Brewer Fanatic

Roy Halladay

The Blue Jays are reportedly listening to offers on Roy Halladay,. He makes $14.25M this season and $15.25M next year. He has a no trade clause.

The Blue Jays may be able to get a ransom in prospects for him this July, with a seller's market.

What would you give up to get him?

I think it would take something like this:

SS Alcides Escobar (or JJ Hardy)

3B Taylor Green

LHP Evan Fredrickson

RHP Rob Wooten

Would you be willing to give this up for 2 years of Halladay?

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Green didn't have to be included, I would do that. Halladay would instantly be a top 3-4 pitcher (along with Lincecum, Haren, and prolly Johan) in the NL. With Green in, it's just too much to give up. Remember Escobar is THE best SS prospect in the high minors right now. That has serious value.

Way to little for Halladay. And remember, the key is the No Trade Clause.

Escobar (or Hardy)

Lucroy (Some insurance in case Arencibia is hurt or doesn't pan out)

Peralta

Gillespie (I would only hope!)

They were quoted saying it's going to take a "slew" of young prospects to pry Halladay away. The Cardinals were in the mix as well. Let's just hope if we don't get him he stays in the AL.

Way to little for Halladay. And remember, the key is the No Trade Clause.

Escobar (or Hardy)

Lucroy (Some insurance in case Arencibia is hurt or doesn't pan out)

Peralta

Gillespie (I would only hope!)

They were quoted saying it's going to take a "slew" of young prospects to pry Halladay away. The Cardinals were in the mix as well. Let's just hope if we don't get him he stays in the AL.

I am not sure your package is really any better than what was previously suggested.. You both list Escobar, IMO Green is a better prospect than LuCroy, Peralta is higher than Fredrickson, and Wooten at least right now is higher on my board than Gillespie

My package(s) would be

Hardy

Salome (Much more valuable in AL)

Taylor Green

Odorizzi

OR

Escobar

Salome

Scarpetta/Periard

As the Brewers don't have any high level pitching prospects to offer, I think it would take Escobar and Gamel to get the deal done. The Blue Jays are going to want a lot in return for Halladay, and they'll likely get it, or just hang on to him. It's an extreme sellers market for pitching right now and teams are going to be willing to one up the competition for a pitcher like Halladay. If traded, he will provide a CC like push to the playoffs for two years instead of one for the lucky team that gets him.

As the Brewers don't have any high level pitching prospects to offer, I think it would take Escobar and Gamel to get the deal done. The Blue Jays are going to want a lot in return for Halladay, and they'll likely get it, or just hang on to him. It's an extreme sellers market for pitching right now and teams are going to be willing to one up the competition for a pitcher like Halladay. If traded, he will provide a CC like push to the playoffs for two years instead of one for the lucky team that gets him.

I absolutely agree with this. I wouldn't give up what it takes to get Halladay right now. All of the other packages wouldn't get it done. The Blue Jays know that about 20 teams would be interested. If they don't get an offer they like they can hang on to him and see if they get an offer they like in the off season or even next years trade deadline. It is an extreme sellers market and Halladay would be the best pitcher available. If they never get an offer they like they hang on to him and let him go after next season and take the 2 high draft picks. Any package for Halladay needs to include atleast 2 prospects that are as talented as 2 first round picks.

Some combination of 2 players from this group Gamel, Escobar, Hardy, Hart, Lawrie, Green plus 2 players from the next tier like Salome, Lucroy, etc many of you know our prospects better than I do so I won't go on.

If a team like Toronto really did insist on ready-made pitching prospects, which we don't have, and the tradeoff has to be Gamel and Escobar, we simply don't have a match. That's fine. Move onto a Vazquez or a Davis then. Eventually, there will be a match. Things don't always align perfectly. The Brewers aren't going to get the best player at every trade deadline.

Gamel, Escobar, Lawrie and probably a couple of the better pitchers at A ball or lower and you might get it done. Anything less than that and the answer would be no. If we took on Vernon Wells and shipped back Bill Hall likely you could drop either Gamel or Escobar and one of the low level pitchers out of the deal. They won't Roy cheap and I don't see Toronto paying any of Wells future salary. The best you could hope is they take back Hall.

I would offer Salome, Gamel and Odorizzi/Frederickson for Halladay and Rolen and see what they say. They might turn it down, but that's a serious offer. Salome isn't likely to be a catcher, but could be a heck of a DH with 20 starts at catcher. Gamel is obviously quite valuable and you include a high upside arm. I would switch Gamel with Escobar if that's what they wanted. The Brewers actually match up extremely well with Toronto, who are starved for left-side-of-the-infield prospects. And Halladay immediately becomes THE best pitcher in the NL (he's already the best in the game). What he's done in that division is sick.

Don't the Blue Jays have some really good young pitching like Marcum, McGowan, Litsch, Romero, and other guys like Richmond and Tallet. I guess I do not get their desire for good young pitching. I honestly do not know what the Jays would be looking for outside of pitching. Their OF is set with Rios, Wells, Snider, and Lind for DH. Their second and fourth best prospects are a catcher and a shortstop. They are old at SS, 3b, 1b and catcher so we would match up okay with some of that if they decide some of our prospects are better than their prospects.

They would probably be best off if some contender with money would take Wells with Halladay to free up some cap for the Jays.

I think people often ignore how vital Escobar and Gamel are to the Brewers long-term financial future.

Escobar cannot be traded. They are counting on his rookie salary to allow them to pay players like Prince, Braun, Suppan and Hall.

There is no way the Brewers can keep JJ Hardy and add a HUGE salary (Halladay) going into next year. JJ would have to be the centerpiece of the deal - and I can't imagine that is enough to entice the Blue Jays.

I think people often ignore how vital Escobar and Gamel are to the Brewers long-term financial future.

Escobar cannot be traded. They are counting on his rookie salary to allow them to pay players like Prince, Braun, Suppan and Hall.

There is no way the Brewers can keep JJ Hardy and add a HUGE salary (Halladay) going into next year. JJ would have to be the centerpiece of the deal - and I can't imagine that is enough to entice the Blue Jays.

I agree, I'd do something like Hardy and Salome/Lawrie, if that's not enough without adding a few minor pieces then I move on.

Gamel, Escobar, Lawrie and probably a couple of the better pitchers at A ball or lower and you might get it done.
Yeah I disagree, if Melvin says the words Gamel, Escobar AND Lawrie they accept and don't look back. No way I'd include all 3, no way it'd take all 3.

We can Assume one of those 3 would have to go to bring Halladay .

twobrewers wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no way the Brewers can keep JJ Hardy and add a HUGE salary (Halladay) going into next year. JJ would have to be the centerpiece of the deal - and I can't imagine that is enough to entice the Blue Jays

However that rookie salary is important but not to Pay Hall and Suppan.

Hmmm.... they just cleared a roster spot........ TH's blog says the brewers starter for Thursday's game is TBA...... Halladay's next scheduled start is Thursday.

These things all could mean nothing, but is it possible a deal is a lot closer than we think?

We do match up well and as we learned last year, DM likes to strike early..... I don't want to see them trade any current starters, but as long as the prospects do not include Escobar I'd be a happy camper.

Hmmm.... they just cleared a roster spot........ TH's blog says the brewers starter for Thursday's game is TBA...... Halladay's next scheduled start is Thursday.

These things all could mean nothing, but is it possible a deal is a lot closer than we think?

We do match up well and as we learned last year, DM likes to strike early..... I don't want to see them trade any current starters, but as long as the prospects do not include Escobar I'd be a happy camper.

Manny Parra is not listed on Nashville's rotation for this week at all. More than likely he is just being called up and the TBA is because it is Manny on Thursday. Sorry no Halladay yet.

Per mlbtraderumors According to media outlets who spoke to Ricardi today, he is looking for a MLB ready shortstop, making The Brewers, the White Sox and Phillies the favorites. Phillies, White Sox and Brewers, who all harbor chips in Jason Donald, Gordon Beckham and Alcides Escobar, respectively.

Furthermore, Ricardi is looking for a little more than what the Braves gave up for Texieria (sp?).

Traded by the Texas Rangers with Ron Mahay to the Atlanta Braves for Beau Jones (minors), Elvis Andrus (minors), Neftali Feliz (minors), Matt Harrison and Jarrod Saltalamacchia. I don't know what those guys were projected to do, but I hardly recognize a name other than Saltamacchia. If somebody could provide the Brewers equivilants to those guys, I'd be grateful.

Per mlbtraderumors According to media outlets who spoke to Ricardi today, he is looking for a MLB ready shortstop, making The Brewers, the White Sox and Phillies the favorites. Phillies, White Sox and Brewers, who all harbor chips in Jason Donald, Gordon Beckham and Alcides Escobar, respectively.

Furthermore, Ricardi is looking for a little more than what the Braves gave up for Texieria (sp?).

Traded by the Texas Rangers with Ron Mahay to the Atlanta Braves for Beau Jones (minors), Elvis Andrus (minors), Neftali Feliz (minors), Matt Harrison and Jarrod Saltalamacchia. I don't know what those guys were projected to do, but I hardly recognize a name other than Saltamacchia. If somebody could provide the Brewers equivilants to those guys, I'd be grateful.

Parra, Escobar, Dillard, Swindle and Salome could be comparable to the offer of Beau Jones, Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz, Matt Harrison and Jarrod Saltalamacchia. And I'd be willing to add another pitcher or hitter from Nashville to the list for Halladay. I really, really hope DM is in serious discussions with Ricardi to get a Halladay deal done asap.

Feliz is a stud pitching prospect, similar to Peralta I guess.

Andrus is a top prospect, right there with Escobar, though he hasn't hit as well. MiLB had him ranked at 21 in the off-season top 50.

Harrison was another top propect in the Atlanta organization, I believe he was top 5 prior to the trade and in AA, no Brewer comp comes to mind immediately.

Jones was a 1st round pick by Atlanta, he's struggled thus far though and he's a relief pitcher.. I forget how hard he throws, and what he throws, his name was familiar and I remembered it from the draft.

Salty was another 1st round pick. He's been somewhat disappointing as well, he's a C, 1B now. Huge prospect at the time, a switch hitter with middling power, another guy we don't have anyone who really compares.

All in all, a great trade for Texas, the throw in player Feliz may turn out to be the best player in the trade and they acquired a ton of talent. Probably one of Atlanta's worst trades, Atlanta didn't go anywhere and spun Teixeira for much less to the Angels.

edit. Tigerbrew I don't necssarily agree with your comps. Parra to Harrison is fair.... is Dillard supposed to be Feliz? Swindle to Jones? Escobar and Adrus are compared by everyone. Salome to Salty.. I see what your doing in them being the best catchers in the organization at the time of the trade, but they are very dissimilar at the plate.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived