Brewer Fanatic

Going to KC/Lawrence KS, any tips?

berniebrewer4life

Going to Visit the fiance's family in Lawrence, and we plan on spending a bit of time in KC itself. We'll be there for 5 days, and i was wondering what i "need" to see, as it will be my first real trip there. So far, here is the plan:

See a royals game.

Go to Arthur Bryants.

I have heard chapel's sports bar is really cool, so i might check that out too. Any help would be great, as i am leaving tomarrow.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I used to go there for work relatively often and always enjoyed it.

I like Gates as much as Bryant's but I know that's a minority opinion. I''m sure someone more familiar will speak up.

The Atkins Museum there is great if you're into art, and the Negro League Museum is fantastic--it's a shame that he passed, Buck O'Neill was often there and willing to chat.

We also liked the bbq and selection at Jack Stack. We bought both their rub and sauce (which were very inexpensive) to bring home and have loved them both.

If you have kids, the Hallmark visitor's center has a place called Kaleidoscope that was really cool, even for the adults. You get a full hour in there and they have tons of arts and crafts and you get to take it all home with you. We really had a blast in there with my 8-year old niece.

Douglas County Pie. Lawrence KS I don't remember where exactly it is. It's at a breakfast/cafe type of place in Lawrence on the East-West commercial road south-east of the KU campus. The pie is to die for, and I'm not one to talk like I walked of the set of Friends. The pie alone was a reason for a return trip to Lawrence. It's Pecan chocolate chip pie. And they have New Mexico-style breakfasts. It's worth going, it's just I don't remember what the place is called. Visa and cash. I'm sure the place still exists. I can give you ideas about Kansas City, if you're interested as well. Let me know. I have a friend who considers that place home. KC has the second most fountains in the world behind Paris, apparently. But not the second most bubblers.

If you're a 20th-century U.S. history buff (and it's OK if you aren't), and have the time to get over to Independence, the Harry S Truman National Historic Site is pretty neat to visit. It's the house where President and Mrs. Truman spent their married lives and retirement, and it has been left in the same condition it was in when Mrs. Truman died in 1982. The President's coat is literally hanging by the back door.

Not everyone would find that cool, but I was taken by it. It reminded me very much of my grandparents' house, and I marveled at how relatively humbly a president lived.

Disclaimer: if you're not going until August, never mind, as the house will be closed for renovation starting August 3.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I actually just left there this morning the first thing I can tell you is that the State Patrol likes to sit on the on ramps as I found out the hard way. The renovation to Kaufmann Stadium is very nice and the tickets were pretty affordable. I have two kids so we stopped at the KC Zoo which is very affordable if you have a family and is actually pretty large.

Also, if you are into nineteenth century history Lawrence, KS was a major battleground during the Bleeding Kansas conflict of the 1850s-Civil War era. Not sure what's left today, but the town was burnt down once by pro-slavery Missourians who were upset with the abolitionist views of many of the residents.

Archived