Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Free Up 40-Man Roster Spot -- 1B Joe Koshansky Outrighted to Nashville

Mass Haas
Can I wish that Melvin wows J.P. Riccardi and picks up Roy Halladay? He would need a 40 man roster spot. I guess hoping for a stud trade deadline pitcher again is probably just crazy thinking. I'd love to see any of the pitchers already discussed get a chance, but I'd much rather have a trade happen for someone who is more of a sure thing.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cody pitched yesterday, so he wouldn't be available to pitch again until Saturday.
Perfect timing to replace Burns, although I'd be more in a rush to replace McClung in the rotation and bump him to the pen. We're not in the position to stretch him out on the job.

Per McCalvy, Parra has been moved off the list of probable starters for Nashville:

http://brewersbeat.mlblog...rs_headed_back_to_m.html

The Triple-A Nashville Sounds have juggled their probable pitchers for the week and left-hander Manny Parra isn't on the list, a very strong indication that the Brewers will recall him to the big leagues for a start at some point this week.

The Brewers need a pitcher by Saturday at the latest, but also could slate someone in as soon as Wednesday. That just happens to be Parra's day to pitch, had he remained on schedule in Nashville.

Brewers manager Ken Macha and general manager Doug Melvin were to meet this afternoon to set the rotation for the final homestand before the All-Star break. Macha could announce his plan when he meets with reporters just after 4 p.m. CT.

Parra was 3-7 with a 7.52 ERA in 13 starts before the Brewers demoted him to Nashville after a loss to the White Sox on June 13. In four Triple-A starts, he went 1-2 with a 2.92 ERA, including seven scoreless innings at Round Rock on Wednesday.

Could be that he's going to be the starter and that the Brewers were just freeing up a spot because Koshansky has been stinky, OR ...

Parra could be part of the trade.

If Parra is part of the trade, the Brewers are getting back two players that are either two major leaguers, or atleast one that must be protected. Parra is on the 40-man, so moving Koshansky AND PARRA frees up two spots. I therefore doubt Parra is part of a trade, but it's not out of the realm. I just dont think we are getting two players back in any trade that need to be protected. Unless we are sellers that is.

If Parra is part of the trade, the Brewers are getting back two players that are either two major leaguers, or atleast one that must be protected. Parra is on the 40-man, so moving Koshansky AND PARRA frees up two spots. I therefore doubt Parra is part of a trade, but it's not out of the realm. I just dont think we are getting two players back in any trade that need to be protected. Unless we are sellers that is.
Davis and Lopez from the D-Backs, for example.

Could be that he's going to be the starter and that the Brewers were just freeing up a spot because Koshansky has been stinky, OR ...

Parra could be part of the trade.

I think it means Parra and Cody come up to replace Burns and McClung in the rotation. McClung goes back to the pen, and Burns goes back to Nashville.

If you were going to send Gamel down, wouldn't you just The Hurricane to replace him. Mcgehee will pretty much play everyday at 3rd, so you would only need a UTL guy up then to cover the middle.

Simple. The bench needs another right-handed bat. When Counsell sits, right now the bench has 4 left-handed bats and only Rivera from the right side. Bourgeois or Heether give them a right-handed bat that's not a catcher (Rivera) or mired in a horrible slump (Hall). Bourgeois has played exclusively OF this year, but he's played a lot of IF in his career and Heether could play several positions too.

Davis and Lopez from the D-Backs, for example.

Not saying it's impossible, but that would mean that no additional players in that trade would also be on the Brewers 40-man, correct? Otherwise that would mean a 3rd opening, 4th opening, etc. If we are getting two guys that need to be protected and only two guys (Davis/Lopez), that means the players going to AZ would not be on the 40-man currently? Do I understand that correctly? Who could that be to net Davis/Lopez? I dont have a list of the 40-man in front of me. That's why I think a Parra move, in conjunction with the Koshansky opening is unrelated. Parra could be moved, I just don't think it's in the same transaction for which we are gaining 2 MLB'ers in need of protection. Not arguing what you are saying, I'm trying to understand the implications of freeing up this spot as it relates to a potential trade coupled with the speculation that Parra is part of a trade.

If Gamel doesn't get more ABs than he's getting, then I agree he SHOULD go down. I just don't think that's the plan. I'm sure that has been one of the topics of discussion over the last two days, how to get Gamel more ABs. I still think it's Parra and Cody coming up. Going down? How about Burns and Hall? I just can't imagine Hall getting more and more opportunites, at some point you either have to trade him and eat his salary, release him, or send him to Nashville. When Macha says over and over that production is what counts for playing time, he can't justify playing Bill Hall. Narveson is another good call to be sent down, that makes sense too.

Hall and his salary are not going Nowhere at this point.

I think they are. If he is giving you next to nothing, you just can't afford to have him waste a spot on the 25 man. His salary bought him a lot of time and opportunites, but Melvin has proven he will eat the salary (see Turnbow.)

I think it means Parra and Cody come up to replace Burns and McClung in the rotation. McClung goes back to the pen, and Burns goes back to Nashville.

I'd be fine with that. Parra starts Wed., Cody starts Sat. Those two try out for the 5th spot until Bush is back. One last attempt to patch up the rotation in house. McClung back to the pen, Burns and Narveson to Nashville.

I think Gamel's going down for a crash course in RF

I wish, but doubt it.

Hall DFA'd.

I wish.

I agree FVBF. If Melvin wants to compain (maybe rightfully) that there are no arms available, we sure as heck better be maximizing our 25man roster. That means Hall needs to get off of it, as well as Gerut. Bring up Heether and JB and I am willing to wager we become a better team for this season.

His salary bought him a lot of time and opportunites, but Melvin has proven he will eat the salary (see Turnbow.)

How much did the Brewers actually eat on Turnbow? Hall is making a lot more $$$ than Turnbow ever did. I bet Hall is making more this year than Turnbow's entire last deal was for. IIRC we didn't eat much of Turnbow's contract. At this point, releasing Hall would easily be throwing $10 million + away (Not that he's worth it...it's been posted multiple times that 'Melvin has done this before'...when in reality I don't think he has at all if you actually consider the dollar amounts).

I forget who the GM was with Hammonds but they ate his contract that last season and dumped him.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived