Brewer Fanatic

'unemployed'

cooprules

Add me to the current list of unemployed brewerfan members. Got laid off yesterday...http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

If anyone has connections for digital prepress, image manipulation, graphic art production, or color correction work, let me know.

Thanks.

Where are you located Cooprules? I did prepress for 10 years before my dad finally talked me into helping him at his shop. But I still am in contact with a lot of my old employers in the Fox Valley. I'll let you know if anything comes up.

Sorry I forgot to mention where I was. I'm about 30 minutes east of Madison, 1 hour west of Milwaukee. I've always worked in the Madison area. Not really sure how far I'd go for work right now. Depends on how long I'm unemployed I guess.

I am realizing after just 1 week of not working I need to keep working on my skills. Unfortunately I do not have a Mac at home. Does anyone know of places in the Madison area that have access to Macs with the Adobe Creative Suite software on them. My local library does not.
Thanks for any help.

Also...how do I go about getting a certain domain name for a website? I was going to create one for a resume.

I am (was) in school for Printing in the Fox Valley Area, I will try and email a couple of the teachers and see if they have any contacts down near Madison. They have contacts all over so I'll see if they know of anything in the area. It'll take a few days but if they know of anything I will PM you.

Thank you so much NRT. Trying to network as much as possible. Couple places I know are busy in the Madison area but they're not hiring. I was just about to look into a new Mac with all the bells and whistles...then I got laid off. There's a Techskills in Madison I'm going to call tomorrow.

Anyone ever had or know someone who took courses thru "Techskills, LLC"? They offer various IT programs and certification exams.

I received my MCSD through Techskills eight years ago. The tutoring was minimal, so it was mostly self-taught. But they gave me the tools I needed and I passed my four exams the first time.

They'll probably make minimal effort to place you somewhere, however. Also, be leary if they try to get you to sign up for any loans.

Finally, someone from the real world who knows about the place. I have a bunch of ???s.

Did it help you get a job somewhere?

Were you considered a novice before the training? I've been a Mac user daily for 15 years so this would be a switch.

The vocational program they want to put me in has an "externship" where I'd be placed with a local business for 8 weeks. While this wouldn't necessarily get me in the door at that company I feel it would be good experience.

Money wise I'm hoping my job center will at least help pay for some. I'd go elsewhere for any other loan.

I just am not thrilled about going to a regular tech school like MATC, even though it would be a cheaper option.

I'm also interested about what your starting pay was coming out and what IT specialty you're in. Pleas PM if you can, Jimbo.

Thanks so much.

Archived