Brewer Fanatic

Brewers renewing with Huntsville -- Latest: Stars season ends with another losing record, poor attendance

Little Rock would be great. They have a fantastic ballpark as does Oklahoma City. If they want to move back to the International League, they should take a two year deal and then try to sync up with an Eastern League team at the same time, though I would be fine with a four year deal with Little Rock and Oklahoma City.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many loose ends as Stars wrap up 2010 season
Mark McCarter/The Huntsville Times

HUNTSVILLE, AL. --I've been thinking about how many of these Stars-season-is-over, close-the-book columns I've written.

Seven? Eight? Nine?

They've been filed from various corners of the Southern League. They've come after soul-crushing losses, like when the team's best reliever gave up a ninth-inning homer to lose a championship game. They've come after the merriment of a day when the ultimate multi-tasker, Jared Mathis, played all nine positions, one an inning.

This one is different. This one, there is no closure. There are loose strings flopping all over the place.

The Stars ended their season with a 6-1 loss to Mobile Monday afternoon, finishing with a three-game losing streak and 12 losses in 18 games. They finished 67-73, their second consecutive losing season.

They were the epitome of mediocre. Sixth in the 10-team league in ERA, fifth in runs scored. Seventh in batting average. Worst in fielding, and most unearned runs allowed.

Four of the '10 Stars reached the majors, most notably Jonathan Lucroy, who put himself in position to be the first every-day Brewers catcher produced by the farm system since Milwaukee became affiliated with Huntsville in 1999.

Though second baseman Brett Lawrie will likely reach the majors, nowhere was there the can't-miss guy in whom even laymen could see major league stardom potential, like a Ryan Braun or Ben Sheets.

Manager Mike Guerrero's mantra of being professional and exhibiting 100 percent effort did manifest itself in this team 80 percent of the time. The Stars seldom ran out of effort; they just ran short of talent.

"For the most part, we competed and they learned how to play properly," Guerrero said.

But as the season ends, things are just beginning. We're back to those loose strings.

First, if I had to put money on it, I'd bet the affiliation with the Brewers will end and the Stars' new major league partner will be the Anaheim Angels, moving from Little Rock in the Texas League.

The Angels, Brewers and Tigers are the only teams without Class AA affiliates for next season. Team owner Miles Prentice has a previous working relationship with Anaheim.

It would make sense for Milwaukee, linked with the Triple-A vacancy at Oklahoma City, to want to have its Class AA team reasonably close in Arkansas.

Even more than the concern over the affiliate is the future of baseball itself in this city.

The Stars drew 1,541 on Monday, giving them 91,237 for the season, the worst in Class AA, eighth-worst among the 90 teams at the top three tiers in the minors.

Put that in perspective: More people watched one football game in Tuscaloosa Saturday against a creampuff opponent than saw the Stars play in 70.

I think it's close to being a done-deal to have a Southern League team in Pensacola in 2012. The Stars are one of three fragile franchises that could move there. Unless Prentice invests some time and resources in Huntsville, the franchise will simply continue to deteriorate.

A new stadium isn't the answer. That's a far-fetched, win-the-lottery dream.

However, some simple yet substantial improvements are necessary, however funded. While the city owns the stadium, the meager return it gets on a sweetheart of a lease deal doesn't justify throwing tax dollars at it. It needs to be a private-partnership.

My gut feeling is that the Stars days are numbered, perhaps one more year left.

That's the season-is-over, close-the-book column I most dread writing.

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/drew-andersonjpg-cdfc3358d9131573_large.jpg

Drew Anderson, 29, plays final game in Stars' finale, finishes as

team career leader in doubles; he plans to become a scout.

(Bob Gathany/Huntsville Times)

dadofandrew]The Brewers have wanted to call players up twice and were unable to get them to MIL in time twice this season. The IL would be better unless they were on the West coast.

No worries about that. There are no IL teams west of the Mississippi. In fact, I'm pretty sure there are no IL teams outside the Eastern Time Zone. The only ones I'm not completely sure on are Louisville and Lexington.

So it appears all of AA baseball's affiliations will remain the same as they have been for the past two years unless the Brewers and Tigers swap out Erie (PA) and Huntsville.

Scanning the Erie newspaper, there is no indication of an immediate choice either way.

It seems the ball would be completely in the court of Erie's ownership, would they prefer to have the Brewers?

Here are the team's managers and records since 2001 when it became a Tigers' affiliate:

2001 Tigers Luis Pujols 84–58, 1st place South
2002 Tigers Kevin Bradshaw 52–89, 6th place South
2003 Tigers Kevin Bradshaw 72–70, 3rd place South
2004 Tigers Rick Sweet 80–62, 2nd place South
2005 Tigers Duffy Dyer 63–79, 6th place South
2006 Tigers Duffy Dyer 60–81, 6th place South
2007 Tigers Matt Walbeck 81–59, 1st place South
2008 Tigers Tom Brookens 68–74, 4th place South
2009 Tigers Tom Brookens 71-70, 4th place South
2010 Tigers Phil Nevin 66-76, 6th place West

Latest article:

SeaWolves undergo constant change during losing season

By MIKE COPPER

The FX drama "Nip/Tuck" was canceled this spring.

Coincidence or not, the 2010 Erie SeaWolves picked up the concept of weekly face lifts shortly after that.

When Brandon Jones grounded out to Akron shortstop Ron Rivas on Monday, it ended a season that saw the SeaWolves experience lots of losses (76) and even more player transactions (more than 100).

Jones arrived at the Detroit Tigers' Double-A affiliate after he was acquired from Pittsburgh in late July. The outfielder was among those shuttled on and off Erie's ever-changing roster.

Minor league fans are conditioned to that baseball fact. Still, the here-today-gone-tomorrow trend for this team was arguably unprecedented since the franchise joined the Eastern League in 1999.

Of the 12 SeaWolves who appeared in the team's April 8 season opener at Trenton, only starting pitcher Jon Kibler and outfielder Deik Scram (a former Brewer draft pick - MH) were still in their dugout Monday.

And even they spent portions of 2010 elsewhere, Kibler with Single-A Lakeland (Fla.) and Scram with Triple-A Toledo.

The changes weren't limited to the players, either. Phil Nevin, Erie's rookie manager, was without a hitting coach after Glenn Adams resigned June 22.

"I've learned a lot from the year and it's been a great experience," said Nevin, who was a 12-year major leaguer. "I think next year will be even better."

Erie (66-76) finished in last place for the first time since 2006. Despite that, Nevin confirmed Monday that the Tigers asked him and pitching coach Ray Burris to return.

Erie's overall mark, hindered by a franchise-record 0-8 start, didn't sit well with Nevin even if talent development ranked as the higher priority.

One thing that did please Nevin while his first season of managing in sanctioned baseball progressed was the players' collective professionalism.

"Regardless of our record," he said, "the one thing I never had to do was get on them about playing hard and going about their business. We've had small talks, sure, went about things the right way.

"I've had a great group of young men that will do a lot of good things," he said. "Maybe it's not in baseball, but life."

So maybe the Erie ownership would like to chat and feel out the Brewers and vice versa. Or maybe not, and the Huntsville relationship, which has been in place since 1999, the Brewers' longest-running current affiliation, will continue.

This post from GoMocs just above seems to be the biggest indicator that the Huntsville relationship, which except for stadium amenities and fan support, the Brewers have actually been pleased with, will indeed continue. We'll know soon.

Erie's stadium is fairly new, and pretty nice. I'm originally from Erie, so I've been to the stadium, back when they were still a A+ affiliate with the Pirates. The stadium is nestled downtown (which isn't much of a downtown), and you can walk out to the outfield and watch the game from above the outfield wall, even if there aren't any seats out there. The crowds are pretty modest in size, and I'm sure they would prefer to be affiliated with either the Pirates (Pittsburgh is 2 hours South), the Indians (2 hours West) or even the Phillies to generate more local interest. While the relationship with Huntsville isn't ideal given their stadium issues, I do like the idea of keeping the team's AA affiliate in the Southern League. Switching to Erie would give you better facilities, but then you're dealing with more unpredictable weather for the first few months of the season.

I'm glad the team isn't moving their AA affiliate to the Texas League.

Yes, it's true. Our fearless leader and webmaster Brian won't have to update the "Huntsville Stars" portion of the website.

The Brewers and Huntsville will indeed be back for a minimum two-year relationship through 2012. It will be the 12th and 13th years of the Stars - Brewers relationship, nearly matching the 14-year partnership Huntsville had with Oakland from its inception in 1985 through 1998.

We've learned the Detroit Tigers have indeed extended their agreement with Erie (PA) of the Eastern League for another two seasons -- not sure when the formal announcement will be made or why there has been a delay in announcing the relationship. Sorry, no formal link because of that delay (you can trust us on this one, though -- it won't be Erie), but at this point in the game, this outcome shouldn't be a surprise. A month or two ago, yes, but at this point, no.

No idea how close the Brewers were to Arkansas (Angels of the Texas League) or any other AA affiliation move. As had been noted earlier, there was not a lot of availability on the AA level this time around, and in fact, all affiliations throughout AA will be remaining the same.

We have no additional updates regarding the Brewers' AAA situation. There is a separate thread on that discussion, and while much of the speculation seems to make sense, nothing formal regarding Nashville (its possible future with the Astros), Oklahoma City, or otherwise is available.

In terms of cooperation between the Huntsville staff and the Brewers organization, both sides have been mutually complimentary of each other in all matters not relating to Joe Davis Stadium and overall fan support. So when the formal announcement is made, look for the positive aspects of the relationship to be mutually highlighted once again. Not sure how the Brewers will spin any disappointment with the issues brought up in the past, be it by Gord Ash or others, when they've been pretty vocal about those issues previously.

Knowledgable Huntsville fans have pointed to a much more fruitful pipeline of future major league players than even the A's provided, but casual Huntsvillians (Huntsville-ites?) will always point to the Canseco-Tejada years as something to look back at fondly, misguided as that now seems.

Purely from a Brewerfan.net perspective, we have always appreciated our updates from GM Buck Rogers and his staff, including this year's new Media Relations Director, Jill Cacic. This past season, the young group of broadcast staff was professional, energetic and helpful, with the archived audio interviews and highlights a nice touch. The Huntsville Times online usefulness fell off a map this year (boo!), and despite our repeated attempts to work with the editors there, it seems that many of the articles and features that were in the print addition of the Times about the Stars never made it online. Hopefully this can be rectified for 2011 and beyond -- it will be if we keep pushing, we hope.

So Homer the Polecat (what exactly is a polecat?) will be hanging with Brewers' players for at least another two years.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/2010/04/09/4MDBuqw9.jpg

Link while active, text follows:

Stars, Brewers 'in negotiations;' Detroit only other remaining option if Huntsville makes a move

Mark McCarter, The Huntsville Times

HUNTSVILLE, AL -- The AirTran Boeing 717 at Huntsville International Airport Saturday morning was painted in the blue and yellow colors of the Milwaukee Brewers and decorated with the Brewers logo, part of the airline's marketing partnership with major league baseball teams.

Symbolic ... or merely an eerie coincidence?

The Brewers and Huntsville Stars are "in negotiations" over the renewal of their player-development contract (PDC), said Scott Martens, business manager for the Brewers' minor league operation.

The renewal between Milwaukee and Huntsville seems more likely now that all but two Class AA level PDCs are set for at least the next two years. (They are renewed in even-numbers years, for two- or four-year terms.)

Milwaukee's negotations are taking place with Stars majority owner Miles Prentice, who bought the team in 2001. Prentice leases Joe Davis Stadium from the city of Huntsville.

Anaheim and the Arkansas Travelers announced late last week they are re-upping, leaving only the Detroit Tigers and their Erie, Pa., club in the Eastern League and the Brewers and Stars unsigned.

The Brewers are also in negotiation with Nashville at the Triple-A level, according to Martens. At both Nashville and Huntsville, Milwaukee officials have been unhappy with the facilities for players at the aging stadiums (Joe Davis Stadium opened in 1985, Nashville's Greer Stadium in 1978).

The Brewers have been linked to the vacancy at Oklahoma City in the Class AAA International League. The Oklahoma City team is owned by Mandalay Entertainment, as is the Erie franchise. A potential package deal could be arranged.

Milwaukee officials have expressed their desire for convenient travel between their Class AAA and Class AA teams, something the Nashville-Huntsville link offers.

Major league teams and minor league affiliates can today begin informing the sport's governing bodies of their intent to terminate, not terminate or extend their PDCs. Martens said Milwaukee "will be filing not to terminate." Major League Baseball will then provide an official list of openings to each club.

There is a two-week period beginning Thursday in which teams may legally negotiate with potential new affiliates; negotiations among current affiliations can be on-going.

Just to clarify on what was noted earlier, we've been told the Erie club, owned by Mandalay Entertainment, signed a two-year extension with Detroit late in the Eastern League season, but that Mandalay will announce it when they wish.

The Oklahoma City sale to the Mandalay Baseball group is expected to be finalized this week.

Mandalay Baseball currently owns and/or operates the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (PA) Yankees, Triple-A International League affiliate of the New York Yankees; the Frisco (TX) RoughRiders, Double-A Texas League affiliate of the Texas Rangers; the Erie (PA) SeaWolves, Double-A Eastern League affiliate of the Detroit Tigers; the Dayton (OH) Dragons, Single-A Midwest League affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds; the Hagerstown (MD) Suns, Single-A South Atlantic League affiliate of the Washington Nationals; and the Staten Island (NY) Yankees, Single-A New York-Penn League affiliate of the New York Yankees. Mandalay Baseball's business model, its franchise acquisition and development strategy, and its sales and marketing programs have proven to be the most successful and highly regarded in Minor League Baseball.

So perhaps Mandalay's focus is finalizing the Oklahoma City acquisition, and then they'll announce any affiliation confirmations.

It can't be hitters parks. The only hitters parks are Midland, Springfield and Northwest Arkansas. The rest are neutral or pitchers parks.
Just wanted to toss this info in here, albeit a few days late and now a moot point:

This article at Hardball Times, and this article at Fangraphs that dovetails on the previous article shows that the Texas League is almost exactly in the middle of the pack in baseball in terms of runs scored, and in 2010 actually had the least number of average runs scored amongst the three AA leagues.

I had just assumed that the Texas League was still a big hitter's league, but I guess not.

The Hardball Times article does make me think we should think about moving out of the Pioneer League sometime soon, though. The Appalachian League or the Northwest League would look better to me.

Sorry I missed that reply, I wasn't trying to dodge the question.

Like Toby, I thought the TL still was a hitter's league, but if the numbers show otherwise, than I take what I said back, moot point or not. I remember following that league more closely when we had the El Paso Diablos when you really couldn't get too excited about how big of numbers hitters were posting (somewhat similar to the Cal League), especially given how some of those hitters panned out.

I do think I stated before that I liked the idea of staying in the Southern League. Over the years I have enjoyed following the amount of talent that has come through that league from top to bottom, not just the Brewers. Even still, it's nice having some familiarity with the league, not to mention the long-standing relationships we've established.

I forget which story it was (David Weiser's?), and I'm too lazy to dig up the quote, but I wonder if the Brewers have any interest in staying with Huntsville if the team ends up moving to Florida, possibly to a much larger community and potential fan-base.

Stars to continue relationship with Brewers as Class AA affiliate Mark McCarter, The Huntsville Times

HUNTSVILLE, AL. -- The Huntsville Stars will continue as the Class AA affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers, despite mid-season indications that the Brewers would be looking to place their club elsewhere.

All 29 other major league teams and their Class AA partners have announced or agreed to renewal of their working agreements for next season, according to multiple sources. That leaves a Huntsville-Milwaukee pairing as the only possible scenario.

"That's the reality, by process of elimination," said Gord Ash, vice president and assistant general manager of the Brewers.

However, Ash told The Times Wednesday that "there are a number of things that have to be addressed and we're working through those."

An official announcement of the renewal is not immediately planned and the deadline for filing a new player development contract (PDC) with Major League Baseball is Oct. 7. After that date, the PDC automatically rolls over. PDCs are renewed in even-numbered years, for two- or four-year terms.

Stars general manager Buck Rogers could not confirm the pending renewal, but said the Stars and Brewers "are talking back and forth trying to finalize some details."

Team president and majority owner Miles Prentice did not respond to interview requests.

The Brewers and Stars have been partnered since the 1999 season after the Stars ended a 14-year relationship with the Oakland A's.

The owners are responsible for travel and other day-to-day operational expenses.

According to Rogers, the Stars "never considered" seeking another major league affiliate for the next two-year term and he said "the Brewers are the least demanding organization of any organization I've been affiliated with."

However, the Brewers have expressed displeasure through the years with some of the working amenities of Joe Davis Stadium. Requested modifications are all "player-related," Ash said, and include an improved batting practice faility, better playing surface and readjustment of the lighting.

"I don't think they're asking for anything any other Double-A team doesn't have," Rogers said. "They're reasonable demands."

Photo by Dave Dieter/Huntsville Times

Joe Davis Stadium will again host Milwaukee's Class AA affiliate

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/joe-davis-stadiumjpg-787876f01cba3618_large.jpg

Brewers list concerns with aging Joe Davis Stadium

Mark McCarter, The Huntsville Times

HUNTSVILLE, AL. -- There are four major concerns on the part of the Milwaukee Brewers as they look to continue the partnership with the Huntsville Stars at 26-year-old Joe W. Davis Stadium.

They are "player related issues," according to Gord Ash, Milwaukee's vice president and assistant general manager.

-- The quality of the playing field. "At one time, it was pretty good," Ash said. "It isn't now." The Stars led the Southern League in errors this season, many attributable to unpredictable bounces on the field, according to manager Mike Guerrero.

-- The clubhouse. Recent renovations enlarged and improved the clubhouse. "It was not kept well. It needs to be a clean and, most important, safe and healthy environment," Ash said.

-- A lighted batting "tunnel" for extra practice, for both home and visiting teams.

-- Stadium lights. While the foot-candle power of the lights is adequate, they are not properly aimed. "In terms of safety, it's tough to see on some parts of the field," Ash said.

"Reasonable demands," Stars general manager Buck Rogers said.

A fifth major issue, which should be a greater concern of ownership than even the Brewers, is the drainage problem that led to flooded dugouts this past season.

Several games (including the Alabama All-Star Sports Week doubleheader for high school players) were cancelled even when the field and weather made for playable conditions.

Because of budget woes, Mayor Tommy Battle said the city will not pour substantial tax dollars into extensive renovation of the stadium.

However, the first two issues are merely a matter of staffing and the fourth simply enlisting the service of lighting experts. The batting tunnel would be the only major expense in capital improvement.

Team owner Miles Prentice has said in past interviews he would be willing to share in some financial responsibility though he has not been in Huntsville to meet with the team staff or city officials since mid-July.

"Let's get the issues fixed and let's get everybody happy and back on the same page," Rogers said.

-- The quality of the playing field. "At one time, it was pretty good," Ash said. "It isn't now." The Stars led the Southern League in errors this season, many attributable to unpredictable bounces on the field, according to manager Mike Guerrero.

I'm not disputing, I'm sure the field is not the best, but I wonder if anyone has done any reseach comparing the Stars errors at home vs road games and visitors errors in H'ville compared to their home or in other road games

• 1 month later...

I guess we now know why Stars owner has invested so little in the Stars or Joe Davis stadium -- he's pinching pennies to become the Astros' new owner --

Stars' owner Prentice wants to buy AstrosMark McCarter, The Huntsville Times

HUNTSVILLE, AL. -- Miles Prentice, the majority owner of the Huntsville Stars for the past nine seasons, is interested in buying the Houston Astros of the National League, according to reports from Houston.

The reported price tag for the team is $800 million.

Prentice, a New York attorney, previously failed in an attempt to buy the Kansas City Royals in the 1990s when Major League Baseball owners refused to approve his group's bid.

He has also been involved with potential purchases of the Milwaukee Brewers, Cincinnati Reds and Boston Red Sox.

Prentice also owns minor league teams in Midland, Texas, and Norwich, Conn.

He has had little hands-on involvement with the Stars, though he did make two trips to Huntsville this past summer. In the first visit, he announced he would renew the team's lease with the city of Huntsville through 2015. The Stars have had the lowest attendance in the Southern League and in Double-A baseball the past two years.

According to Fox 26 Sports in Houston, Astros owner Drayton McLane, who put the Astros up for sale Friday, acknowledged he had already been discussing the sale with Prentice.

"I had known Miles Prentice," McLane told the station. "He was trying to buy the Kansas City Royals a number of years ago. I was on the ownership committee and I first met him there and then he was involved in trying to buy the (Milwaukee) Brewers and did not make it.

"I did not know him well. He just contacted me and came down, seven-eight months ago, and he said if I could raise the funds to buy the Astros would you consider it and I said sure. He has a great reputation. He owns (three) minor league teams and has owned minor league teams for 15 years and has a good reputation in the minor leagues and people think highly of him and so I said if you can show me you have the financial wherewithal to do it, he hasn't done that."

McLane said "My deal with him is if you raise a big some of money then you come talk to me. He calls me from time to time and says he's making progress, but he doesn't have anything solid at this time."

Stars owner Miles Prentice interested in buying Astros

http://media.al.com/breaking/photo/9061888-large.jpg

Archived