Brewer Fanatic

Minor League Transactions -- Potential FA's Henderson, Arlis Return; 12 released

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jonathan Mayo reporting via Twitter that the Brewers signed 16th round pick Scooter Gennett. No figure reported.

BA just mentioned on FSN that Gennett (which he pronounced "Jennett") signed, without citing a source. It sounded like a factual tone, to me.

I am so happy that we were able to sign those three guys today. This is a great job by the front office committing some large dollar amounts into the future of the brewers. Davis, Hall, and Gennett will be fun to follow these next few years. (As well as the many other picks the Brewers were able to sign this year!)

I wonder if we have been able to sign all these picks to over-slot in part because the Brewers were anticipating having higher and more picks for CC and Sheets. Without the extra picks the Brewers had more money to play with and high upside guys like Davis, Hall and Gennett could replace those picks pretty well. Great job getting these picks signed.

There's probably something to that as the Sheets situation likely left them under budget for the draft picks allowing them to make some moves they otherwise wouldn't have.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Every time I ask a member of the Brewers organization if a certain circumstance resulted in the team spending more money on a draft pick or some other scouting venture, I always get a response that says something to the effect that the money isn't that fluid.

I'm guessing if you add up the team's draftees' bonuses over the years, including the DFE signings when that process was still in place, the money would be very similar. And keep in mind, within a few years this team went from drafting 7th to 16th to 26th, so there is savings to be had there as well. I've contended for a long time that the team has never been cheap, although I admit being surprised that the team managed to get Davis, Hall, Howell and Gennett in the fold. Nicely done Brewers!

http://brewersbeat.mlblog...o_sign_scooter_genn.html

Davis is eight inches shorter than the 6-foot-5 Hall, a power right-hander. He threw a perfect game this season for T.L. Hanna High School in Anderson, S.C., in which he struck out 12 batters on 76 pitches and reportedly didn't throw a pitch below 90 mph. Hall also sports a quality slider.

---------------

I am extremely happy with the philosophy of taking the best player available throughout the entire draft and being able to sign the top 23 picks. I know that Hall is extremely talented and threw the perfect game this year, but one would have to assume if this statement is true from this blog than he threw a perfect game without throwing anything but a fastball.

I just realized that Brooks Hall was our only HS pitcher to sign this year. Coincidence, or change in philosophy?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I'd guess this Lawrie promotion is a move for the AFL?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

But I thought the Brewers had already designated Cain, Lucroy, and Green for the AFL. They're only allowed three position players, correct? Maybe one of those three is backing out, or is being held out for some reason.

Also, isn't Lawrie participating in the Baseball World Cup in September? That is before the AFL starts, just throwing that out there.

Even if the World Cup weren't a factor, I think asking Lawrie to go to the AFL would be asking too much of him this year. This was his first full year and it seemed like the grind got to him for a while, but also that he's figured out how to stay sharp over the long haul. At this point, congratulate him on a fine year and give him a well deserved break.

I'd guess this Lawrie promotion is a move for the AFL?

The deadline to be in AA for the AFL (without using an exemtion) was July 31st in the past.

Definately a suprising promotion, but so was Braun's promotion to AA in 2006. The Brewers were right with that one, hopefully there right here too.

I has said earlier in the year that I thought Lawrie would finish the year in AA, but I thought that would happen after 900ish OPS at Wisconsin, which didn't happen.

Edit: I'm guessing Lawrie's promotion will be followed by a Shane Justis promotion to Nashville?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Baseball America indicates that the Brewers have signed undrafted CF Robbie Garvey out of the College of Southern Nevada, a two-year school. It appears he had been committed to UNLV for the '09 season, but must have remained at CSN. Garvey is a LH bat -- 5'10", 170.

Click on his name on this roster page for a photo and brief bio.

He's a speedster, as you'll find his name among hits, triples, and stolen base leaders here.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

To make room for Brett Lawrie, Huntsville assigns last night's starting pitcher, RHP Brandon Kintzler, to the Helena roster in a paper move.

Why does MiLB have roster limits if they're just going to look the other way at these blatant paper moves to bypass the limits?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
That bump for Lawrie seems odd on the surface but the Brewers definitely have a track record of either pushing guys they really like even if the stats don't seem to justify it (Braun) or giving a prospect a taste of better competition towards the end of a season (Gallardo).
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Little surprised by the move but like what Homer said we have seen this happen a number of times in the past. They did it late last season with Jeffress who wasn't pitching lights out at the time. I think its good for him to hit the better competition in AA and his bat may be ready but his defense is still a ways away. Then again, since when do they Brewers care about the defense when they have a guy who can hit. Fielder, Braun, Weeks, and Gamel were all guys who were considered to have sub par defense when they were called up.

Archived