Brewer Fanatic

Gamel situation

I don't know why the assumption would be that Narveson would be DFAed. He's one of the few lefty relievers on the 40 man. I think it's more likely that Smith gets sent down.

I might be wrong on this, but isn't the 40-man full? If you simply send down Smith (or Gamel), you'll have to remove someone from the 40-man in order to call up Heether. My guess it'd be Joe Koshansky like someone else mentioned. I do get the feeling though that the Brewers won't call up Heether though.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there not going to start Gamel every day at 3B with McGehee every day at 2B, then Gamel should go down. Heether is the perfect call-up. McGehee can then play 3B fulltime instead of shuffling between positions, and Heether can platoon with Counsel.

The 40 man roster is a non-issue, as theres plenty of riff-raf to caste off, including Narveson, Koshansky, and Nick Green. I could care less if Narveson is a lefty, that would only be useful if he could get people out. We have RHRP that can get lefties out better than Narveson.

Another thing that should be explored is dealing Hall for a player with a similar contract who also desperately needs a change of scenary, like Nate Robertson. The Hall situation has died.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

You do realize that with absolutely nothing to play for Yost benched Hardy during his rookie season right?

He did so because he felt Hardy needed to be for one reason or another. Yost showed his willingness to play young players enough that taking one example where he didn't as a way to show he wouldn't have done a better job with Gamel is a reach to say the least. Macha is hands down better than Yost in the game strategy department but Yost was hands down better at handling the bench and helping young players develop. It is one's personal opinion which is more important. Mine is game strategy pales in comparison to maintaining a viable, ready to play, bench and player development. Though I admit to thinking player development should not be part of a major league manager's job on a playoff caliber team. But that is a whole other story.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

There's two roster moves that could happen this week. One is that Gamel could be sent down, and the most likely options to replace are Irribarren and Heether. The other is that Parra could be brought up to start sometime this week, which means that someone has to go down. Narveson doesn't look like much, but the Brewers clearly wanted a 2nd lefty and preferred Narveson vs Swindle. Their opinion may have changed, but I try to include what I think the Brewers opinons are when guessing future moves.

No way Smith goes down - don't let the recency of the grand slam overshadow the body of work

Sometimes fairness doesn't come into play when making roster moves. I don't know if Smith deserves to go down, but he is one of the easiest to be sent back down.

I don't think Parra is coming back up until he gets his walks down some. His last start was pretty good walk wise but the one prior to that was down right terrible. I think we'll see Villy or Dillard get a shot before we see Parra.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Macha is hands down better than Yost in the game strategy department but Yost was hands down better at handling the bench and helping young players develop.

I would agree if you cut it to Macha being hands down better handling a pitching staff. His pinch hitting decisions are maybe a slight improvement and his constant use of the sack bunt with the pitchers is annoying.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

but Yost was hands down better at...helping young players develop...Though I admit to thinking player development should not be part of a major league manager's job on a playoff caliber team.

Doesn't that mean that it was time to move on and this is why Macha is a better manager for the team that we have now?

Currently, I care far less about the development of the precious Gamel than about the team doing whatever gives them the best chance to win (without giving away the future). If Gamel is the best choice to fill that spot on the roster then he should stay in the majors. If playing McGehee nearly every day at third base and Counsell at 2nd currently appears to give them the best chance to win, then that is what should be done.

If they fall apart, there will likely be plenty of time to give lots of starts to Gamel. There are also fall and winter leagues that he can be sent to, I assume.

Currently, I care far less about the development of the precious Gamel than about the team doing whatever gives them the best chance to win (without giving away the future). If Gamel is the best choice to fill that spot on the roster then he should stay in the majors. If playing McGehee nearly every day at third base and Counsell at 2nd currently appears to give them the best chance to win, then that is what should be done.

If Gamel isn't going to get a lot of playing time, we are better off using a slightly worse player on the roster since what he is doing isn't likely to have much impact either way.

Look at it this way. Gamel has been exactly replacement level as a hitter so far. He seems to hit much better as a starter much like most players do. Unless he is going to start much of the time, I think it is safe to assume that he is going to be a replacement level hitter all year. If that is true, we lose maybe half a win at the very most by bringing up a guy to get 250 PA for the rest of the year even is that guy hits at what would be equal to a half win below replacement level for the rest of the year. If things stay as they are, I doubt that guy would be hard pressed to reach 150 PA. I am purposely ignoring defense because I think the guy replacing Gamel will probably bring equal or better defense. The impact this year of a worse player would be minimal given Gamel's current role. That isn't even taking into account the impact of Gamel in his prime(sending him down to gain a year of service time) vs a rookie or FA pickup which I think is huge given Gamel's ability.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think you guys are overlooking Bourgeois as a replacement for Gamel.

He is in the same situation as Heether, not being on the 40 man. If Macha isn't going to find time for Gamel, he's not likely to find time for someone else from the minors. And if a player isn't going to contribute, it doesn't make sense to add him to the 40 man.

As it stands, the Brewers are going to be facing 3 RHP in the Cardinals series and it doesn't look like a move has been made, so maybe Gamel will get a start or two (one can only hope) and do something to catch Macha's eye and show that he deserves to stay up. Of course, if it is true that he would earn exactly one year of ST by season's end, I hope that he gets sent down before the ASB so that he doesn't miss 3 full series and he can play every day in the minors.

I just wanted to stop in this thread again and say I have changed my opinion on Gamel's playing time. At first, I thought he played enough, I did the math and he was getting about 2/3rds of regular playing time even with facing a number of LH pitchers. Lately, meaning the last 10 days or so, he is just sitting even vs. RH's in favor of Counsell playing 2B with McGehee at third. McGehee has been amazing thus far, but Counsell will wear down and is starting to see the numbers drift back down. If Gamel is going to buried as a 2nd LH PH option on the bench I would rather he play everyday in AAA.

I would like to see Gamel play every game against the Cards. He found some success against them at Busch, and maybe the Brewers can develop a redbird killer here. Counsell with 2 days off, and McGehee one day off. Although, Gamel did go 0-7 w/ 3 Ks against them at Miller back in May. Its time to show up or go back.

I keep expecting to come to this thread and see that Gamel was sent down. With McGehee & Counsell playing so well Gamel has virtually no role on this team and it makes no sense to be wasting his service time on 2-3 AB's a series. Gamel also does not strike me as a guy who would be good at fitting a pinch hitter role either, he needs his reps.

With McGehee & Counsell playing so well Gamel has virtually no role on this team
Since June 1st Counsell has a .244 BA and an OBP of .325. He has come back down to reality awhile ago.

With his age and limitations(Counsell) how can we possibly have expected Counsell to stay that productive all year? We're going to ride him into the ground when we could be giving him more days off for McGehee/Gamel. This is starting to really get under my skin the more I think about it.

Macha did just that a couple sundays ago when we got shut out by the SF rookie. I thought it was a sweet looking line up. I just don't know why we're wasting his service time and seemingly hindering his development up here by not letting him play every day somewhere else. it's kind of ridiculous when Bill Hall is getting more ABs than your #1 prospect.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Archived