .877 OPS.

He's a very legitimate prospect. This isn't an earth shattering proposal - but is isn't horrible.

As Barbados73 stated, this is basically Escobar, Lawrie, Salome and Braddock.

two brewers, this trade proposal is not anywhere near the level of Escobar, Lawrie, Salome and Braddock. Its more like Lawrie, Scarpetta, Cody, and Axford. That is the type of deal I would do in a minute. Lawrie is just as good a prospect as Martinez and has more value to Toronto as a Canadian. Cody is on the same level as Niese. Axford is in the same neighborhood as parnell and Scarpetta is more highly thought of than the SS Toronto would receive.

Then why did the Mets turn it down?
The Mets have money problems, plus they're an old team They need the prospects Toronto wants. The Brewers are already young, and can deal prospects they can live without.

Numerous teams that want Halladay can't afford his contract. Suprisingly, the Dodgers are 1 of these teams. I'm confident that as long as Melvin is willing to deal Escobar, we'll get Halladay.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Toronto wanted Kershaw end of discussion for the Dodgers, if the Mets are tradinmg a bunch of garbage then I have no idea why they wouldn't do the deal?

IMO Ricciardi is overplaying his hand a bit and other teams are waiting him out, if they end up getting draft picks for Halladay this guys career is over (J.P's). If the Brewers would offer Escobar, Lawrie and 2 lower prospects and he said no then the guy is nuts.

I'm thinking the Brewers will NOT trade Escobar, the only way this gets done is they get someone else involved, I liked the Boston idea, plus Boston is motivated to get Halladay out of their division.

Lawrie is just as good a prospect as Martinez and has more value to Toronto as a Canadian.
Lawrie is a 19 year old low-A ball second baseman putting up an OPS of .807, while Martinez is still just 20, playing CF in AAA, and has an OPS of .877. I don't know that much about Martinez, but those numbers seem to indicate that Martinez has more value (at this point in time) since he is putting up better numbers at a similar age at a more advanced level while playing a premium defensive position. I'm sure that the fact that Lawrie is Canadian adds a nice PR spin to any potential deal, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he has more value than another player simply because of his nationality. Would he potentially be a fan favorite in Toronto? Obviously. But does that equal more value than Martinez? At this point in time, doubtful.
Gruber Lawffices

Toronto would be nuts to take that package for Halladay. Martinez is another overhyped product in an awful Mets system and the rest of the guys are B level guys at best. If this proposal is correct the Brewers could get Halladay without Gamel or Escobar.

You can say Martinez is over-hyped until you are blue in the face, but that doesn't change his age or production in AAA this year. The games I watched him play this year it certainly looked like there was a lot of talent in him. I love Lawrie, but Martinez is only 15 months older than Lawrie and producing better numbers at a much higher level of competition. At this point, an argument could be made very easily that Martinez is the better prospect. Personally, I would take Lawrie but it is anything but an easy decision.

I also think Parnell and Niese are both pitchers that will have long careers barring injury. Niese is a nice lefty that pitched well in AA and AAA last year as a 21 year old, that gives him more value than Cody. Parnell has a lot of potential and I would take him over Axford. I would probably take Scarpetta over Tejada, although the way Tejada has been rushed thus far there may be a lot of room for improvement offensively from him.

Barnell is a solid young middle reliever in the bigs, and Tejada is a 19 y/o middle IF who has put up a couple of .400 OBP seasons in his young career. Add that to a pair of top 100 prospects, and that's not a bad haul at all. It shows what they want, top kids, cheap kids, and high ceiling kids. Gamel or Escobar, Lawrie, and 2 more youngsters with high potential is exactly what they want....veterans and low ceiling guys need not apply.

If the brewers do get Halladay for the rest of this season and he does request a trade from Milwaukee for next season.

What kind a deal could the Brewers get?

Probably something similar to what the Twins got for Santana.

Dan Duquette sent me this quote from Theo Epstein this morning, I just thought I'd share...

Here is an incise assessment on acquiring top Flight ML Pitching: "It's always tempting but it always comes at great cost. When you do it through the free agent market, it comes at tremendous risk in terms of the years and dollars you have to spend and if you do it through trade, it comes at tremendous cost - your best and most promising prospects - the core of your organization in a lot of ways." Theo Epstein

Toronto would be nuts to take that package for Halladay. Martinez is another overhyped product in an awful Mets system and the rest of the guys are B level guys at best. If this proposal is correct the Brewers could get Halladay without Gamel or Escobar.

FYI you shouldn't be using the Mets rumor as a basis for a Halladay trade. I don't have a link but Keith Law wrote on his twitter that the mets rumor is completely bogus. J.P has said numerous times he is willing to listen to offers for Roy but he is not making any at this time. If J.P made that trade he would be run out of town here in Toronto, someone is just trying to drive his value down.

And as long as Halladay is willing to waive his NTC to come to Milwaukee.
I can't speak for him, but he resigned with Toronto twice at below market deals. He doesn't need the big cities or the large media exposure. I can't see him having a problem with the city of Milwaukee. I think the only way he wouldn't accept a trade there is if he didn't think your team was good enough to make the playoffs.

I don't know if some here are aware that Fernando Martinez has those stats in only 45 games in AAA. Certainly impressive enough for a 20 year old, and not a small sample, but it should be noted that it's a month and a half of games. He also is sporting a .517 OPS in his 29 game major league stint this year.

He's certainly a legitimate prospect, but I think some may have not have a full picture if they assume that he's been hitting that well in AAA all season.

I hear that Philly would be his top choice though. He wants to be on not only a playoff contender, but a World Series contender for the next two years. I'm not sure he sees the Brewers as one. I think he would be 50/50 on Milwaukee. It would be a tough sell and the Brewers would have to have it written that he would not lobby for a trade in the off season as well. That may make it even tougher.

Archived