Brewer Fanatic

What is your mortgage rate?

twobrewers

I'm currently shopping for a mortgage.

So far, I have one lender at 5.5% on a 30 year fixed rate with around $1,200 in closing costs.

I figured I would try a little research on Brewerfan.net to see what others have paid in closing costs and obtained as a mortgage rate.

(I have an Aunt who paid 12% on her mortgage until she paid off her house. Of course, back in the 70s and 80s rates were much higher)

• twobrewers wrote:

I'm currently shopping for a mortgage.

So far, I have one lender at 5.5% on a 30 year fixed rate with around $1,200 in closing costs.

I figured I would try a little research on Brewerfan.net to see what others have paid in closing costs and obtained as a mortgage rate.

(I have an Aunt who paid 12% on her mortgage until she paid off her house. Of course, back in the 70s and 80s rates were much higher)

Originally bought the house in 2001 at 6.25% for 30 years and $800 closing from a national chain bank, then refinanced in 2002 at 5.35% for 20 years for $400 through and local community bank.

5.625% on a 15 year mortgage, obtained in 2005. I don't remember the closing costs. We applied some of the proceeds of the sale of our first house toward this purchase, which is how we managed the 15 year rate.

I'm glad you started this thread, twobrewers; by checking the online account tonight I noticed that our financial institution seems to not have processed our July payment correctly. I guess we'll be contacting them in the morning.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

When we bought our house in 2006 we had a 100% loan with a fixed rate of 6.75% with no PMI for 30 years. I believe our total closing costs were around $2200 because of the 100% loan with no PMI.

We refinanced this spring at a fixed 5.00% for 30 years. With our home's appreciation and what we already paid we covered the 20% so there was no need for PMI or a different loan. I don't remember the closing costs this time but they were less than we originally paid in 2006.

Our lender (Landmark Credit Union) is currently 5.375% for 30yr fixed. We "locked" in 6.25 2 years ago. I have seen it as low as 5.0% over the last few months. Closing costs/fees were $600-$1,000 as I recall. I think if it goes down again we will re-fi.

0%

Downsized and paid off both with proceeds from sale of bigger house.

But real estate taxes in this state suck. $8800 for a 3 BR ranch on a big postage stamp size lot.

I don't mind saying that your monthly cost for RE taxes is more than the Principal, Interest, and RE tax escrow on mine. Granted my home is in a smaller town so the FMV is a bit lower but $8,800 is just mind blowing to me. In my area a house would have to be worth $500,000 minimum for a tax bill that high. That $500,000 in my neighborhood would probably be worth closer to $1 Million in Milwaukee or Chicago.

You can do much better. Try Wells Fargo, even if you don't go with them, they're very valuable to use their rates as a guide. You an usually find a place or two that will beat WF's rates (give Accunet a call). Check them out for yourself:

https://www.wellsfargo.com/mortgage/rates/

And the closing costs of course are negotiable as well, as I'm guessing someone could get you 5% with the same $1,200 closing costs. I gave up 1.125 points to lock in at 4.375% to re-finance in April, when 30-year rates were the same at 15-year ones.

We purchased our 1,450 square foot house in 2003 for $219,000. We got our initial home loan at 5.25%. The loan amount was for $180,000. In order to avoid PMI, we took out a Home Equity Line of Credit. Our HELOC rate at purchase was 6%. Now, it is at 8.25%. We cannot refinance our HELOC because of the housing market. The fair market value for our home 2 years ago was $250,000. Now it is $210,000. less than what we built it for.

On a side note, don't build with Veridian Homes. We paid waaaaay too much for our small home.

• 2 weeks later...
A few months ago, I refinanced to a 30yr @5.00. After closing, I returned home to find notice in the mail that my arm rate readjusted to 3.75%. I immediately canceled what I had just signed.

Archived