Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Thurs. 7/2 -- Plenty to Review, and Corporan with a Sour Final Update

Brownstein playing CF tonight for Helena, Roberts gets to play his position at C today. I thought Stang was heading to Helena? It's funny that an IF and C have ended up playing CF so far in Helena.
Didn't you hear? Second basemen and catchers make the best center fielders!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nashville has come back to tie the game at 4-4, Escobar now with a 3B and 2B, Gillespie also has 2 hits, and even Narron got a 2B.

Huntsville has come back to take the lead, and actually just won 4-3, the big blow came on a Garciaparra double in the 7th, Wooten gets the save on 9 total pitches.

BC up 1-0 in game 2, Anundsen doing his thing despite no Ks and 1 BB, but he's only given up 1 hit so far. Almost forgot to mention Brewer getting his 3rd career appearance at 3B in this game.

WI also comes back to the lead 4-2, Lawrie with 2 hits, BK also has 2, a 2B and he got his HR, a 2R shot. Merklinger pitched very well and was hitting 90 on the stadium gun.

Helena up 2-0 in the bottom half of the 5th, pretty quiet game.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Helena is about to go to rain delay, lightening hitting the ground to the north, I can't believe the players are still on the field, they are apparently trying hard to get through the bottom of the 5th and make it a game?

Finally a rain delay in Billings. 2 outs with a runner 3B when the game resumes, H-Crew up 2-1.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final, Game One: Brevard County 9, Charlotte (Rays) 4

Brevard County Game One Box Score

16 hits and four walks for Manatee batters in the seven-inning affair; Zelous Wheeler with a double, two singles, sacrifice fly; Steffan Wilson and Caleb Gindl each with three hits, including a double; Eric Farris reached base three times; Logan Schafer and Sergio Miranda each reached base twice, Miranda drove in three runs...

Brevard County Game One Game Log

Fun read, as you might imagine; Caros Corporan replaced for the final half-inning after running the bases in the top half -- probably not a concern...

WI wins as Tyson closes it out, I'm pleased he's pitching so well this season.

Escobar has 20 BBs now on the season, he's pretty much exactly on the same pace as last season when he had 31.

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Huntsville 4, Tennessee (Cubs) 3

Huntsville Site Game Summary

Stars Win Another Close Game Over Smokies

Huntsville Relievers Outstanding in Comeback Victory

By Brett Pollock / Huntsville Stars

Michael Garciaparra doubled home the the tying and winning runs in the seventh inning and the bullpen logged seven innings to carry Huntsville past Tennessee 4-3 Thursday night in the fifth of a six-game set at Smokies Park. The Stars improved to 7-4 in the second half and pushed their lead in the North Division to two games over the Smokies, who fell to 5-6 in the second half and 37-44 overall. The Stars are now 45-35 overall with 23 of their wins decided by either one or two runs.

Stars' starter Josh Butler threw two scoreless innings and was lifted with an injury after his first pitch to Mark Reed in the third inning was taken for ball one. Mike McClendon took over and gave up a single to Reed, who moved to second base on a Jay Jackson sacrifice bunt, to third on a passed ball and scored the game's first run when Jim Adduci bounced into a forceout at second base. Marquez Smith followed with a double to plate Adduci to push the home team's lead to 2-0. Butler allowed one hit and struck out one after throwing 25 pitches.

Vinny Rottino singled with one out in the fourth, moved to second base on a Garciaparra base hit and scored on a Chuck Caufield single that cut the lead to 2-1. Jackson was lifted after four frames and 76 pitches, allowing four hits, walking two and fanning five. In the bottom half of the inning, Tyler Colvin singled with one out, moved to second base on a Reed single and was thrown out at the plate for the final out by Caufield on a Jackson single to left field.

J.R. Hopf's bases loaded sacrifice fly in the top of the sixth off of Todd Blackford tied the game at two before the Smokies regained the lead in the bottom half of the inning on a Colvin fielder's choice grounder and errant throw back to first base by Garciaparra that allowed Doug Deeds to score. Juan Sandoval took over for McClendon in the sixth and was charged with the run before he threw a perfect seventh inning to grab his first win since May 29 at Tennessee. McClendon had thrown three innings, giving up two runs on five hits, behind Butler.

Kevin Melillo doubled with two outs in the seventh before a walk to Rottino chased Blackford from the game. Alex Maestri took over and gave up the game-deciding hit to Garciaparra, who drove a 1-0 offering into the alley in right-center field for his first extra-base hit since joining the team. Blackford was tagged with the loss after allowing three runs on four hits.

Casey Baron took over for Sandoval and threw a scoreless eighth inning and was lifted after getting Colvin to fly out to begin the ninth. Rob Wooten came on to strike out Tony Thomas and pinch-hitter Blake Lalli to end the game and record his second save of the series. The four Huntsville relievers allowed three runs on eight hits, walked one and fanned three.

The series concludes Friday night with right-hander Nick Green starting for the Stars against Tennessee right-hander Marcos Mateo. Coverage of the game begins at 6:00 PM central time and can be heard through the internet at www.huntsvillestars.com.

Huntsville Box Score

Trying to picture Jonathan Lucroy in Milwaukee with nine passed balls on July 2nd -- it would be a major story; 25 RBI for Chuck Caufield in only 151 AB's -- it's apparent he's graduated from "Chuckie"; oblique perhaps for Josh Butler? Check that Chinese calendar -- Year of the Oblique? Rob Wooten -- so money...

Huntsville Game Log

Anundsen's been uncharacteristically wild with three walks in five innings, but he has a sick 12/1 GO/AO; including hits, it's a 14/2 G/F.

EDIT: He had a nice 6th, striking out two and getting another grounder for the third out.

Bad mojo from your interview I'm sure, it's the reverse of "Jungle Karma".

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: DSL Red Sox 13, DSL Brewers / Orioles 10

DSL Brewers / Orioles Box Score

Brewers down 9-0 after an inning and a half, so a respectable effort after that; big lefty Jose Ramos and 19-year-old RHP Edwin Linares combined to throw the final four innings, and the game was actually tied 10-10 to the 9th when the Red Sox touched Linares for three runs; SS Andres Martinez left the game after just one at-bat -- it was just after the 9-0 deficit unfolded, perhaps an opportunity for rest; 2B Joan Abreu the beneficiary of that playing time -- double, single, walk; catcher Jhonatan Javier managed to drive in four runs on a 1-for-6 night; CF Juan Barrini singled, walked, and scored twice; OF Ronny Puello still MIA, as is RHP Francisco Rivero (last pitched June 8th)...

DSL Brewers / Orioles Game Log

Nashville tied in the bottom of the 9th with Littleton pitching, I have the same feeling I had tonight watching Smith pitch to Lee.

Edit. I knew it... lame.

- Plato

- Plato

Axford didn't pitch well either tonight and Littleton did manage to go a couple scoreless, he just doesn't inspire confidence. I picked up the Nashville feed after the T-Rat game, unfortunately.

- Plato

- Plato

Jonathan Pokorny with an interesting couple innings. He has struck out 6 through 2 innings but has given up 3 hits. He has also given up 3 earned runs. He could have gotten out of the 6th with no damage but Prince had a throwing error and then the next guy tripled.

Edit - In his 3rd inning he gave up a hit and struck out 1 more guy. I wonder if they are stretching him out a little. He was a reliever in college but in his draft bio it says he started in a summer league

Billings Bottom 6th

• Pitcher Change: Jonathan Pokorny replaces Kristian Bueno.
  • Tyler Stovall singles on a ground ball to shortstop Joshua Prince.
  • Yen-Wen Kuo singles on a line drive to left fielder Chris Ellington. Tyler Stovall to 3rd.
  • Christopher Richburg strikes out swinging.
  • Sean Conner strikes out swinging. Yen-Wen Kuo steals (1) 2nd base.
  • Frank Pfister reaches on throwing error by shortstop Joshua Prince. Tyler Stovall scores. Yen-Wen Kuo to 3rd.
  • Humberto Sosa triples (1) on a fly ball to center fielder Mike Brownstein. Yen-Wen Kuo scores. Frank Pfister scores.
  • Mauricio Pimentel strikes out swinging.

Edit - trwi beat me to it

Edit - In his 3rd inning he gave up a hit and struck out 1 more guy. I wonder if they are stretching him out a little. He was a reliever in college but in his draft bio it says he started in a summer league

I wouldn't be too upset if they tried Pokorny as a starter. If he pans out there, it's a bonus - and if not, he could always go back to the bullpen.

How about an almost shutout from the Arizona youngsters! I don't recall 'seeing' such a nice game from the kids, at least pitching-wise.

I really like Jose Garcia. I know it is the smallest of samples, but so far so good for him. I wonder what to make of the Brewers keeping Garcia in Arizona while Arias got the bump to Helena. I don't remember seeing any reasoning behind that. Do the Brewers actually consider Arias as having a more advanced bat? They put up pretty similar #'s last year in AZL...with Arias drawing more walks and Garcia showing a little more power...small sample. Has Arias shown he has less maturing to do either physically or mentally? Arias is a little bigger and slightly older...although they both have very good size. Since the Brewers paid a bit more for Garcia are they bringing him along slower to protect him? Whatever it is, once Pena is in the mix, the Brewers will have a pretty nice trio of young Dominican outfielders!

Only 10 games in, but it's nice to actually look forward to seeing the AZL box score every day for a reason other than to see how many walks and wild pitches the Santo Manzanillo's and Luis Jimenez's of the system surrendered.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Arizona Brewers 3, Arizona Rangers 1

Arizona Box Score

Lorenzo Cain continues his rehab; zero earned runs allowed for the four Brewer pitchers -- Pedro Lambertus gets the save in his first post-suspension appearance; non-drafted free agent RHP Mitch Miller, who will be 24 years old in November, does exactly what a "kid" that age has to do -- impress to eventually make up for lost time and bump levels, induced two GIDP's and pitched out of a 3rd inning jam; two more RHP's, Jose Oviedo and Maverick Lasker, tossed the middle innings -- be sure to scan Oviedo's two Houdini-like frames in the log; with Mike Brownstein now in Helena, just-turned 22-year-old first baseman Sean Halton wears the crown of most-advanced Maryvale hitter; third baseman Wayne Dedrick finding the baked infields tough this summer; two Brewers tripled...

Arizona Game Log

Max Walla out at home in the 6th; Franklin Romero stayed in a pickle long enough to score a 7th inning run...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Wisconsin 4, Clinton (Mariners) 3

Wisconsin Site Game Summary

Wisconsin wins another close one

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

GRAND CHUTE, WI - The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers have won five games in the second half. Four of those wins -- including Thursday's 4-3 win over division rival Clinton -- have been by a single run. Brock Kjeldgaard doubled, homered, and drove in a pair of runs for the Rattlers. Dan Merklinger pitched 6-2/3 solid innings for the win and Nick Tyson got the final four outs for the save.

The LumberKings (43-34 overall, 3-4 second half) scored first. Terry Serrano drew a leadoff walk and moved to second on Daniel Carroll's bunt single. A sacrifice bunt moved both runners up a base. Back-to-back RBI singles by Scott Savastano and Denny Almonte put the LumberKings up 2-0.

Wisconsin (39-38, 5-2) rallied in the fourth and Brett Lawrie started it. The Rattlers second baseman beat out a grounder to short for a one-out single. Corey Kemp was next and he lined a double of the wall in left to knock in Lawrie with the first Rattlers run.

One out later, Kjeldgaard doubled on a 1-2 pitch to send Kemp home with the tying run. Michael Vass put the Rattlers in front with an RBI single to center.

Kjeldgaard struck again in the bottom of the sixth inning with a long homer to left-center. The slugger's twelfth homer of the season came with one out and put the Rattlers in front 4-2. The home run provided the Rattlers with an insurance run they would need.

Merklinger needed a little help to get out of the seventh inning. The Rattlers starting pitcher struck out two in the frame, but had walked one and allowed a two-out single. Brandon Ritchie relieved Merklinger and got Savastano to fly out to left to end the inning.

In the eighth the LumberKings got a leadoff walk, a stolen base and a single to put runners on first and third. Ritchie got former Brewer farmhand Steve Moss to ground into a 6-4-3 double play that let the runner from third score. He would leave after a two-out walk and Tyson would enter.

The right-hander allowed a single to the first batter he faced, but got a groundout to end the inning with the Rattlers still leading 4-3.

Tyson got the first two outs of the ninth inning, but allowed a walk and a single to put the tying and lead runs on base. Tyson picked up his third save of the season by getting Jake Shaffer to flyout to right to end the game. Wisconsin's record in games decided by one run in 2009 improves to 12-7.

The final game of the four game series is Friday night. Efrain Nieves (2-4, 5.63) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. Clinton will send Alfredo Venegas (2-3, 3.69) to the mound. Game time on Friday night is 7:05 PM.

There will be an appearance by Marvel Comics superhero Spider-Man on Friday night. He will be signing autographs and posing for pictures with fans during the North Shore Bank Family Night. Children 12 and under eat free before the game. Children 14 and under may run the bases after the scheduled post-game fireworks display.

Friday is also Military Appreciation Night at Time Warner Cable Field. Active duty or retired military personnel will receive a free reserved seat ticket by showing a military ID at the box office.

Wisconsin Box Score

Dan Merklinger's peripherals are similar to those of his disappointing 2008 season, but the Seton Hall lefty has lowered his ERA significantly; four Clinton SB's in as many attempts, but catcher Corey Kemp picks a man off 3rd base...

Wisconsin Game Log

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Timber Rattlers hitters come through on two-strike counts to edge LumberKings

By Ryan Wilson

Post-Crescent staff writer

GRAND CHUTE - Two strikes with two outs. For batters, that equates to living on the edge.

If that's the case, the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers enjoyed the edge Thursday night in front of 2,674 fans at Fox Cities Stadium.

Wisconsin turned three two-strike counts in their favor - two of those run-producing singles with two outs in the fourth inning - to defeat Clinton 4-3 in a Midwest League game.

"We've been working on (hitting with two strikes) in the cage," said Michael Vass, who picked up an RBI with a single up the middle on a full count in the fourth. "Good things happen when you put the ball in play. They could throw the ball away or you can just put pressure on the defense. (Clinton pitcher Bobby LaFromboise) had me three-two, and the last thing I wanted to do there was strike out."

Batting with two strikes takes a fighter's mentality, and players often dig in, choke up on the bat, and stand closer to the plate to take away the pitcher's ability to throw the outside strike.

So what method worked for Wisconsin (5-2 second half, 39-38 overall) on Thursday night?

"Everybody has their own way to go," said Brock Kjeldgaard, who had two RBI with two-strike counts, one a solo home run that banged off the scoreboard above the video screen for the eventual game-winning run. "I like to get a little wider with my stance. I'm looking fastball and still trying to adjust to anything else because if you're looking for something else, you can't pick up the fastball."

Wisconsin trailed Clinton 2-0 into the bottom of the fourth when Brett Lawrie beat out a throw with one out. Corey Kemp's double off the left field wall scored Lawrie and the LumberKings' lead was cut to 2-1.

After Kemp moved to third on a fly out to right field, Kjeldgaard connected on a two-strike pitch down the third base line for a double to score Kemp and tie the game 2-2. Vass then collected his full-count hit up the middle to score Kjeldgaard and the Rattlers led 3-2.

Kjeldgaard added his long home run with one out in the sixth to give Wisconsin a two-run advantage.

"I ran hard out of the box, because you never really know if it's gone or not," said Kjeldgaard of his blast in the sixth. "Just two strikes, the pitch was in a bit and I got my hands down and put a good swing on it."

Wisconsin pitching kept the LumberKings off the board except for the third and eighth innings. In the third, Clinton used an error, a sacrifice bunt, and two ground-ball hits to plate two runs. The LumberKings' run in the eighth came when Denny Almonte scored from third on a double play.

Clinton stranded the tying run at second base in both the eighth and ninth innings.

Rattlers starter Dan Merklinger (2-2) went two outs into the seventh inning, giving up eight hits and two earned runs in his time on the mound. Brandon Ritchie and Nick Tyson came on in relief, with Tyson picking up his third save of the season. Bobby LaFromboise (5-3) took the loss for Clinton.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Helena 5, Billings (Reds) 4

Errors, wild pitches help Helena score twice in 9th inning to beat Billings, 5-4

By GREG RACHAC Of The Billings Gazette Staff

For what it's worth, the Billings Mustangs played better than they did 24 hours earlier, but that was of little consolation Thursday night.

Shortstop Shane Carlson and second baseman Mauricio Pimentel made crucial errors, closer Donnie Joseph unleashed a pair of wild pitches and Helena scored two runs without the benefit of a hit in a wild ninth inning.

The outcome was a familiar one at Dehler Park: Brewers 5, Mustangs 4.

The loss was Billings' eighth in its first 10 games of the season. The team made four more errors, stretching its total to eight in its last two.

A night after walking 10 Helena batters, the Mustangs' pitching staff was far better, striking out 14 while walking just one.

But the final score cast a pall over a silent clubhouse afterward.

"It's been kind of tough for us to close out games of late," said Mustangs manager Julio Garcia. "In situations like that we need somebody to step up and make a play. Tonight we couldn't do it."

Billings took the lead following a three-run sixth inning and a 43-minute rain delay, highlighted by catcher Humberto Sosa's two-RBI triple to deep center field.

A shutdown performance in middle relief by hard-throwing Daniel Corcino - who didn't allow a hit and struck out five in two innings - gave the Mustangs a chance to end the game with Joseph, the Cincinnati Reds' third-round pick in the June draft.

It didn't turn out as planned.

"We're trying to win every day and play hard every inning, but we didn't have any luck in the ninth inning, starting with the throwing error," Sosa said.

"But we have to keep going. We have to keep fighting and try to win tomorrow."

Carlson's error didn't come without controversy.

Helena's Chris Ellington led off the ninth with a grounder to short, but Carlson's throw was high and field umpire Derrick Brooks ruled it pulled first baseman Chris Richburg off the bag.

The call drew questioning from Garcia, but stood.

From there, Cutter Dykstra earned a one-out walk and Kyle Dhanani reached on a bungled throw by Pimentel that scored Ellington.

Dykstra later scored the go-ahead run on Joseph's second wild pitch.

The Mustangs then went 1-2-3 in the bottom of the ninth against RHP Michael Fiers.

Sosa finished 2-for-4 with three RBIs to lead the Mustangs' offense. Third baseman Frank Pfister scored two runs.

Though he was in line to be a hard-luck loser, Jonathan Pokorny got the win for Helena. Despite striking out seven and allowing no earned runs, a two-out error set the stage for the Mustangs' three-run sixth.

"Today's game was a whole lot better," Garcia said. "I was obviously pleased by the better effort.

"But we need to do a little bit more to finish out on top."

NOTES: The Mustangs halted their scoreless innings streak at 14 on Sosa's RBI double in the fifth. ... Ellington hit a solo homer off Mustangs reliever Ezequiel Infante in the sixth. It was the first run allowed by Infante in 20 appearances dating back to last season. … Brewers third baseman Edgar Trejo was ejected by home plate umpire Matt McCoy for arguing after striking out looking in the seventh.

Helena Box Score

Brewer pitchers only walk one -- always a plus with the rookie ball kids; H-Crew 5-for-5 in SB attempts, now an amazing 28-of-31 on the season; Helena batters only reached base six times outside of Mustang errors...

Helena Game Log

Photos by PAUL RUHTER/Billings Gazette Staff

Mike Brownstein of Helena steals second base during the first inning as a ball gets past Mauricio Pimentel. Brownstein also advanced to third base on the play and later scored the Brewers' first run of the game.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/billingsgazette.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/b/72/24e/b7224e90-679b-11de-a41f-001cc4c03286.image.jpg?_dc=1246602937

Archived