Brewer Fanatic

Braun's comments: Latest: Braun Issues Statement, "Wasn't trying to call anybody out"

(from TH article)

Melvin is as measured and calm a person as I've dealt with professionally, so this really hit a nerve personally for him to say anything publicly. As aggravating as I can be, he's only truely gotten mad at me once, and I deserved it.

This is why I think people are bogus for calling DM out for this, the guy is ALWAYS even keel and calculated in his words and he gets emotional one time and people bash him.

That fact is that DM should've known better. It doesn't matter that it happened one time. His comments extended this story by at least two days now (yesterday and today). If I worked on the Brewers PR staff, I'd want to throttle DM right now.

He should have told all those hard-working front-office folks privately that he was pissed at Ryan and told them he would let him know how he feels about his comments.

He should have talked to TH about it (saying no comment would have extended the story too). He should have said something to the extent of "Everyone in the Brewers organization shares Ryan's competitive fire and desire to win. However, I was disappointed with how he expressed himself following Sunday's game. I am going to sit down with Ryan before the game on Tuesday and express that disappointment to him directly." Yadda yadda yadda. Then after the interview, he should have told TH that would be his last public comment about the incident and let that be that.

Braun was out of line with what he said, but Melvin's reaction was just piss poor managment.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The part that was so frustrating to me was this comment from Melvin:

"They didn't say the hitters weren't doing their job. He's hitting in front of one of the best hitters (Prince Fielder) in the game."

This makes me feel like Melvin is slapping Braun in the face and saying that Fielder is the reason Braun is so good. I just don't see what good can come of these comments from any GM. Not saying I agree with Braun going public either but Melvin is coming off as a little trite here.

Hopefully this all goes away today when they meet.

Braun was out of line with what he said, but Melvin's reaction was just piss poor managment.

I don't agree. Braun needs to learn he doesn't run the team and he should be more careful what he says in public. It's fine and dandy to be media friendly but his first loyalty should be with the organization and his teammates. If he's going to publicly bash them, then maybe a public flogging is in order for payback.

There are ways to deal with your frustrations. Taking them to the media ultimately reflects bad on the player himself. A little public scolding to remind him who's in charge isn't a bad thing.

Braun has now spouted off, what four times this season (once previously about poor play, about the scouting, about the Miller Park shadows, and now this)? Pretty sure Melvin was trying to shut him down from making this a monthly Braun eruption.

I don't agree. Braun needs to learn he doesn't run the team and he should be more careful what he says in public. It's fine and dandy to be media friendly but his first loyalty should be with the organization and his teammates. If he's going to publicly bash them, then maybe a public flogging is in order for payback.

There are ways to deal with your frustrations. Taking them to the media ultimately reflects bad on the player himself. A little public scolding to remind him who's in charge isn't a bad thing.

A public scolding is never something a manager in any company should ever do to employee. The possibility for harm far outweighs any good that should come with it. Managers need to have more measured and thoughtful responses to stuff like this. It's not about being media friendly, it's about handling a situation that comes up the right way. Melvin failed miserably.

Melvin didn't fail, he defended all the people he works with and how much do you wanna bet Braun doesn't have any more comments about the team needing to add help.

How are people so sure DM hasn't already said things privately to Braun about toning things down? If he has said something, and Braun keeps doing it, then what?

A public scolding is never something a manager in any company should ever do to employee. The possibility for harm far outweighs any good that should come with it. Managers need to have more measured and thoughtful responses to stuff like this. It's not about being media friendly, it's about handling a situation that comes up the right way. Melvin failed miserably.
I couldn't disagree more. Managers, GMs, Head Coaches in all sports have every right to publicly chastise a player. They know their "employees" better than we do. There are times it does a world of good to call out a player publicly. As far as Braun/Melvin goes, we may not know the whole story. Perhaps Braun has been told not to spout off about things, maybe even recently. IF that's the case, it would explain why Melvin chose to call him out.

I'm not sure what good calling out anyone in a public forum does. All it does is put the person on the defensive and make them feel like you are trying to embarrass them. Particaularlry when the player is paid more than you and has a longer contract, it's just dumb.

Regardless, Braun is going to speak on this at 4:25 per McClavy's twitter:

AdamMcCalvy#brewers Braun to address reporters at 4:25 p.m. CT about his spat with GM Melvin. Might be just a quick statement.

I forget who the other player was
Wasn't it Erik Cordier?
Indeed it was. Well done sir.

Colby's response should once again put to bed the questions about the draft, even though it didn't the last time I linked to that post.

edit. And yes I looked through the forum page by page to find it.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'm not sure what good calling out anyone in a public forum does. All it does is put the person on the defensive and make them feel like you are trying to embarrass them.
Exactly. I can't figure out why people here aren't holding both to the same standard.

A public scolding is never something a manager in any company should ever do to employee.

From a business management standpoint, I absolutely agree. My employees trust me, and I think the biggest reason is because they know that I will be honest with them in private and I won't call them out in front of the other employees.

That said, I also agree with earlier posts that baseball management is a huge difference from most business management that we know. I'm not really sure how I feel about this, and I'm not sure if I necessarily take either side, but I do know that comparing this to any other business outside of sports just muddles the logic.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

This is going to be the next topic on Around the Horn. Just a heads up.

Cowlishaw, Marriotti and Plaschke agree with Melvin. Don't think hitters should call out the pitching. Should know that Melvin and his staff is working hard to get pitching. Doesn't need a player to tell him that. Got Sabathia last year, worked out pretty well for them etc.

Paige agrees with Braun. Shows team leadership.

From McCalvy's Tweet:

Braun on comments about #Brewers pitching: "I wasn't trying to call anybody out." ... "I apologize if I offended anyone in the organization."

EDIT: Heard the whole statement on Homer: Uggh, also gave the dreaded "taken out of context" explanation. Did say he owned up to taking responsibility for it and that he and Melvin are "cool."

Braun's statement

By Anthony Witrado of the Journal Sentinel

July 7, 2009 4:48 p.m.

Ryan Braun came out and met with the media before taking batting practice today. He did not take questions after the statement, which lasted about a minute and a half.

The statement, which wasn't prepared, addressed what Braun said Sunday after the Brewers lost to the Cubs. Braun said he wanted the team to make a trade and said the pitching in the series wasn't good. If you haven't seen the quotes, take a look at our blog from Sunday. GM Doug Melvin wasn't happy about the comments and publicly said so. For those comments, again, check out the blog from last night or today's story on jsonline.com.

Here is what Braun had to say earlier, which he said was "from the heart:"

"Doug and I met this afternoon as soon as I got to the ballpark. We had a good discussion. I think both of us now have a clear understanding of where each other's coming from. It's derived from being competitive. Everybody wants to win. That's the reality of it.

"It's not going to jeopardize my relationship with him. It's not going to jeopardize my relationship with the organization. I know they're trying their best to do their job. They always have, they always will. It's basically a misunderstanding. I feel like my comments were kind of taken out of context a little bit, blown out of proportion. I was a little bit surprise that it became the story that it has. But with that being said, I take full responsibility for everything that I say, for all of my actions. At times I'm emotional, I'm passionate. It's derived from just wanting to win, but I definitely take full responsibility for that.

"With that being said, Me and Doug are cool. Everything's good. I have no issues with anybody. I apologized if I offended anybody in the organization. That clearly wasn't my intent. I wasn't trying to disrespect anybody, wasn't trying to call anybody out. It wasn't a conversation that I initiated. I was just basically responding to a question. I try when I'm dealing with the media to be honest and sometimes I'm honest to a fault. It gets me in trouble. I recognize that. It's a strength and a weakness. It's something that I need to be more aware of at times.

"We'll move forward. Hopefully it's something I'll learn from. It's definitely something I'll learn from, and we'll move on."

Hopefully this story can finally die with that statement. I'm not thrilled about the half-apology ("I was just answering a question, I was taken out of context, but I realize I need to be careful", etc.), but hopefully it'll appease the media and everyone can just shut up and finish the first half strong.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I thought Braun did an excellent job in what he said in that minute and thirty seconds. It's done and over with as far as I'm concerned lets play ball and get on a roll. I feel a big game from Braun tonight 3-4 with at least one HR.

I agree. I can't believe how many people on this board seem to have a sheer hatred of Braun seemingly boiling under their skins. He apologized, said he made up with Melvin, etc. Were some people expecting him to start bawling and publicly beg for everyone's forgiveness? I thought it was one of the more honest statements I've seen a baseball player give in a long time.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Ryan Braun has backtracked and hopefully him and Melvin are on the same page now. I got quite a laugh out of the quote something along these lines:

"Doug and I are cool!"

Especially preceded by "With that said..." He should've ended that sentence by saying "...and that" and winked at the camera.

Hope this is the last of this particular dustup.

Archived