Brewer Fanatic

DeRosa to Cardinals for Chris Perez and PTBNL- Latest: PTBNL is AAA Closer Jess Todd

wOOgiE22
DeRosa is a nice little player but he does have his warts as well. He is below average defensively on the IF and has been very erratic as a hitter vs RHP. He has also faded a bit in the second half in each of his fulltime seasons which may or may not just be statistical noise but I could see it having some merit since he was a part timer so long.
We already have DeRosa on the team and his name is McGehee.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My guess is that Schumaker stays at second, and DeRosa starts at third for them, replacing Joe Thurston/Brian Barden. They've been getting horrible production from third all year.
What about Troy Glaus?

I thought he was going to be able to return from his shoulder surgery this season. DeRosa isn't much better than Schumaker at second. And neither of them are anything special as a corner outfielder. So the only upgrade I see it at 3B - which I assumed was going to be Glaus later this season.

Glaus = DeRosa = Schumaker

If Glaus is able to contribute this year, I just don't see a big upgrade.

Seems to me I've read that Glaus won't be throwing well enough to play 3b for quite a while. It was even suggested that he might be traded to the AL to be a 1b/dh since presumably he will hit well enough to help a team...StL of course doesn't have much need at either position.

If the PTBNL is indeed Wallace, the Tribe pulled off a nice little deal...it was only six months ago that they got DeRosa for Archer, Gaub and Stevens. I wondered if it were him, but rejected the idea. But I hadn't thought of the draft choice(s)...

Evidently the Cardinals are going for it, big-time, this year with Pujols having what is so far a career year (which is saying something considering his career). I bet they make a strong push for Matt Holliday.

I don't want the Brewers to give up the farm to try to keep pace...

Community Moderator
There's no way Doc gets traded...and if he did, the Jays would expect 2 LaPorta-caliber players at least. He's the only pitcher in MLB who is undoubtedly better than CC Sabathia.

Yeah, I don't know why Halladay is even talked about as a possible trade candidate since it's not like the Blue Jays are at the bottom of the AL East right now, anyway.

On the face of it, it doesn't seem like the Cardinals gave up much to get DeRosa...but Perez actually projects as a future closer. We didn't have anyone like that we were going to give up to get him, and like others said, we don't really need a DeRosa right now anyway.

Doug will make a move if it makes sense when the time comes. We just have to be patient.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

DeRosa is a nice little player but he does have his warts as well. He is below average defensively on the IF and has been very erratic as a hitter vs RHP. He has also faded a bit in the second half in each of his fulltime seasons which may or may not just be statistical noise but I could see it having some merit since he was a part timer so long.
Nice try guys but I don't think this acquisition can be minimized. Cards filled a big hole here. They did give up bullpen depth though and that might haunt them later this year. Brewers need for DeRosa was certainly lessened by McGehee's performance. While the Brewers could use an extra bat, the critical need is in the rotation.

I sure hope McGehee is DeRosa. DeRosa is adequate in the OF. McGehee's bat has to play somewhere next year and RF looks to me to be the most logical spot.

What pitcher do we have that's the most 'Perez like'? Any clue on who the PTBNL is? I have to imagine it's a decent prospect...or I'll be sad.
Stetter is the closest fit given service time.

Post of the thread.

I really see McGehee taking that type of track as a player, if he continues the way he's hitting, and this isn't all a fluke.

Could be, McGehee has to prove it a bit more with the bat though. McGehee is probably a full win better than DeRosa defensively though so he doesn't have to hit as well as him to be as valuable as him. That isn't trying to 'minimize' it, it is just being realistic btw. You can't simply ignore defense when looking at players and it chips away at his value as long as they are playing him in the IF.

It isn't really about if the Brewers already have McGehee, the Brewers need starting pitching. The Cardinals already have a better starting staff, they needed offense, and RH hitting offense at that. Their LH heavy lineup has been killed by LH pitching this year according to some Cards fans I hang out with. I haven't looked it up but getting a RH bat makes sense for them. Schumaker is also mentioned as being a complete hack at second base, I haven't watched enough Cards games to form an opinion on his play however. LaRussa could easily just fit DeRosa in wherever depending on the opposing pitcher and who is going to play OF that day.

Is it doom for the Brewers? No, but it makes the Cards better and as I said in the trade rumors forum, there is no guarantee the Brewers players will heat up and all the guys on the Cubs and Cardinals will stay cold. I figured the Cards would make a deal for a hitter, there is a lot of noise in STL about not wasting Pujols' prime years and the team is right there in the division. And I remember the threads on here last year where some claimed Ludwick was as good as Braun.

I would be surprised if Wallace is the PTBNL, but I know they have a catcher who is supposedly highly thought of and given LaRussa's love affair with Molina there probably isn't a lot of room for him in STL.

What does the team really need if you are being realistic?

We are pretty much set at OF with 3 solid starters and 2 above replacement level backups.

We are pretty much set in the bullpen I'd have to say.

We aren't going to upgrade C for better or worse and we are set at SS and 1B.

That leaves SP, 2B, 3B.

Gamel, McGehee, Hall, Counsell give us enough options at 2B and 3B that it isn't a pressing need so I doubt we get a replacement unless someone gets hurt or maybe if we pick up a Durham type guy who is a FA.

That leaves SP as our one hole that could realistically be upgraded. We have Gallardo and a bunch of #4 type starters with maybe a healthy Bush being a #3 (regardless of what you think a #5 is much worse than guys like Suppan in reality).

So we need to trade for a real starting pitcher, not some chuckle head like Chuck James, Ian Snell, Jorge de la Rosa, Jon Garland etc who might end up being a downgrade over what we have. That is really the one glaring need on the team. That was the glaring need going into the season and it still is the need, a front line starter. I don't know if we are willing to pay the price for a player like that.

Good move for St Louis, but as others have said, the Brewers have options at 2B, the need for a pitcher is far greater.

I do think the Brewers will trade for an arm, I do not think that arm will be a #1 or #2 starter. There just doesn't seem to be that guy available right now. It might have been Brandon Webb, but he's out, it might have been Jake Peavy, but he's out, it might have been Erik Bedard, but he's out, and Seattle isn't even out of the race right now.

I just don't see that big guy out there to get at the moment.

Agree completely Ender. The asking price for any SP that is going to make a difference for this team is going to be high. There just aren't many of those guys available and there a number of teams that could use one. Now with Jeffress suspension the Brewers just lost a trade chip as well. The team may well be better off just taking their lumps this year and getting a better deal in the offseason rather than paying a lot for mediocrity that may still not be enough. Almost any trade for pitching is going to require or desire cheap pitching in return, something the Brewers just don't have available.

RF could be a spot, but I think that if the Brewers traded Fielder this off-season--I hate to even mention this possibility with the way he's played this year--they could keep McGehee at 3B and move Gamel over to 1B. I've always felt that Gamel would probably garner more defensive value at that corner of the infield than the one he is at right now. McGehee obviously won't keep up the pace he is on right now, but I think it'd be pretty reasonable to see him as a .280-.300 hitter with 15-20 HR pop over a full season. Many of the at bats he has had on his current tear have been legit in my opinion, not some fluke, lucky streak that all players experience every once in a while.

RF could be a spot, but I think that if the Brewers traded Fielder this off-season--I hate to even mention this possibility with the way he's played this year--they could keep McGehee at 3B and move Gamel over to 1B. I've always felt that Gamel would probably garner more defensive value at that corner of the infield than the one he is at right now. McGehee obviously won't keep up the pace he is on right now, but I think it'd be pretty reasonable to see him as a .280-.300 hitter with 15-20 HR pop over a full season. Many of the at bats he has had on his current tear have been legit in my opinion, not some fluke, lucky streak that all players experience every once in a while.
I'm actually hoping they go the Braun route with Gamel and turn him to an OF this offseason and have him in RF next season and try to trade Hart. If McGehee continues to hit this season with his defense I would be fine with him playing 3B next season as the starter.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I'm actually hoping they go the Braun route with Gamel and turn him to an OF this offseason and have him in RF next season and try to trade Hart. If McGehee continues to hit this season with his defense I would be fine with him playing 3B next season as the starter.

No way...Gamel hasn't done anything to be moved to the OF this year. Again, start him somewhere and we can talk about his stats. Having Casey next year he could be the super sub or replace Weeks. Having 15 - 20 HRs a year doesn't excite me. I also am going to wait a bit before I think Casey's numbers are all legit. I'm not saying he stinks, but I would his numbers will slow down a bit. Long-term I think he'd make a fine starting 2B.

To 'defend' my mention of Halladay, I guess I don't feel that the Blue Jays have the depth of talent to hang all season long with NYY & BOS. Further in my defense, this isn't just based on an ESPN force-feeding; I've actually watched quite a bit of all three teams play this season. Just my opinion though.

I really see McGehee taking that type of track as a player, if he continues the way he's hitting, and this isn't all a fluke.

I'm not sure what to make of McGehee in terms of sustainability. His BABIP is obscenely high right now (.378 on the season entering play on 6/28), but that's actually dropped almost 20 points over the last 3 weeks... a stretch in which Casey's OPS has been over 1.000! I think McGehee is a legit hitter, and you can just add him to the laundry list of moves Jim Hendry botched last offseason (technically it was still during the reg. season iirc).

For DeRosa, I think this is a nice addition for the Cardinals since he can play all over. Right now I don't think they should worry about where he will play. They have a spot for him now, and his versatility will allow LaRussa to get him in the lineup a lot the rest of the way.

Nice try guys...

What do you think you're 'calling' them on, Briggs? Doesn't make any sense.

McGehee's bat has to play somewhere next year and RF looks to me to be the most logical spot.

I think it will be interesting to see who gets dealt next offseason for pitching. At this point though, the most likely candidate is Hardy, not Hart.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived