Brewer Fanatic

Roy Halladay

Reports are that Gord Ash was in attendance to see Halladay beat the Red Sox yesterday. Now granted I'm sure Ash has plenty of ties in Toronto so he probably tries to get back there occasionally, but the fact that the Brewers assistant GM and not just any scout was there sure lends credence to the Brewer interest.

I don't think it's being disputed that the Brewers have interest...it's just a matter if Melvin and Co. will be willing to trade away enough to get him.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I suppose one thing to keep in mind is that perhaps JJ Hardy could be part of a Halladay swap. If he is, the Jays get a proven major league shortstop for 1.5 years, and with it most likely 2 comp picks (from Hardy) that they would lose with Halladay being traded. The Brewers could obviously ship the requisite pitching along with Hardy in the form of prospects, but including Hardy would lessen the need to include Gamel and/or Escobar.

I suppose one thing to keep in mind is that perhaps JJ Hardy could be part of a Halladay swap...The Brewers could obviously ship the requisite pitching along with Hardy in the form of prospects, but including Hardy would lessen the need to include Gamel and/or Escobar.
I don't see any way this makes sense for the Jays. Given the Wells and Rios contracts, I don't see any way they would take on the salary that Hardy would be due, when they could have a much cheaper Escobar for much longer instead.

What about this trade:

Jays send: Rios and Halladay

Brewers send: Hart, Hall, Hardy, Green, and Rogers

Mariners send: Morrow and Triunfel

Jays receive: Triunfel, Green, Hall, and Morrow

Mariners receive: Hardy, Hart, and Rogers

Brewers receive: Rios and Halladay

Brewers take on the salary of both Rios and Halladay. Hall's salary is a relief for the Brewers from taking on both Halladay's and Rios's salary for this year and next year and to 2012 with Rios. The Jays receive Triunfel the Mariners #4 best prospect a SS who ranked #30 in the MiLB preseason prospect rankings the Jays also receive Rolens replacement in Green and Morrow a major league ready starting pitcher. The Mariners get two players who will improve their offense and a fringe #3 or #4 starter if healthy.

I doubt this would happen it probably has a 0.000000000001% chance of happening but I believe this is rather fair for all three teams involved. The Brewers maybe on the bad end of the trade here with Rios's contract. I think there would have to be something else heading the Mariners way maybe another B prospect going to the Mariners from the Brewers or the Jays.

So TOR gives up Roy for a decent young pitcher in Morrow, a middling prospect in Green...Bill Hall, who has negative value, and Triunfel, who I don't know, but better be equal to Hanley Ramirez. Rios has a big contract, but nothing like Wells. Any team in the bigs would be happy to "take on Halladay's contract", to say the least.

Hardy would have value to TOR because they could flip him for young talent now or in the offseason, so that is a possibility, though TOR would prefer Doug do the dirty work, I'm sure. There might be something to be said about a Hart for Rios swap, as Corey is just a bit under Alex, but whose contract is far friendly enough to have the Jays preferring Corey, I'm sure.

TOR wants 3-5 top prospects/pre-arby players for Halladay. I've seen nothing to lead me to believe they'll take anything less.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think getting Halladay is as much about 2010 as it is about 2009. Having a full season of Gallardo and Halladay would be huge. There would still be some holes to fill but having two potential 20 game winners on your team would be a nice thing.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

So TOR gives up Roy for a decent young pitcher in Morrow, a middling prospect in Green...Bill Hall, who has negative value, and Triunfel, who I don't know, but better be equal to Hanley Ramirez. Rios has a big contract, but nothing like Wells. Any team in the bigs would be happy to "take on Halladay's contract", to say the least.
Carlos Triunfel he is only 19 years old and is very comparable to Alcides Escobar minus the sure gold glove at SS though but everything else he is already as good as Escobar is. Bill Hall is a salary dump for the Brewers and will be gone after next year so the Jays lose a lot of salary and can play Hall at SS, 2B, or in the OF at about $3m less than what they would be paying Rios to play just a corner OF spot. Plus the Jays free up salary after the 2010 season which is very valuable when you have players like Hardy and others being free agents. Possible top 2011 free agents: Brandon Webb, Akinori Iwamura, J.J. Hardy, Derek Jeter (will probably retire or resign with the Yankees), Garrett Atkins, Victor Martinez, Joe Mauer, A.J. Pierzynski, Carl Crawford, Adam Dunn, Dave Bush, Josh Beckett, Ted Lilly, Cliff Lee, Javier Vazquez, and Roy Halladay. The Jays could probably pay for one or two of those players to improve their team. By that time Rolen and Hall come off the books while Rios would still be signed to a rather big contract with the Jays.

Hall has value to a team like the Jays who will not be competing because it doesn't really matter if he performs or not because after the 2010 season he will be gone unlike Rios who would be there for a long time. If Wells would be in the deal the Jays would be getting a lot less in return.

Jack Z. is not going to start trading away prospects. He is looking to acquire them. The trade of Adam Jones is why Jack Z. got hired. He has been put in Seattle to build it from the ground up. Hardy and Hart don't really help. It's a bad deal, no offense.

The link to the MLB article from that Haudricourt's article gives an idea of what the Blue Jays are looking for.

"Los Angeles Dodgers: A report on Foxsports.com reveals interest in Halladay by Dodgers manager Joe Torre and states the Blue Jays would want pitcher Clayton Kershaw as the centerpiece in any trade between the two clubs. Halladay's salary could be an obstacle, the report said. "

"St. Louis: The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak acknowledged his intention to approach Ricciardi about the team's interest in Halladay. One Cardinals source told the paper, "We may be able to give up an arm or a leg. But we're not going to sacrifice the whole body [in a trade]." The paper reports the Blue Jays want Major League-ready pitching, which could be a problem for the Cardinals.

Texas: The Rangers are interested in acquiring Halladay, but view the pitcher's salary as an obstacle. The Blue Jays are seeking a shortstop, and the Rangers are unlikely to deal shortstop Elvis Andrus."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090719&content_id=5951656&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Which has more value to the Brewers? Halladay or Cliff Lee + Victor Martinez. Would a package that lands Halladay land Lee and Martinez? Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I've been thinking about it all day.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Boston gets Hardy, Rios

Boston gives Jed Lowrie and Red Sox prospect

Toronto gets Jed Lowrie, Gamel, Hall, Scarpetta, Red Sox prospect

Toronto gives Halladay, Rios

Brewers get Halladay

Brewers give Gamel, Hardy, Hall, and Scarpetta

This goes under the "proposal" category, something I drummed up. But Toronto could take Hall's contract if they get rid of Rios' monster contract.

Which has more value to the Brewers? Halladay or Cliff Lee + Victor Martinez. Would a package that lands Halladay land Lee and Martinez? Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I've been thinking about it all day.

No it won't. Cleveland has no reason to deal Lee since they aren't in the AL east and can easily compete next season.

If we are to believe Jon Heyman, the Mets rejected an offer of Fernando Martinez, Bobby Parnell, Jon Niese and Ruben Tejada for Halladay. Color me underwhelmed for Toronto if that's an offer they're making themselves.

According to MLB Network the Blue Jays offered Roy Halladay to the Mets for Fernando Martinez, Bobby Parnall, Jonathan Niese and SS Rubin (Sorry forgot last name). The Mets turned them down and said they are not interested. Okay so what is our equivelant in a deal like this?

None of the offers are even close to what TOR is asking, which, as Tom H points out, is 3-5 top prospects or pre-arby players. Escobar, Parra, and Lawrie is probably on the light side of what they want. They are looking to break the bank, not get some middling A ball pitcher not in the team's top 10.

Al, then why did they make an offer to the Mets for a quantity over quality deal? It's seeming that they aren't going to get what they wanted. They may have waited too long to trade Halladay.

A quick search yielded this info on the alleged prospect package:

Fernando Martinez (CF, AAA, 20)

Season .290/.337/.540 (.877 OPS)

Bobby Parnell (RP, MLB, 24)

Career 4.39 ERA, 1.73 WHIP, 7.5 K/9

Jon Niese (SP, AAA, 22)

Season 3.82 ERA, 1.28 WHIP, 7.8 K/9

Ruben Tejada (SS, AA, 19)

Season .272/.346/.351 (.697 OPS)

Gruber Lawffices

Archived