Brewer Fanatic

A feel good NYPD story

jaybird2001wi

Talk about a rookie being thrown into the fire early, but this is a story that makes us feel good about newer officers. A rookie NYPD cop makes an arrest minutes after he graduates from the Police Academy in NY.

What I like most about this story is that newly minted cops tend to have slight fear when making an arrest but this quote says it all:

Firpo's feat "may be the fastest police action upon graduation in department history," said chief police spokesman Paul Browne, who was at the graduation ceremony for the class of 250 new officers.

What amazes me the most about NY is that while it still has the reputation of being a high-crime area, the NYPD officers have always shown some class. I remember visiting NY as a college student and the Public Safety officers patrolling the Subway systems were very willing to help me out when I got confused on getting a Subway token/ticket. They went out of their way to help me. I stayed at a hotel in mid-town Manhattan and I actually felt safe walking the streets because there were public safety officers at most street corners. This was post-9/11 and even now they still take time to help people.

In addition to this story, I also recall a story of a man that jumped onto the Subway tracks to yank a man that fell, preventing the guy from getting hit by on oncoming train. But what does everyone think, do the NYPD and the NY people get mostly a bad rap based on the large population?

Archived