Brewer Fanatic

Roy Halladay

Hardy might be available in "the right deal" suggests to me the Brewers are trying to get a third team involved, perhaps the Red Sox. Red Sox get Hardy and send some prospects along with some Brewers' prospects to Toronto. Halladay becomes a Brewer.

That actually makes a lot of sense. I'm sure the Red Sox wouldn't mind picking up a good SS as well as help move Halladay out of their division.

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Toronto has been very clear they want an MLB ready SS. For Hardy to be part of a 3 team deal, the 3rd team would have to have a MLB ready SS for us to ship to Toronto. I'm guessing if a team had an MLB ready SS and a hole at SS, they would just bring up there own guy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Toronto has been very clear they want an MLB ready SS. For Hardy to be part of a 3 team deal, the 3rd team would have to have a MLB ready SS for us to ship to Toronto. I'm guessing if a team had an MLB ready SS and a hole at SS, they would just bring up there own guy.

I guess the only hope would be for Boston to be apart of that and for them to include Jed Lowrie along with a pitcher like Bowden or Masterson.

How would this sound

Brewers give up JJ Hardy, Brett Lawrie and an A ball arm

Brewers recieve Roy Halladay

Redsox receive JJ Hardy

Redsox give up Jed Lowrie and Michael Bowden

Bluejays recieve Jed Lowrie, Michael Bowden, Brett Lawrie + A ball arm

Bluejays give up Roy Halladay

@WiscoSportsNut

Not all SS prospects, even if close to major league ready are going to come up and have immediate success. JJ is a known commodity and would be an excellent fit for Boston. They just got rid of Lugo and Lowrie hasn't exactly set the world on fire in his initial 80 games of his career. I think it makes a lot of sense. Also, if Boston would be willing to package one of their young arms in a deal rather than Lowrie, I can't imagine Toronto would be too upset about not getting the major league ready SS.

My guess is that it will be Escobar or Lawrie and Parra as a starting point. I would think that as a Canadian, Lawrie would make more sense to the Jays from a P.R. standpoint, but Escobar would be able to step right in at shortstop. Parra could step right in to their rotation, and a lefty with his stuff is tough to find. I think two additional guys in the top 20 prospects from the low minors would have to be added for the Jays to think about the move. In my opinion, that may be too much, especially considering how Parra has looked in his last two starts.

My guess is that it will be Escobar or Lawrie and Parra as a starting point. I would think that as a Canadian, Lawrie would make more sense to the Jays from a P.R. standpoint, but Escobar would be able to step right in at shortstop. Parra could step right in to their rotation, and a lefty with his stuff is tough to find. I think two additional guys in the top 20 prospects from the low minors would have to be added for the Jays to think about the move. In my opinion, that may be too much, especially considering how Parra has looked in his last two starts.

If that's the case, I would say forget it without even thinking twice. I would turn my focus to someone that would come at far less cost, but with potential upside for the rest of the season. And in my mind, Bedard would be that guy. Sure he has been injury prone, but you're gambling on his potential upside.

Tom Haudricourt was on Brewers 360 today. He said the Brewers getting Halladay is "unlikely" due to the cost in prospects and went on to say that if they do get Halladay, the playoffs aren't good enough. It has to be a World Series.

Just a small update.

It has to be a World Series.

I agree with that. At this point, that has to be the goal, whether it is this year, next year, whenever they think they can make it. Squeaking into the playoffs out of a weak division is nt worth making that trade. However, if they squeak in this year (or don't), but feel that Halladay can be at the center of a WS contending team next year, then go for it.

Tom Haudricourt was on Brewers 360 today. He said the Brewers getting Halladay is "unlikely" due to the cost in prospects and went on to say that if they do get Halladay, the playoffs aren't good enough. It has to be a World Series.

Just a small update.

I don't know how much stock I put in this. I wonder if Haudricourt actually has any new info he is going off of. I would personally say acquiring Halladay is still "unlikely"...but if Melvin thinks he needs an upper tier pitcher, or maybe Attanasio wants something done...then it has a good chance, I think. As far as making the World Series...that is so hard to predict. Anything can happen in a five game division series, for one thing. It's nice to say the goal is to make the World Series, but there are no guarantees in professional baseball. Just ask the Cubs and Dodgers last year, or the Red Sox even. The best team on paper doesn't always win. Having said that, I think Halladay would give this team a strong chance to win the NL pennant this year or next.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

As far as making the World Series...that is so hard to predict. Anything can happen in a five game division series, for one thing. It's nice to say the goal is to make the World Series, but there are no guarantees in professional baseball.

Of course there aren't, but as a GM, DM has to be able to assess what he has. There is a big difference between having a team that you expect will make the playoffs and should be good enough to advance to the World Series, and one you think could make the playoffs, and could win once you get there. Even with Halladay, I'm not sure the Brewers have the former. In other words, I don't think the deal is worth it if the Brewers still need everything else to go right in order to win in the playoffs.

As far as making the World Series...that is so hard to predict. Anything can happen in a five game division series, for one thing. It's nice to say the goal is to make the World Series, but there are no guarantees in professional baseball. Just ask the Cubs and Dodgers last year, or the Red Sox even. The best team on paper doesn't always win. Having said that, I think Halladay would give this team a strong chance to win the NL pennant this year or next.

I agree, but I think you have to look at it that way. There is no "playoff drought" anymore for the Brewers, so you can't lean back on that and say "well at least we made the playoffs this year." If this trade happens, with what we'll have to give up, it will be judged on if and how far we do make it if we make the playoffs. As well it should be.

There is no special World Series level team that's different from a playoff team.

Thanks, I already agreed with that. But like it or not, if this trade happens it's going to be judged on if/how far the Brewers make it in the playoffs. They can't just fall back and say the trade was a success if they make the playoffs since they just made it.

There is no special World Series level team that's different from a playoff team.

It is all relative to the rest of the league...If Brewers acquire Halladay, do you believe they are likely to win reach the World Series (2010 being an unknown because many things can change)?

No its all relative to luck. The Cubs were by far the best team in the NL last season with the top starters everyone assumes are needed to go far in the playoffs. Then they got swept in 3 games. And I doubt most fans will care if they trade Escobar for Halladay and not make the World Series. They will care if they don't make the trade and fail to get to the playoffs.

Reports are that Gord Ash was in attendance to see Halladay beat the Red Sox yesterday. Now granted I'm sure Ash has plenty of ties in Toronto so he probably tries to get back there occasionally, but the fact that the Brewers assistant GM and not just any scout was there sure lends credence to the Brewer interest.

Personally, I think we're going for a 2nd straight NL Wild Card Championship!

Actually as things stand right now we have a much better chance of winning the division than the Wild Card. The Giants seem to be running away in the Wild Card hunt right now.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived