Brewer Fanatic

DeRosa to Cardinals for Chris Perez and PTBNL- Latest: PTBNL is AAA Closer Jess Todd

wOOgiE22
Seems to me I've read that Glaus won't be throwing well enough to play 3b for quite a while. It was even suggested that he might be traded to the AL to be a 1b/dh since presumably he will hit well enough to help a team...StL of course doesn't have much need at either position.
Most recent I could find on Glaus was from the Disabled List Informer (6/25/09):

Troy Glaus is progressing slowly as he recovers from shoulder surgery, but he is now taking batting practice and was recently cleared to resume a throwing program. Unless he is used as a bench/pinch hitting option, there seems to be no way he will be back soon for the Cardinals because he can only play third base. The Cardinals have shown interest recently in acquiring Adrian Beltre and Mark DeRosa - both third baseman - so this basically means that although they are hopeful that Glaus can return, they're not really sure he will be ready by the trade deadline.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most hilarious thing is that both McGehee and Derosa were Cubs last year.

http://images.yuku.com/image/gif/4bd15994833519c190381b639410cf6310ba54f.gif

Good move for the Cards. The obvious move is another starter, which at this point in the season they will have to overpay, but the one thing that the Brewers need as far as bats is a good OBP guy to hit leadoff, but I don't know what position that would entail upgrading. The top OBP guys not named Braun or Fielder are McGehee and Counsell; they seem to want to bat McGehee 5th now and Counsell can't be an everyday player.

According to fangraphs.com, DeRosa is +4.9 runs above average on offense after park and position adjustments and he is -3.1 runs below average on defense. He is 1.1 Wins above replacement, and I believe that is over a full season so the Cards gain a half of a win from this trade. Although it is a minor help for the Cards, don't count on it winning the division for them. The Cubs and Brewers are still the favorites in the NL Central in my opinion after 162 games.

According to Gord (through Tom H), the Brewers had interest in DeRosa, but the Brewers didn't have what the Indians wanted in return:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/49386227.html

Sure doesn't make Cliff Lee seem like a viable trade for the Brewers, then either.

It's ominous, but I'm guessing the Crew would be willing to give up more for Lee than for DeRosa. Perhaps we just didn't go grand enough to det DeRosa.

EDIT: Now that I've actually read the article, your take seems pretty valid.

According to fangraphs.com, DeRosa is +4.9 runs above average on offense after park and position adjustments and he is -3.1 runs below average on defense. He is 1.1 Wins above replacement, and I believe that is over a full season so the Cards gain a half of a win from this trade. Although it is a minor help for the Cards, don't count on it winning the division for them. The Cubs and Brewers are still the favorites in the NL Central in my opinion after 162 games.

Although, assuming that he's more or less going to be the Cardinals starting third baseman, keep in mind that he's replacing a woefully inept platoon previously at that position. Thurston, Barden, K. Green, Freese, and T. Greene with their respective WARs of 0.5, 0.3, -0.4, -0.1, and 0.1 make the upgrade to DeRosa slightly better still. Nothing earth shattering, but better nonetheless.

How much does it help to trade and average performing reliever on an average performing bullpen for an average performing everyday player? I really don't know. I see trading from a position of strength to shore up a weakness but I just didn't see their pen as so strong it can lose a player in it without noticing a decline there.

I guess since they haven't had to use their pen as much as most teams they felt they can get by without one player in it. If their rotation doesn't continue to give them deep starts or they lose a guy in it or the pen this could hurt them as much as it helps. I'd rather win 2-3 than lose 6-7. They did need help offensively. Just not sure if this is big enough a boost for them to compensate weakening the strength which has been pitching.

If all remains the same this is going to help them. If there are a few injuries in on the pitching side it could hurt them. It's not as certain to boost the team through the season as it would have if they traded minor league talent for him. Short term good move by the Cards. Long term, season wise, it may or may not be good depending on health and the current pitching staying as strong as it has been so far. Over the next couple years maybe not so good.

In any event I'm more worried about what the Brewers do to straighten their own house than what the Cards do with theirs. We had the better team going in and still think ours is the better so I don't think we need to make a move to keep pace. We should make a move simply to improve our chances of wining the division and beyond not because the Cards made a move that will make them marginally better.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

From what I have read, Perez has been pretty wild and LaRussa has been reluctant to use him in any higher leverage situations lately. He was supposed to be the closer at one point this year but lost that job. Long run he may find his control but the Cards needed a RH bat moresoe than an erratic hard throwing RH pitcher in the pen.

So far I have been able to find 3 names mentioned as being on the list for the Indians to choose from, all three were listed on a Cardinals board with 2 of those appearing in an acticle on Foxsports.com citing informed sources.

John Jay - - only mentioned on message board

Francisco Samuel mentioned both places

Jess Todd mentioned both places

I

From what I have read, Perez has been pretty wild and LaRussa has been reluctant to use him in any higher leverage situations lately. He was supposed to be the closer at one point this year but lost that job. Long run he may find his control but the Cards needed a RH bat moresoe than an erratic hard throwing RH pitcher in the pen.

Thanks MJ I really didn't know much about him. Just saw his numbers and seemed to be pretty average bu tit was pretty hard to judge in 20 something innings. A little high in the walks department but young and a hard thrower. I guess it makes more sense to me now from the Cards perspective.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Well I don't want to pretend to know too much about Perez but it just seemed that the Cards fans I know and have read weren't too upset to see him go, especially for an everyday RH player. I dont' know much about those other prospects except the brief stat lines. The two pitchers appear to be relievers in AAA. The OF was only mentioned in a message board posting and has pretty pedestrian numbers at AA but had some success at the lower levels. Looks like the Indians are trying to address the woeful bullpen we all saw in the Brewers series.

For whatever it's worth, Perez and Todd (the rumor I heard somewhere) were the #3 and 4 prospects in the Cardinals system this offseason according to Baseball America. While Perez has had some issues, he's obviously still very young...the Tribe is in a position to let him work out the kinks at the major league level this year. The Cardinals don't have the same luxury of course....

Nothing I've read since that first night suggests that Wallace could be the PTBNL, incidentally, though Todd would be a nice consolation prize and also a significant addition. He's probably better than most of the Cleveland pen right now. The other two guys mentioned above are clearly less valuable IMO. Samuel is in AA but struggling a bit, another power arm, but with over 8 walks per nine in the minors...a project who could be a power closer or a total bust. Jon Jay is an OF who might be a fourth OF type...off the cuff the most comparable Brewers farmhand at this instant might be Cole Gillespie if he batted lefty and hit for a bit more average...though Jay is scuffling in the PCL this year after a big year in 08.

Thurston, Barden, K. Green, Freese, and T. Greene with their respective WARs of 0.5, 0.3, -0.4, -0.1, and 0.1 make the upgrade to DeRosa slightly better still.

Well, that's pretty much what a set of five guys near replacement level looks like I guess. Normally I'd say that a WAR of 1.1 isn't too great because most teams have someone at least a little bit better than replacement level on hand, so the upgrade would be minimal. For the Cardinals that's not so clear...this is one place they can get some real bang for their buck, even if DeRosa isn't the defender that he once was.

the Tribe is in a position to let him work out the kinks at the major league level this year

Not a good debut tonight as Perez gave up 4 ER in 2/3 IP.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

the Tribe is in a position to let him work out the kinks at the major league level this year

Not a good debut tonight as Perez gave up 4 ER in 2/3 IP.

And it was even uglier than that. He hit the first batter he faced, Alexei Ramirez, in the head, and then hit the very next batter, Jermaine Dye. He also forgot to cover first on a grounder and threw a wild pitch which plated a run.

DeRosa has a torn tendon sheath in his wrist. If I am not mistaken, same things Weeks is out for. Right now the Cards are not saying how long he will be out.

DeRosa Suffering Torn Tendon Sheath

[Note: in the process of going in to make the link clickable, I noticed that it was one of those that would disappear quickly; I replace it with the link to the whole story --1992]

• 3 weeks later...
I don't think Rickie's the guy to go for on healing your wrist completely.

[nitpicking]Rickie's first tendon sheath tear was in the opposite wrist from this most recent one, and he actually did get fully back from the first sheath tear injury.[/nitpicking]

... and no, I don't remember whether he first had the injury in his right or left wrist http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

For whatever it's worth, Perez and Todd (the rumor I heard somewhere) were the #3 and 4 prospects in the Cardinals system this offseason according to Baseball America.

So the Cardinals have now traded their #1, 3 & 4 prospects (and others) to win this year. I'd have to guess that they're planning on locking up Holliday long-term, but they could still be hurting in the future with a mid-market budget and no farm system. The Brewers are in fourth place right now, and it looks like they'll be without Bush until at least mid-August. I'm generally an optimistic person, but I think it may be time to see what kind of return we can get for Cameron, Hoffman, Counsell, Kendall and anyone else who's a FA at the end of the year. Cameron and Hoffman could be Type A FAs, so they should net at least 1st round talent in a trade. Trading Kendall for anything would allow Salome to come up and get his feet wet so he's more prepared for starting duty next year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived