Brewer Fanatic

2009-07-03 Brewers (Suppan) at Chicago (Zambrano) : 1:20 PM CT [Brewers lose, 2-1]

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not a big fan of giving free baserunners when the beaning of our guy pretty clearly wasn't intentional.

When that nut job is the opposing pitcher, its a good move. he's just stupid enough to get tossed.

Verified Member
So what, you protect your guy regardless, you see how Prince looked into the dugout? I really dont think Prince cares at all if it was intentional or not, there was a fastball thrown near his head, you retaliate, period
Protect them from unintentional bean balls? How does that work?

Verified Member
By hitting Derek Lee
The point is that it was unintentional. Hitting Lee isn't going to keep Prince from taking another unintentional bean ball, just as the warning didn't keep Suppan from unintentionally drilling Fox.

I guess the Cubs need to drill us tomorrow since Soup just accidentally drilled Fox with a high fastball.

I didn't like Suppan giving the Cubs a free runner or the ump warning both sides. It seemed to me that when Fielder got hit, the pitch got away from Zambrano a bit, and he was showing that he didn't have much control all inning long. At least it should be the end of the beanballs, although Suppan's probably lucky he didn't get tossed for hitting Fox.

Given how that inning started, I'm happy to get out of it with the score still tied. Hopefully Prince is still irritated enough about getting hit to hit one out to lead off the next inning. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Why not retaliate? Besides putting their hottest hitter on first, IMO, it's not a terrible idea to try to lure Zambrano into a confrontation or meltdown. I know it's a cliche, but it was nice to see Suppan stand up for Prince. That pitch was too close to his head for my taste.

i could really care less if it was intentional or not, its not okay to do, accident or not, and there are consequences for throwing near my franchise players face.
Agreed. Opposing pitchers are far too willing to come up and in on Fielder and Braun in particular. Its not coincidence that they are both near the top of the HBP list.

I dont even think it was intentional. I retaliate for two reasons. One, I'm protecting Prince and showing him I have his back and we arent going to sit on our hands as he eats chin music. Two, like pretendastronaut said I'm going to make Z hesistant from coming up and in again because he doesnt wanna get tossed

Looks like Zambrano's starting to settle down, but at least his pitch count is starting to get up there. It didn't look like Hart went around to me, but I'll just assume the ump had a better view.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived