Brewer Fanatic

Could Josh Butler be in the rotation in 2009?

The guy is putting up some pretty good numbers this year and he's 24 years old. It might make sense to give him a shot if Burns doesn't work out. In 3 starts in Nashville, he has pitched 15 innings with 15 K's and 1 BB. His overall minor league numbers put him at a 2.62 ERA in 2009 with time in Bervard County, Huntsville, and Nashville. If he keeps it going, he better at least be a September call up. Looks like a good trade made by Melvin for Gabe Gross.

I think he could possibly get a shot next season, but this season is too soon. He needs to prove that he can command his pitches. I think its more likely Chris Cody would get a shot first. Plus Manny Parra will be up soon and Bush will be off the DL too eventually.

Butler certainly shows some promise. With a full 40 man though, some things will need to change. I don't think losing Koshanksy is a big deal, but that only opens up one spot. I liked the acquisitions of Wright and Green for depth going into this season, but if the Brewers do make a move for a SP, I hope that we can trade one (or both) away in that deal so that we can get some value out of them.

He left the game with an injury 2 nights ago, after throwing 1 pitch in the 3rd inning, no word on his status.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I know he's a sinkerballer but does anyone know what he tops out at on the radar and what other pitches he throws? Thanks

Courtesy of BCB by way of DRays Bay.

Talk about a tale of two seasons. Butler had arguably the best numbers of a very talented Columbus Catfish staff, but got called up to Vero Beach toward the end of June and simply got rocked, missed nearly a month of starts, came back and was slightly more effective.

The University of San Diego product was a surprise 2nd-rounder in 2006, as his draft stock had been falling in concert with his productivity, which sparked concerns over his durability. At his best, Butler throws a low-90s fastball with good sinking actions as well as two serviceable breaking pitches and a changeup. But something really got out of whack in Vero Beach: In 49 innings there, he allowed 9 homeruns. In his previous 357 innings(combined college and pro), he allowed a total of 13.

Before the 2006 draft, BaseballAmerica mentioned that a taxing delivery might be to be blame for his decline over the course of his junior year. The report was that he didn't incorporate his lower body enough, and that's practically inviting an arm injury. Judging from the poor 2nd-half statistics and the time missed, I'd say the concerns over his delivery are as alive as ever. Part of the decline can be chalked up to being promoted a level, but the sharp HR rate increase makes me think it's something else, such as not finishing on his delivery and leaving more balls up.

2007 was the second straight year Butler underwhelmed toward the end. I can probably be accused of saying this too much, but I think it applies to Butler perhaps more than anyone: I think he should make a move to the bullpen. If it is a durability issue, limiting his innings could help. Also, if efforts are made to clean up his delivery, pitching in shorter spurts might allow him to better focus on incorporating those changes.

Then again, perhaps his poor finish was a result of the injury(I can't for the life of me find out why he missed those 3-4 starts). He was dominant in his final outing(7 innings, 2 hits, 7 strikeouts), so it might be best to see if a fully healthy Butler can be successful in Vero Beach as a starter. Either way, VB is almost certain to be where he opens 2008, and he's still got plenty to prove.

And I believe X Ellence said the Brewers changed his delivery after they got him which is why he struggled last year.

Archived