Brewer Fanatic

2009-07-05 Brewers (Burns) at Chicago (Lilly) : 1:20 PM CT [Brewers lose, 8-2]

Guys like Burns and McClung should not be in a contending teams starting rotation. Period.
Guys like Todd Wellemeyer might disagree.

I also think we probably see Parra again, and probably Bush's return from the DL before we see a trade. Burns hasn't been spectacular, but the games he's pitched haven't been complete lost causes, either. I don't think we can say the same for McClung.

Edit: Well, not until now with Burns, anyway. I still think he probably gets another start based on his work against the Mets (and the Twins, to a lesser extent).

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't just on Burns--he actually looked pretty good through 4 (why Prince didn't go after that Fox foul is beyond me). He is what he is. This righty lineup has been pretty stinky today and some of Macha's decisions today (starting with putting Billy in there) have been pretty questionable.

Shame, I thought we had a chance for the split today.

I get the feeling tomorrow may be a day of action, after this showing by Mr. Burns.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I'm getting real tired of having these automatic losses with the likes of Parra and fill-in starters. The Dodgers and Cardinals are going to eat this team up if Melvin doesn't make a serious change. Parra should not be back up until he's proved he has fixed himself. Bush is back after the break, but that is too long to wait. Also, it would be nice to have a five man rotation with the off day and give everyone an extra days rest (especially Yo).

I'm getting real tired of having these automatic losses with the likes of Parra and fill-in starters. The Dodgers and Cardinals are going to eat this team up if Melvin doesn't make a serious change. Parra should not be back up until he's proved he has fixed himself. Bush is back after the break, but that is too long to wait. Also, it would be nice to have a five man rotation with the off day and give everyone an extra days rest (especially Yo).
I'd take Parra over the junk we're throwing out there now. McClung and Burns in the rotation = crisis mode.

Left-hander Manny Parra has worked his way back in the mix to make a start for the Brewers before the all-star break.

Demoted to Class AAA Nashville to work on his command, Parra turned in a stellar outing Friday night against Round Rock, pitching seven scoreless innings and allowing only two hits and two walks while logging seven strikeouts.

After watching right-hander Seth McClung struggle in two starts (0-1, 12.28) since coming out of the bullpen, manager Ken Macha is exploring other alternatives. Parra, who struggled a bit in his previous outing, is 1-2 with a 2.92 ERA in four starts with Nashville

well Didn not expect this to be a good Weekend with A rotation of Mcclung and Burns and Suppan going aganist the Cubs. I give great credit to suppan but no one here should think we can Contend with Burns and McClung in the Rotation.

I didn't realize the Cubs get both Johnson and Ramirez back tomorrow. That's better than any acquisition they could make for the playoff run.

I'll be surprised if we make a move. I'm not one to be negative, but I think if we couldn't distance ourselves from the Cubs with the depleted lineup they've been playing with the last month and a half, then there's no way we beat them when they get those two back. I see us keeping our prospects and competing for a championship next season.

I really hope I'm wrong.

It's hard to fault Melvin for Parra. At some point you have to take a chance on a younger guy and see if he can do the job.

The lack of depth is a concern given the prevalence of injury and the chance that Parra would fail, but then I guess you can say that almost every team has depth issues with respect to starting pitching. Parra wasn't a world beater last year, but he certainly didn't fail like he has this season, either.

I'm getting real tired of having these automatic losses with the likes of Parra and fill-in starters.
Assuming we lose today, the Brewers will have gone (I believe) 2-3 with the fill-in starters. I'm not saying that's ideal or the Brewers shouldn't deal for another arm (if they can for the right deal), I'm just not tearing my hair out yet.

I'm getting real tired of having these automatic losses with the likes of Parra and fill-in starters.
Assuming we lose today, the Brewers will have gone (I believe) 2-3 with the fill-in starters. I'm not saying that's ideal or the Brewers shouldn't deal for another arm (if they can for the right deal), I'm just not tearing my hair out yet.
That record is deceiving, though. Besides the last start by Burns, the pitching has been horrible and has killed the bullpen. If it wasn't for the offense scoring a ton of runs, they would be 1-4, and that doesn't even count Parra's last string of starts.

well i guess you have to look at it we are 1 game out of first with guys like McClung and Burns in the Rotation and Parra Meltdown along with a guy like Naverson who should be in 3a. I guess we should be happy where we are currently

I didn't realize the Cubs get both Johnson and Ramirez back tomorrow. That's better than any acquisition they could make for the playoff run.

I'll be surprised if we make a move. I'm not one to be negative, but I think if we couldn't distance ourselves from the Cubs with the depleted lineup they've been playing with the last month and a half, then there's no way we beat them when they get those two back. I see us keeping our prospects and competing for a championship next season.

I really hope I'm wrong.

Cubs at full strength are far better than the Brewers and Cards as is. Barring a major, major move by one of those two teams I see the Cubs winning the division by 5 games.

Brewers don't have enough pitching depth and with hitters like Cameron, Hart, Hardy, and Kendall in your lineup, there's no chance of a consistent offense.

.500 will be a good season for this group.

That record is deceiving, though. Besides the last start by Burns, the pitching has been horrible and has killed the bullpen. If it wasn't for the offense scoring a ton of runs, they would be 1-4, and that doesn't even count Parra's last string of starts.
Well, that's pretty much my point--if the offense is doing their job and Macha is doing his (why did Burns pitch to Fontenot or Fox in those situations), the mere presence of the spot starters have not necessarily meant "an automatic loss."

Community Moderator

No, Mike Burns is pretty bad. So is McClung.

Burns gave up two earned runs in 6.2 IP last time out... I think you're over reacting.

Not that I wouldn't prefer to get someone better for this spot in the rotation, though.

Archived