Brewer Fanatic

XBOX red ring of death

bbrauch2000

I finally got the red ring of death last night on my 360. I've had it for over 2 years so the thing isnt on warrenty any longer. Has anyone done the at home fix using the guides online? If so, was it really hard and what were the results? I'd rather fix it myself in a day for 30 bucks if I could, rather than sending it to microsoft for a hundred bucks and having it take weeks.

Any advice?

The red ring of death warranty extends to 3 years, go through Xbox live, it shouldn't cost you anything.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I still just can't believe how common the RROD problem is.
Supposedly they've fixed it with their newer "jasper" systems.

edit: Just wanted to note that I'm not sure if they'd give a jasper system if you do send it in for repair.

chowyo123 wrote:

edit: Just wanted to note that I'm not sure if they'd give a jasper system if you do send it in for repair.

Highly doubt it. I think they just send out a previously repaired system. I have definitely had 2 different systems back after sending in mine for repairs. The one I got back this last time is noticeably quieter. The one I got back the first time had a manufacture date after my original purchase date. It only takes a little over a week to get one back after dropping it off at Staples. I don't think they send you a box any longer, but the give you a label that includes the cost of packaging I believe.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I was out of warranty when this happened to me and I just let them have it on the phone until they finally offered to fix it.

Wish I was that lucky. I called yesterday because the replacement they sent me less than a year ago now has a nasty grinding noise and won't play disks. From what I've scene on the net, this is also a common problem with something coming unglued inside. I was really nice to the supervisor pretty much the whole time, but he wouldn't do anything. He also was kind of a jerk about it, and refused to give me any of his information besides his first name, and wouldn't give me his supervisor's name, wouldn't transfer me to his supervisor, wouldn't have his supervisor call me, and wouldn't give me any phone number for corporate. Pretty awesome experience.

My experience with them went awesome so far. They asked me to go through all the simple fixes for things that might have been wrong with it, but when those didnt work, the guy walked me through the website to open up my service order, print off the mailing label and get the process started. He stayed on the phone with me and walked me through the entire ordeal. If I get the unit back in any sort of reasonable amount of time, they would get an A+ from me. If I get it back before Madden comes out, I would be beyond thrilled

You should get it back pretty quickly. Less than a month I would think and more like 2 weeks after sending it out. They will probably give you a month of Xbox live free so you don't pay for a service you can't use.

Wish I was that lucky. I called yesterday because the replacement they sent me less than a year ago now has a nasty grinding noise and won't play disks. From what I've scene on the net, this is also a common problem with something coming unglued inside. I was really nice to the supervisor pretty much the whole time, but he wouldn't do anything. He also was kind of a jerk about it, and refused to give me any of his information besides his first name, and wouldn't give me his supervisor's name, wouldn't transfer me to his supervisor, wouldn't have his supervisor call me, and wouldn't give me any phone number for corporate. Pretty awesome experience.

Wow, I find that pretty surprising. I have always had a pretty good experience with Xbox customer service, other than trying to understand what some of the service people are saying. I would call back until they fix it. You should be under a one year warranty from the time you last sent it in.

I blame Wang.

When I received my replacement refurbished Xbox 360 after I got the RROD, I was told that I only had a 90-day warranty on the replacement console. When I get the RROD again (not if...I'm almost positive I'll get the RROD again since I've been getting the quarter RROD every once and a while) I'll try to have them cover it anyway.

They give you a 90 day warranty if you were out of warranty when they fixed it. That's what I got. If I had paid or was still in warranty, they would have given me a one year warranty.

I blame Wang.

They give you a 90 day warranty if you were out of warranty when they fixed it. That's what I got. If I had paid or was still in warranty, they would have given me a one year warranty.

Do you mean the original warranty or the extended 3-year warranty? I was in the 3-year warranty when I had my Xbox 360 replaced for a refurbished one and they gave me a 90-day warranty. I'm hoping it won't matter though and that I don't see the RROD again...

Looks like you are right. If you pay to fix it they give you a year. Even in warranty fixes only get 90 days or the remainder of the original warranty, whichever is longer.

I blame Wang.

Just as a sidenote. My toddler busted the disc drive in our Wii, and I found the customer service with Nintendo to be amazing. After I called, I received an email with a fedex shipping coupon that I took to the nearest store. They packaged and shipped the unit for free and replaced it within 10 days. I was astounded.

Archived