Brewer Fanatic

Braun Starting Again In All-Star Game, Prince In, No Hoffman or Yo

PeaveyFury
Gallardo being unavailable probably factored into Marquis getting the nod over him.
That is a good point, although Marquis will be pitching on Saturday (as will Matt Cain), and Josh Johnson will be pitching on Sunday. You may be right though, as Wainwright will also be pitching on Sunday and is a guy who probably could have gotten in ahead of Marquis.

Yeah, I think Yo was battling for that last spot, and maybe that extra day of rest before the game for Marquis made the difference.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No Hoffman or Yo.

Somewhat stunning.

Charlie Manuel said early on that he would not select a pitcher that couldn't pitch in the AS game. Gallardo is currently slated to pitch next Sunday against the Dodgers, which probably kept him out.

Lily is the only Cub on the squad.

I can't believe both Lind and Pena got into the final 5 voting over Branyan.

For completeness:

AL nominees are third baseman Chone Figgins of the Angels, third baseman Brandon Inge of the Tigers, second baseman Ian Kinsler of the Rangers, designated hitter Adam Lind of the Blue Jays and first baseman Carlos Pena of the Rays.

NL nominees are shortstop Cristian Guzman of the Nationals, outfielder Matt Kemp of the Dodgers, third baseman Mark Reynolds of the D-backs, third baseman Pablo Sandoval of the Giants and outfielder Shane Victorino of the Phillies.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Marquis over Gallardo, when they already had Hawpe, is a head-scratcher.

However I'm very OK with Gallardo getting the extra rest. In fact, I kind of prefer that he's not on the All-Star team.

It was announced before the balloting was completed that they'd only be taking pitchers would could actually pitch. If Yo stays on schedule he pitches right before the all-star game. Given his workload, I'm alright giving him extra rest if it works out that way.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'm not sure, but this is probably actually good for the Crew. It'll save them a couple thousand bucks. I know some players have it in their contract that if they make the All-Star team, they get a $100,000 bonus or something.

I'm looking forward to the next time Gallardo pitches vs the Phillies. Lilly made it because he's a lefty, which they needed. Wondering how they are gonna handle 4 first basemen. Prince is the 2nd best hitter this year in the NL and deserves to play more than just one pinch hitting appearance. Can Gonzalez play another position? I know Pujols can play 2B

I take issue with denying a young player like Gallardo a spot on the all star team simply due to rotation configuration. If a guy is deserving of making it, why not name him and replace him prior to the game? This could end up being his only shot (not likely, but traumatic injuries do happen). Is Cholly Manuel just doing Melvin/Macha a favor by not naming Gallardo so they don't have to play the bad guy in telling Gallardo that he can't pitch?

Also, I don't see how Ryan Howard makes the team if Manuel isn't the manager. Four first basemen when one of them is playing in front of the hometown crowd is overkill. And when you're getting out-produced by Jaysen Werth as Howard is, you're typically the odd man out. Pablo Sandoval would have been a better choice. Heck, if you're dying for a guy with big Ks and big HRs, then go with Mark Reynolds.

On the Baseball Tonight before the Cubs/Braves game tonight, Peter Gammons picked Yo as his biggest all-star snub. Listening to Peter Gammons trying to pronounce "Yovani Gallardo" is a ton of fun...I believe his pronunciation was something like "Oh-vanny Gay-er-doe."

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived