Brewer Fanatic

Braun's comments: Latest: Braun Issues Statement, "Wasn't trying to call anybody out"

Inappropriate or justified? Not the whole article, but these are most of his quotes.

"I wish I got to make decisions like that," Braun said with a smile. "I wish I was in those conversations. I know he's trying to make our ball club better. I know he recognizes the importance of making a move and making it soon.

"At the same, I think everybody has recognized there are a lot of teams still in the race. There are not too many teams willing to give guys up and if they are, the asking price is pretty high.

"That being said, it would be nice to make a move and it would be nice to do something to help us out for the time being. The sooner we do it, the better."

Braun said the Cubs' starting pitchers are "a lot better than ours."

"They threw the ball a lot better than our starters did," said Braun. "They certainly swung the bats better than we did as well. Clearly, they were the better team.

"It was nice to at least get one win but they clearly outplayed us and outperformed us during the series."

"Their starting pitching was clearly a lot better than ours in this series. All four guys we saw in this series are No. 1, worst-case, No. 2 type starters. They make big pitches in big situations. You're not always going to get hits in those situations."

"To show everybody we're for real, we can go out there and make a move and improve our ball club. We want to head in the right direction, not the wrong direction. "

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/49981567.html

(edit: more explicative thread title --1992)

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ehhhh...i think inappropriate, regardless of whether they are true or not. he could at least have worded it better. now you got tension in the locker room. is looper or suppan thinking "i wonder if he is talking about me?" now mcclung is upset and isn't even performing out of the bullpen well. i don't know, they aren't that sensitive but those comments certainly can't help team chemistry. maybe something like "our guys are battling but we aren't getting the results right now. it's always nice to add some quality arms and i'm sure we could find a place for one."

I guess it's annoying to me that Braun thinks Doug Melvin isn't fully aware of the situation. Does Braun really think he's got a better understanding of the trade market than Melvin? Because otherwise his comments are just Captain Obvious stuff
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Come on, those that suck know they suck, they aren't asking "Gee, I wonder if he's talking about me?". And if it upsets McClung enough that he can't return to the bullpen then he can give up his $1.6 million salary and find something else to do.

Braun was asked questions and he answered them.

Right on Mickey D!

It's getting pretty ridiculous how the Sewers are having to play from behind almost every game. Braun is an All-Star and is one BIG reason why the team has the record it does. He didn't say that people stink or use foul language, he just mentioned that maybe it's gut check time for the starting pitching squad.

I think he also might be right about Melvin not having one darn clue! But, like my opinion on Glassboy Sheets, I'm gonna guess that I'm the only one here who thinks that.

Inapprorpriate.

What if Gallardo had said "we really need to make a trade to improve our offense after one of his 1-0 losses?

How would that have gone over in the clubhouse?

Everyone knows we need pitching help. What he said will have no impact on whether or not Melvin makes a trade. He will make one if it improves the team and he deems the cost reasonable.

Saying they kicked our ass is fine....saying we need to get some better pitching and we need to do it now just divides the team.

Cam or Counsell should let him know that comments like that should not be made to the media.

Especially after he said everything was great 4 days ago.................

Inappropriate. It might be "spot on" but it doesn't really help the confidence of the call-ups. I think most everybody knows the SP situation is bad. Does Braunie think that nobody understands that? In the meantime, does he think it will help the temporary SP's?

I like his candor, and I've liked it in the past, but this time I don't think it helps.

Ryan Braun is remarkably emotional and honest. He's very competitive, and sometimes honesty can be great medicine. I've come to respect his lack of athletespeak.

And/but, it only works because he's friggin awesome out there - generally speaking.

Who are we talking about here, major leaguers or first graders? If this hurts anyone's confidence then goodbye, see ya later, go try to find a real job.

If "everyone knows the SP situation is bad", then why is it so awful that Braun comes out and says it?

Some of you are acting like this is pee wee soccer and both teams should eat graham crackers and drink juice boxes after the game. We sure don't want anyone having hurt feelings.

I have no problem with the comments but not sure if would be the correct move. IMO we are more than 1 starting pitcher away from being a playoff caliber team this year. If we make a move this year, I hope it is trading Prince or JJ (assuming they bring good value back) for a top young pitcher or 2. I hope we do not do another rent-a-player.

He is insulting Burns, who will be back in Nashville in a week. McClung will go back to the bullpen and will be fine....

if very well could backfire, but it might make some of the Brewers mad...like they were on Saturday...This team seems to play better when they are mad.

Right on Mickey D!

It's getting pretty ridiculous how the Sewers are having to play from behind almost every game. Braun is an All-Star and is one BIG reason why the team has the record it does. He didn't say that people stink or use foul language, he just mentioned that maybe it's gut check time for the starting pitching squad.

I think he also might be right about Melvin not having one darn clue! But, like my opinion on Glassboy Sheets, I'm gonna guess that I'm the only one here who thinks that.

Really? Cmon.

I love it. He's calling out his teammates who are (currently) killing this team. What's the worst that could happen? We go in the tank along with the rotation and don't make the postseason? That's going to happen anyways if we don't get another arm.

As was published in the JS today, it sure would have been nice to have Doug Davis and his 7+ innings of 1 run baseball in each of his last three starts come in a Milwaukee uniform...I'm pretty sure that's the same type of thing Braun was thinking. And after last year, Braun and everyone else knows the importance of making the "big" trade as early as possible.

Inappropriate.

Walk into your boss's office and tell him how he should perform his job - let me know how it works. Macha coaches. Melvin acquires players. Braun plays baseball.

Of course Braun wants to empty the entire system to get better pitching. That would benefit him the most. Melvin does what benefits the club the most.

Of course Braun wants to empty the entire system to get better pitching. That would benefit him the most. Melvin does what benefits the club the most.

Didn't Braun just sign one of the most "hometown-friendly" contracts in all of baseball last year? Ryan has done a ton for this organization...I have no problem with him speaking out.

With all of the parity in the NL, the big winner (outside of L.A.) is going to be the team that makes the biggest/best move before the deadline. Think about it, what if the Cardinals went out and got Cliff Lee next week. They'd run away with the division.

Bottom line, if the Brewers are going to start playing with the big boys they have to start acting like it and make a big move. You won't hear Cubs/Cardinals/Dodgers/Phillies/Mets fans complaining about stuff like this.

Dear Ryan,

We've been shut out twice in the last week and we just lost 2 games out of the last 5 by the score of 1-0 and 2-1 (in 10 innings).

Maybe, score some freaking runs and stop worrying about the pitching.

Sincerely,

Yovani and Jeff

Bottom line, if the Brewers are going to start playing with the big boys they have to start acting like it and make a big move. You won't hear Cubs/Cardinals/Dodgers/Phillies/Mets fans complaining about stuff like this.
Have you paid attention to any Cubs fans at all this year and their complaints about managements total inability to bring anyone in in the OF or IF?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

By saying the Brewers should make a trade, Braun is saying the current guys aren't good enough and the Brewers need to get better. Comments like that don't sound like they are coming from a cohesive team that has each others back. Burns and McClung are professionals and don't need to be told they aren't doing their job by one of their peers because it isn't Braun's job to make personnel decisions.

Braun is definitely NOT old school, speaking out like that. Kind of a strange thing to say shorty after Suppan pitched incredibly well, however I understand where he's coming from.

Braun is putting in another of his 30+ HR, 115 RBI's, .320 batting average seasons. With his level of talent, if he developed more plate discipline and stopped swinging so much at balls out of the zone, he could likely improve on those numbers. As great as he is, someone like him who is as young as he is, and who (in my opinion) isn't yet living up to his full potential probably shouldn't be calling out teammates in the press. That just ain't cool. Discuss it behind closed doors.

Archived