Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Free Up 40-Man Roster Spot -- 1B Joe Koshansky Outrighted to Nashville

Mass Haas
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I forget who the GM was with Hammonds but they ate his contract that last season and dumped him.

It was Melvin, but the difference was that was in the last year. There is still a chance you can move Hall this offseason for another crappy contract (think highly overpaid pitcher with 1 year remaining like Robertson) than he will still be around until thats exhausted

Maybe Melvin just wanted to free up the spot so they don't have to worry about it later if they make a trade? Doesn't necessarily mean something is pending, does it?

Yes, but where's the fun in that? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Well the Crew has moved Suppan up to tommorrow and Thursday is now a TBD, not sure if it related at all to the 40 man spot, anyone know, other than Parra, who has the rest to pitch Thursday?

Looper. Who pitched Saturday (the day after Suppan) in the Cubs series.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Well the Crew has moved Suppan up to tommorrow and Thursday is now a TBD, not sure if it related at all to the 40 man spot, anyone know, other than Parra, who has the rest to pitch Thursday?

Halladay's next scheduled start is Thursday....... hey, just sayinhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

If Parra struggles upon his return can I be the first to ask what the point of sending him down was? He only pitched well in 1 game, his last, why not pitch him at least 1 more time down there to see if he's really back or not?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

They can send him down again if they are not happy, I believe he's in an option year now.

It could have been done to raise his value, or decrease GMs greed against the crew. If we pose that we have 5 solid starters and X wasn't needed as much, we may be able to give up less.

In a perfect world I think they would like to keep Parra down for longer. The Brewers world is far from perfect at the moment. If he is the best option their hand is pretty much forced. I kind if wish they would keep him down longer and give one of the other guys a shot. none of them have Manny's stuff but if they do come in and pitch well for a short period of time we are much better off making sure Manny is really right. If they don't pitch well it's only one or two starts and Manny can come back one or two starts later.

I don't think the Koshansky move was done for any particular upcoming transaction as much as they did it because they figure they will be making a move something soon. He's not going to be coming up and if another team wants him they can have him.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

If Parra struggles upon his return can I be the first to ask what the point of sending him down was? He only pitched well in 1 game, his last, why not pitch him at least 1 more time down there to see if he's really back or not?

I can't find his AAA stats anywhere off hand, but didn't he pitch pretty well in three games and stink up the joint in just one? Anyway, I'm sure the Brewers would like to keep him down there longer, but they don't seem to have anyone better on hand at this point, barring a trade.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

You can check out this AAA numbers here if you like. He has only been bad in only one start but his walks are still too high in all but one game for me to think he fixed his control problems. His last start was much better so maybe he found something. His coming up again has less to do with him regaining his from from last year than it has the lack of other viable options IMHO.

Check that two games were pretty good walk wise. Sandwiched between them was the crappy one. Still 13 walks in 24.2 innings of work is pretty high for AAA.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I have to agree that bringing Parra back up at this point doesn't seem like a good idea. Sort of pointless to send him down to get confidence then bring him back up after one good start. I think the problem was the walks and he only had one game where he had good walk totals. Although he had good results overall, I don't think he fixed the problem.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

For me the problem is that we don't really have anyone better than Parra in-house right now. So if the organization feels comfortable calling Manny back up, I am too. He certainly needs to regain his confidence at the MLB level. I'm not sure if overpowering most AAA batters will do much for him there.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

We really didn't have a good replacement when he was sent down either. I understand why he was brought back up so soon and my hope is that he performs really well or is sent back out when Buch returns.

I am not really worried about him overpowering hitters, I want him to work on his control.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Ahh but he wasn't... his last start was closest to his career BB/9 and K/9... those are my primary concerns for him... keep the walks down and get the K's back up. He simply needs to quit nibbling and just get after hitters, in doing so he'll walk less people and the hitters will get themselves out more. Listening to the audio interviews it was kind of funny that every time he started to struggle out came Bosio to the mound to tell him what to throw. Maybe the Brewers should take that approach, he walks the pitcher, out goes Castro to the mound to remind him how to attack the lead-off batter. It seems that he really lets his mistakes get to him, instead of just refocusing for the next hitter.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Verified Member
The Brewers only need a 5th starter 2 times in July after the All Star Break (19th and 28th), assuming Bush is ready to go on the 20th. It will be interesting to watch how the rotation is lined up after the break. This could be a very important start for Parra and where he ends up.

Archived