Brewer Fanatic

July 4th Series vs. Cubs

Jofis11ep

I know it's still early in the season, but I think this series is a very big one. Obviously, it is big with 4 games against the Cubs but I think we can really put the Cubs out of it or they may be able to start a hot streak and overtake the division.

If the Brewers are able to get a split or even take 3 of 4 from the Cubs I think it will really get them going and be big blow to the Cubs and they may just start to fade. Everyone, including me, sees that the Cubs have talent and have been waiting for the to put it all together and it has not happened. I think if they are able to sweep the Brewers or themselves take 3 of 4 they may put it together and go on a hot streak for the second half.

Obviously it is just a series in early July but I think it may have significant barring on the rest of the season for both teams. I don't have any statistics to back this up, I just remember the A-Ram walk off two years ago and saw what that did. It's just a gut feeling for me... I think the Brewers (and probably Cardinals will stick around with them) can get some breathing room with the rest of the division after this series....as well the Cubs could begin their very hot streak after this series and start to play the baseball we thought they might early in the season.

Meh...Its big because it is 4 games against the team that is theoretically your top competitor for the division, and anything but a 2 game split will have a relatively big impact in the standings. It will not have much impact on what happens for either team on Monday however.

The Cubs starting pitching appears far stronger than the Brewers. Way, way more than what happens in this series (even if the Brewers were to sweep), the Cubs' fate will be determined by ARam's ability to come back and play well, and Carlos Marmol returning to form. If either one of those things does not happen, the Cubs are probably toast. If both happen, the Brewers are probably toast. Almost exactly half the season left after this series.

Community Moderator

At this point I really don't think we will learn much from this series. It's too early in the season and even last year's supposedly devastating 4-game sweep at Miller Park didn't mean anything in the long run--especially with another homestand coming up afterwards and a chance to take on the Cardinals.

As for the Cubs, they would be in bigger trouble with a 4-game sweep, but still would have 6 games to salvage their home stand.

The series is still intriguing though--our weak starting pitching (Cubs miss Gallardo) vs. the Cubs pathetic offense. Expect low scoring games.

No Gallardo or Bush, their top 4 starters, an inconsistent lineup...just don't get swept and we'll be ok. We just need some plate discipline to get into that crummy bullpen early. After Wednesday's performance I'm not optimistic.

With the schedule we have coming up if we are within 2 games of first at the All-Star break, I like our chances.

Archived