Brewer Fanatic

New Power 50, 6/30/09 - up now!

And That

The post draft P50 usually has some movement, but wow were there a lot of big movers both ways.

My only nitpick is that Dennis would have been in the 20s, probably in front of Brewer.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Hmmm... Arnett ranked about 6 spots too high (for now, until he proves himself), Wooten about 15 spots too low - Chris Smith and Mark DiFelice are proving that if you throw strikes and have good command you don't have to throw 95mph to be a successful reliever. Wilson and Mercedes belong above Zarraga and Farris. I'd need to see more than 6 SBs in a game and a 5-5 performance before I'd get that excited about Garfield and Prince. Just my $0.02. Other than that, looks good.

Garfield is showing his bat is pretty good, even if it is a small sample size on him. The concerns on him where his bat as he is supposed to play really good defense, so his showing with his bat has helped his prospect status even if in a short time.

All I know is that he is raking at AAA this year... I guess the recent success of McGehee has me curious about what Adam Heether can bring to the big league club... IMO he is far more interesting then the likes of Dillard, Swindle, Wright... Just wanted to give Adam a plug since he is often overlooked!

There was an Adam Heether mention in the Power 50. He's ineligible due to age. If the age constraint weren't there, he'd be somewhere in the low 20's, I imagine.

Thanks for the info! The list is great! I wasn't aware of the age cutoff!

The idea of what constitutes a prospect is an interesting philosophical discussion. I mean, was Mark DiFelice a prospect last year? Is it more important that he was 31, or that he'd never played in MLB before? I think basically we're looking to expose guys with a chance to contribute significantly to the Brewers who haven't played in MLB before (that's what makes Todd Coffey different from Mark DiFelice), regardless of age.

I think the age cutoff is a bit unnecessary. Age compared to level is a factor in assessing prospectdom, generally moving players down the list as the get older. Excluding outright is a bit of over-redundancy. At the time when the system was barren of any types of prospects, it made total sense, but for where they're at now I would just let it play itself out.

One thing that strikes me about this list/system is how DEEP it is. Good lord, Lintz near the bottom and Adams off completely. True, they have not performed to date, but 2nd round picks from a year prior not being Top 40 prospects really speaks to the quality of players currently playing in the Brewers system.

Exciting.

Great job, guys. My big question is whether Macha will give Gamel 42 ABs before the next Power 50 is compiled, but that's probably for another thread. I'm not one who pays attention to amatuer players, so I have to go on your knowledge of the draftees. I sure hope Arnett lives up to the expectations everyone has for him.

Good comments on Cody, Dillard and Green. The Brewers could use one of their AAA guys stepping up and helping the MLB team. I'd really like to see one of these three get hot and push McClung back into the 'pen.

One thing that strikes me about this list/system is how DEEP it is.

Agreed. A long time ago, Melvin said he wanted to use the Twins' model to build the team. It appears he's succeeded. We have a largely home grown team on the field in Milwaukee with plenty of talent coming up through the system. Plus, the draft picks we're likely to get for Hoffman and Cameron should allow us to have another deep draft next season, helping assure that the next ten years will be more successful for Milwaukee than the previous ten years.

I appreciate all of the hard work everyone here does, as it helps me "see the future" as to what the Brewers will look like over the next few years.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The age limit on the Power 50 is an interesting discussion. While I'm not opposed to seeing it eliminated, I'm not on board for removing it yet. The Heether Rule should be more like the Heether Exception. I'm a big fan of Heether's and have been a proponent of his since I knew him in Beloit. Great guy and definitely an asset to any team. The Power 50 is great because we get a deep look at what is coming to Milwaukee. It also helps those that are not familiar with the minors to get a quick look.

Once again the debate of how to rate a prospect comes up. Is it age, ceiling, production, age in relation to league, or what percentage of each? I use a combination in my evaluation and ceiling is a strong factor. Heether is pretty much leveled out and that is fine. The Brewers need people like him, versatile and not a liability at the plate. Strong role players are key to a successful team. If you have an A ball pitcher with number 2 or 3 starter ability that is more valuable to me and thus a better prospect.

I'm glad that we have someone like Heether breaking out in AAA and forcing this discussion to take place. Like Toby mentioned, just a few years ago we were debating far too many AAAA players.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Perhaps an age limit for guys who are already in the big leagues or guys who have major league experience (keep at 26), but a higher age limit or no age limit if they are in the minors and have not played in the majors (28? 30?).

I guess there's no reason to have a hard limit on age. Age is a big enough factor that already gets baked into the equation.
I agree with this. I think guys do get dropped because of their age so why not keep them in and leave it to the Power 50 guys to determine how much age effects someone

Archived