Brewer Fanatic

Minor League Transactions -- Potential FA's Henderson, Arlis Return; 12 released

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

While Angel Salome has not been placed on the DL, the Sounds had to activate third catcher Patrick Arlis to back up Carlos Corporan, who has caught a lot lately while Salome sits idle.

Arlis was activated from his paper stay on the Helena roster, which is where the Sounds placed LHP Sam Narron to make room.

We are efforting to learn what Salome's current situation is.

I don't know how this could be considered anything but a bad year for Salome. He's an offense 1st catcher with a pedestrian 730 OPS, and I doubt anyone wants a catcher made of glass. Injuries to minor league position players really has killed the Brewers ability to deal this year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Del Howell signs with Brewers

By Tommy Deas, Tuscaloosa (AL) News Executive Sports Editor

TUSCALOOSA | Just about the time Del Howell had made up his mind that he would be returning to the University of Alabama for his senior baseball season, the Milwaukee Brewers made the left-handed pitcher an offer he couldn't refuse.

The former prep state Mr. Baseball and American Christian Academy star signed Saturday night with the Brewers, who chose him in the 15th round of June's amateur draft.

As late as the middle of last week, Howell was 90 percent sure he would be returning to UA, but a final round of talks with the major league club resulted in a deal that is sending him into the professional ranks. It all changed with a phone call last Wednesday night.

"They met what I had asked for," Howell said. "I always dreamed of signing a professional contract. I'm excited, ready to go.

"It's a good opportunity for me to get started."

The 6-foot-3, 21-year-old pitcher was the 466th overall pick of the draft. A source familiar with the situation said Howell was contacted by Milwaukee officials in the earlier rounds of the draft with a six-figure offer.

Howell will not comment on the specifics of his signing bonus or contract.

After taking a physical in Milwaukee on Tuesday or Wednesday, Howell will report to the Arizona Brewers, the team's Rookie League affiliate in Phoenix.

This is fantastic news, I wonder if not taking on any extra salary at the deadline made it easier to give Howell what he wanted.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I can understand why Prince was moved up but - "How long before Prince jumps past Brewer?"

I have never seen Brewer play but Prince has a lot of holes in his defensive game. He often does not move to the ball and stabs at it or lays back and waits for it to come to him. He also has a sidearm throw that while powerful is not accurate. I have already commented on his base running. He needs a lot of work.

I don't think the pitching staff is going to miss him defensively, Brownstein is better as was Marseco last year.

Fires definitely deserved the promotion, he was lights out. Closer makeup, throws hard, good command.

I could see Prince being tried at second too and being the next Hurricane. He bats well enough and has great speed and if he can be average in the field he would make a perfect bench player.

What? He was drafted this year and you are already hoping that he would be a bench player? Speed kills...and he has a ton of it. If he is even average in the field and carries a decent obp I would hope he can make it as a starter.

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I could see Prince being tried at second too and being the next Hurricane. He bats well enough and has great speed and if he can be average in the field he would make a perfect bench player.

The guy takes walks, hits for good average, has crazy speed, said to have some pop in his bat, in college was a plus defender with good range( so still has plenty of potential @ shortstop) and is like 21 and you already think he only can be a bench player... that's a little questionable. He def has starting potential

Brownstein is better as was Marseco last year.

Marseco better be the best defensive shortstop this side of Ozzie Smith, otherwise his .498 OPS in low-A, even for an 11th round pick, makes him one of the worst draft picks in the first 20 rounds in recent history.

The guy takes walks, hits for good average, has crazy speed, said to have some pop in his bat, in college was a plus defender with good range( so still has plenty of potential @ shortstop) and is like 21 and you already think he only can be a bench player... that's a little questionable. He def has starting potential

Jeez, are you guys family? I should have clarified, I see him being at worst a really good bench player. I was going to write it, but was worried about being shot down, that if he was moved to 2nd, I could see him passing up Lawire due to his lead off capabilities.

ha sorry bout that but yeah I see what your saying now. I could def see him passing both Brett at second base if he was ever moved over there because like you said the leadoff reason plus who really knows if Lawrie will stick at second or move to the outfield.

LouisEly,

regarding Marseco, what do you suggest, he gets released?

The kid is coming off an injury, major facial surgery after getting hit in the face with a ball last year.

In listening to the pre-game interview with Wendt and Gonzales yesterday, Gonzales felt that the Brewers 2nd half slide coincided with Marsecos' injury. He is excited to have him back and hopes to get him back on track.

He hit .311 with a .775 ops while at Helena. His slg% and rbi totals were also higher than Princes in about the same # of games. Fewer strikeouts and errors as well. I still stand by my comment that he is better defensively than Prince. He gets good position, turns the double play well and has a strong arm with a quick release. I certainly wouldn't consider him a "bust" or "one of the worst draft picks in the first 20 rounds in recent history."

That being said I do think Prince has more upside and hope he gets some good coaching at Wisc.

Marseco better be the best defensive shortstop this side of Ozzie Smith, otherwise his .498 OPS in low-A, even for an 11th round pick, makes him one of the worst draft picks in the first 20 rounds in recent history.
Josh Murray says hi.

what about hiram burgos? i was excited about him when we drafted him. he was a 6th round draft pick, with a 9.91 era in advanced rookie ball.

on a side note, anybody know why khris davis hasnt been playing in helena? he's only played one game, wondering if anybody had any ideas.

Archived