Brewer Fanatic

Pirates and Nationals making a trade (Morgan/Milledge)

Invader3K

As reported on MLB Trade Rumors, it looks to be pretty much a done deal that the Pirates are trading Nyjer Morgan and Sean Burnett to the Nationals in exchange for Lastings Milledge and Joel Hanrahan.

Kind of an interesting move, though the Nationals seemed pretty set on getting rid of Milledge.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Milledge just doesn't seem to be a favorite inside MLB clubhouses.
When you're demoted to AAA because you out-turd Elijah Duke, I would say that's an understatement. I wouldn't get anywhere near Milledge if I was a team like the Pirates. I guess that's what makes them the Pirates.

So does the Nyjer Morgan acquisition make Cristian Guzman available to lead off and play 2B for the Brewers (assuming the Nats have someone to play SS (Gonzalez?)?

Why would it? Morgan is an outfielder.

"Nyjer, you're being traded from the Pirates."

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/51/518431.jpg

"Yes! Where am I going?!?"

"The Washington Nationals."

http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/2008morgan-nyjer_160x210.jpg

"..."

Why would it? Morgan is an outfielder.

Wishful thinking of course. Guess I haven't really been paying enough attention to Nationals baseball to see that Guzman isn't really leading off for them lately. My thinking was that Morgan fills the lead off spot, they give the SS job to Gonzalez, clear an $18M contract, get younger, and pick up some building blocks. This is Transaction board stuff, but I think this makes some sense for the Brewers because it fills the lead off need, make Hardy expendable/tradable, and provides plenty of flexibility for next year at SS and 2B depending on what happens with Weeks, Hardy, Escobar, etc.

Then again, maybe it would be easier just to go get Freddy Sanchez before the Pirates give him to Jim Hendry for Jake Fox

So we've discussed the A's, Twins and Marlins methods of building a team. Now we have the Pirates... trade anyone on your team who has even a remote chance of becoming a good player. Overpay fan-favorites who aren't that good to long-term contracts that will disallow you from signing meaningful players that could help your team. Develop pitchers that have talent but can't put it together until they leave your team.

I can't tell you how thankful I am that we have a new owner/management that builds according to the former methods rather than the latter.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

That's funny, Morgan is my fifth outfielder on MLB 2K9 (Fantasy Draft) behind Braun, Kemp, Carlos Quintin, and Fred Lewis.

Of course I haven't gotten to play for quite a while.. I'm actually probably done until next year's edition.

So, does anyone else get the feeling that Milledge will be the newest brewer killer?

Seems like a solid deal for the Bucs. Even without being at his upside, Milledge has to be at least as valuable as Morgan. And if Milledge reaches or hits said upside, the Nationals will probably look silly for making this trade.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

"So, does anyone else get the feeling that Milledge will be the newest brewer killer? "

Do the Pirates have anyone that could be called a Brewer killer? Wouldn't they need to win a game to have a Brewer killer?

Milledge really isn't doing much in AAA this year and given his attitude problems I wouldn't want to put a whole lot of faith in anything changing. He just seems like one of those guys who supposedly has all the tools and can never put it together- - possibly because he can't just get by on pure athletic talent alone anymore and needs to work a little harder which seems to go back to his attitude again.

With McCutchen on the Pirates in CF, Morgan's bat just doesn't support playiing in a corner spot, relegating him to the bench or being a pretty weak corner guy so not a huge risk giving him up if they can somehow get through to Milledge to work hard, run hard, and realize he isn't a superstar yet.

If you guys remember, Milledge was suposted to go #1 in the Young - Weeks draft before some off the field problems. He was looked at as the #1 pick for quite a while before the draft, and when the previous season ended and we knew we would have the second pick, at the time everyone had him going #1. He ended up slipping to #10 I believe, but the talent was always there in my mind.

I was watching MLB network last night and both Mitch Williams and Joe Magrane were very surprised by this trade from the Pirates end. They made very solid points about how Morgan was a sparkplug for the team and a good clubhouse guy, and having Milledge really doesn't better the Pirates. They also had some quotes from Nosferatu (Jack Wilson, without a hat he REALLY does!) and interviewed Freddy Sanchez. Both guys seemed very surprised and unhappy about the trade.

I think it's a great move for the Pirates. Just keep getting talented young players, Morgan's alright, but he's at his ceiling, if Milledge reaches his upside, it's a clear win for the Pirates.

It smacks of a franchise desperate to get talent into its organization. This guy comes off to me as a hopeless turn. It reminds me when the Brewers got Marc Newfield. The Pirates will keep hoping and Lastings will keep disappointing.

Archived