Brewer Fanatic

Braun's comments: Latest: Braun Issues Statement, "Wasn't trying to call anybody out"

I certainly believe that Melvin is doing everything in his power to find a deal to make this team better. That said, I honestly believe that Melvin's comments will have a far more negative effect than Braun's comments. Braun simply sounded like a frustrated player who was voicing his honest feelings. He never said anything about the pitcher's not being any good period - he said that we got outperformed this series. From the original blog about Braun:

Braun said the Cubs' starting pitchers are "a lot better than ours."

"They threw the ball a lot better than our starters did," said Braun. "They certainly swung the bats better than we did as well. Clearly, they were the better team.

"It was nice to at least get one win but they clearly outplayed us and outperformed us during the series." (end quote from blog)

If you notice, Braun never said that the Cubs' starting pitchers ARE a lot better than ours. Those are Haudricourt's words in the blog (hence they are not in quotes). Braun said, "Their starting pitching was clearly a lot better than ours in this series." He's talking about this series. Haudricourt makes it sound as though Braun thinks our whole rotation is crap all the time, when that's not at all what Braun said if you take his words in context.

Also, Braun clearly stated that he knew Melvin was trying to make our ballclub better. And that the asking price was pretty high. He concludes by saying he would like a move made sooner, which is not unreasonable at all.

Additionally, I don't see Braun's comments as throwing players under the bus. He said we got outperformed this series. Guess what, it happens to everyone, even the best players, so that isn't calling people out. And he's not calling Burns or McClung out because those guys know they are replacement players and not the number one candidates for the job. While they both want to make the most of their opportunity and would love to be starting for us all season long, they just aren't that level of pitcher. It's not a knock on them as people or as professionals. They just aren't the most talented pitchers, and Braun was simply stating that he would like to have more talent on the pitching staff. I'm guessing that if you asked Seth McClung, he would be more than happy to go back to the bullpen immediately if it meant giving our team a better chance to go deep in the postseason. Did anyone see how thrilled he was last year after Braun's homer against the Cubs in game 162? A big 6'4 guy or however tall he is jumping around like a little kid. I'm sure that he would settle for that feeling again even if it meant going back to the bullpen. He has to know he will never be a regular in the rotation for a contender anyways.

Maybe (just maybe, I obviously can't say for sure) this team is so close that they all were on the same page with what Braun said and Melvin just wasn't.

As for Melvin's comments, he seems to assume a lot from Braun's statements. By talking about Braun throwing guys under the bus, he tells us all exactly how he interpreted Braun's statements - with the idea that some guys are underperforming. Melvin's statements worry me more than Braun's. Then again, it's all just likely a result of Melvin being frustrated with losing and with not being able to currently find a good deal to make. So, he wasn't in the greatest of moods when he read/heard Braun's comments and took them in a very negative way.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like DM, but perhaps had he been doing his job and not sitting on his hands still Ryan wouldn't have had to pop off. I don't buy this BS about there not being alot available. Almost EVERYONE is available for the right price. You just have to be willing to pay it, and apparently by DM saying he's not trading Escobar or Gamel, he's not willing to pay the price. You can't have it both ways Doug. Either you are serious about REALLY trying to improve this club or you aren't. If you are, then you don't make any player off limits except Braunie, Prince and Yo. Everyone else should be expendable in the right deal. You either want to win now or you don't, which is it Doug?? Your inactivity to this point leads me to believe you aren't that interested in winning now, and you are getting on Braun because you know he's right, and you don't intend on doing anything BIG to help the ballclub.

Doug Davis, though decent is NOT the kind of move to put this team over the top. He should know that.

Actually, I believe Sunday games sometimes outdraw Friday night games, at least over the past couple of years. In any case, weekday afternoon games certainly do draw big crowds and do sell out a fair share too. However, most of these are school/YMCA type groups that receive discounted tickets. They also offer half price tickets to kids and seniors for most day games.

Weekday afternoon games aren't going anywhere.

Amazing that the initial reactions to Melvin's comments were an atta boy Doug and Braun should keep his mouth shut. Melvin just dumped a barrel of gasoline and threw another match on this thing for good measure. At least Braun has the defense of being asked a question in a postgame environment after a rough series to a rival. What's Doug's excuse?

Well, at least everyone is being inappropriate...

I wonder if Braun or Melvin can even see the high road from down there?

Braun is still a kid. Melvin is an experienced executive. Both are wrong - but Melvin should know better.

It's funny that Melvin would take Braun to task for the offensive shortcomings. Who put that offense together? Melvin was the one who gave Hall a multi year deal. He was also the one that decided to pick up a $10 million option on Mike Cameron who's hitting .152 with RISP instead of bidding for guys like Ibanez, Abreu or Dunn, the latter two who signed very reasonable deals and Ibanez who until a recent injury was a MVP candidate. He was also the guy who paid a lot for a catcher that can't slug .300. Melvin did a nice job unearthing McGehee, but none of his other offseason offensive moves worked out.

Braun is still a kid. Melvin is an experienced executive. Both are wrong - but Melvin should know better.
I think DM is more wrong than Braun. I don't find much wrong in what Braun had said, we do need better starting pitching to achieve our goal this year.

It's funny that Melvin would take Braun to task for the offensive shortcomings. Who put that offense together? Melvin was the one who gave Hall a multi year deal. He was also the one that decided to pick up a $10 million option on Mike Cameron who's hitting .152 with RISP instead of bidding for guys like Ibanez, Abreu or Dunn, the latter two who signed very reasonable deals and Ibanez who until a recent injury was a MVP candidate. He was also the guy who paid a lot for a catcher that can't slug .300. Melvin did a nice job unearthing McGehee, but none of his other offseason offensive moves worked out.
Where on earth would have Ibanez, Abreu and Dunn played on this team if we did not have Cameron? Could you imagine how awful of fielding team we would have with Braun, Hart and any one of those guys? There was no CF on the market better than Cameron.

It is to early to count them as any sort of minor league depth...they have either not started playing yet or just started. The prospects we gave up had a much better chance of making the majors than 2 compensation picks.

What prospect we gave up last year would be helping this team right now?

Also, I understand your prospect love TheCrew07 and I love prospects too...I think it's important to mention in this discussion because CC wasn't just a rental...he brought back two fairly high picks. Will they pan out? We don't know and we also don't know if the prospects we gave up would pan out. I do agree that you'd like to have some balance in the minors and don't want to keep getting guys to AAA and then trading them and getting picks in the next draft. That puts the system out of balance at times.

W/O free agency, he would've went nowhere in Texas.

If only we had some tangible example, a track record of success you might say, where Doug Melvin had constructed a team largely without Free Agency.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Why does Melvin have a beef with Braun's complaints about the windows/shadows? That's fair and legitimate concern from the face of your franchise, and I didn't think they were inappropriate in the least. IMO, Melvin is a little thin-skinned.

I think like his recent comments, his comments about the shadows could be seen by some as whining and complaining. The taxpayers built a $500 million (or whatever) playground for these guys and Braun does not find it just perfect, so he spouts off to the media. The Brewers are spending $80 million on player salaries, but everything is not perfect, so Braun spouts off with more whining and complaining to the media.

I hate to say it, but if I look at this team...

Braun, Fielder, Hardy, Hart, Weeks, Gallardo, Gamel, Escobar all Jack Z Signings

McGehee, Bush, Counsell, Hall, Cameron, Looper, Suppan, Hoffman all Doug M Moves

I'm starting to think losing Jack Z could be a big blow to our team... it is possible that Doug could have played, or did play a major role in the drafting of our young studs. However, but all accounts this is our window, and aside from the CC Trade, which was huge, he has done little in 3 years to push this team over the top.

In particular, i'm still very angry with Doug Melvin over his handling of Ben Sheets. To have a player who was part of your major league roster for eight years, and be part of the organization for longer, and then simply chuck him out with the trash was, in my mind, inexcusable. Sheets never made negative comments about the Brewers, and certainly wasn't "owed" a big contract, but the fact that it seems that Sheets has ZERO interest in coming back to a playoff calibur team he's played for (for a decade), and that Melvin has no interest in bringing him back in pure insanity.

Ben Sheets (assuming he's healthy for Aug/Sept) is a notch above any pitcher that will be available by the trading deadline. Giving Sheets a $5 million/2 month deal (assuming health) would have been the no-brainer of the century. He had good chemistry with the team, and is EXACTLY the piece that this team needs badly right now.

I know, coulda, shoulda, woulda. The fact is, that Sheets would be pitching a very short season. Sheets, before being injured/burned out late last fall after abuse from Yost, was an elite, Cy Young type pitcher. Sheets, based on his past performance could have been the second coming of CC Sabathia. He could also have been a dud, but for $5 million, and the loss of no prospects, you take that risk.

So thanks for nothing Doug. Ryan Braun wants to win, he wants to get better. You might be trying to make the team better, but simply put, i don't think you make this organization better. You are much better than Dean Taylor and Sal Bando, but i love the Milwaukee Brewers and I expect more. We have a GREAT core of players, we have GREAT fans, a solid owner, and ample financial resources.

I'm puzzled why DM feels the need to go public here. What was he trying to accomplish?

Ryan Braun > Doug Melvin.

Drop the hammer Mark.

DM was pulling his chute methinks. I have always been in the "Jack Z is the reason for Milwaukee's success" camp. DM has done some nice things, but this team was built through the draft and scouting for the most part.

I'm sure some here won't agree with me, that's fine, but I think DM wants out too.

Where did I say any of the prospects we traded would have helped this year? But they could have been traded for someone who could have. Again, I feel like you are not getting what I am saying. I have no problems with them being traded. I have a problem with getting rid of prospects/good value for a rental. We now no longer have any of them and we no longer have the rental. We now have 2 compensation picks who have a significantly lower chance of helping out as much as the prospects we got rid of and certainly have lower value at this point. I am all about trying to maintain success...rentals won't get you that.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

People that are quick to praise Jack Z and rip DM need to remember that the team's goal all along was to build through the draft. The core of a small market team has to be built that way. The rest of the pieces are filled in with middle tier free agents. DM picked up a ton of guys off the scrap heap for nothing and rarely gets credit for that (it's happened so often that it's got to be more than chance at this point).

My only issue with Melvin to date is that he hasn't procured young talent with every deal. I'd rather get a young A ball arm than Laynce Nix for example.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Doug is at fault here. Ryan should have kept his mouth shut, but he is a first rate player. It is Melvin who brought the team into the season with a third-rate pitching staff.

Melvin is at fault in this. Melvin made me lose respect for him.

Ryan is just doing what he does...

DM's trust in Jack Z to identify top talent to draft was pretty well documented through the various print and a/v features that have been done. DM had the ability to say yes or no, but he was going almost totally on Jack Z and his staff. DM works more on the day to day baseball operations of the major league club.

I do give credit, Homer, to DM for finding some diamonds in the rough, but they were largely flashes in the pan, Doug Davis and Podsednik notwithstanding. Some here have mentioned Mags as another discovered gem, I find it ironic that, especially here, sample size hasn't been brought into the discussion on him. Obviously for the Brewers organization, I hope his current streak isn't an outlier.

Ben Sheets (assuming he's healthy for Aug/Sept) is a notch above any pitcher that will be available by the trading deadline. Giving Sheets a $5 million/2 month deal (assuming health) would have been the no-brainer of the century. He had good chemistry with the team, and is EXACTLY the piece that this team needs badly right now.

I know, coulda, shoulda, woulda. The fact is, that Sheets would be pitching a very short season. Sheets, before being injured/burned out late last fall after abuse from Yost, was an elite, Cy Young type pitcher. Sheets, based on his past performance could have been the second coming of CC Sabathia. He could also have been a dud, but for $5 million, and the loss of no prospects, you take that risk.

There's been no indication lately that Ben Sheets will be able to pitch in 2009, and there's a possibility he might not even be 100% until midseason next year. There are even teams reportedly interested in him that say he won't be pitching at all this year. It would've been nice to have that option, but it doesn't look like it could've been a possibility, even if bridges weren't burned.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Everyone says that yes we do agree with Braun that the Brewers need starting pitching. What Braun did by saying this to the media tipped the hand of the team. Sure other teams may have an inkling that the Brewers need pitching, but a player saying as much to the media screams of desperation and will weaken our position in any potential deal.

Community Moderator

Ben Sheets (assuming he's healthy for Aug/Sept) is a notch above any pitcher that will be available by the trading deadline. Giving Sheets a $5 million/2 month deal (assuming health) would have been the no-brainer of the century

Recent reports are that Ben is very possibly not going to pitch this year. If the Brewers had re-signed him (or he had accepted the arby that they offered him), they'd have been paying him millions of dollars to not pitch possibly at all this year.

Wow...pretty dumb move by DM if you ask me. If he has a problem with what Braun said he should have handled it internally, not going out to the press. He's basically chastising Braun for going public with his comments, then he does the same thing.

Braun is the face of Milwaukee sports and a baseball star. Doug Melvin is....Doug Melvin. 75% of baseball fans probably have no idea who he is. Watch where you step, Doug.

I'm not happy with DM saying this to the press, but let's not forget that it was Braun who first called people out to the mat in public. A lot of people here thought it was great then. And no, being "the franchise" doesn't excuse it.

Archived