Brewer Fanatic

DeRosa to Cardinals for Chris Perez and PTBNL- Latest: PTBNL is AAA Closer Jess Todd

wOOgiE22
So you took the idea that some people didn't think YOUR trade ideas would be able to go through and interpreted that as "There is nothing Melvin can do to help this team. His hands are tied." Kind of a large leap in logic.
I think I was pretty clear. I didn't present any specific trade ideas. I suggested Melvin didn't do enough to fill the void at pitching and was told there were no alternatives. Take a longer gander at the thread sir. The logic was taken at face value with no leap.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hasn't Schumaker been doing pretty well for them this year? Where does he go now? (I admit I haven't been paying a ton of attention to them) Regardless, can't say I'm happy about since it obviously provides them with more versatility.

Mase is right though that it'd be silly to counter-move for counter-move's sake. Obviously we have gaping problems, but wait for the right deal...if it comes.

The idea that teams aren't selling is bunk. EVERYONE has a price, it's just a matter of whether or not you are willing to pay that price. Doug needs to do something with the pitching staff, and do it soon, before there is no pennant race. I for one would also not mind seeing another good bat added to the lineup, you can never have enough IMO.

Mase is right though that it'd be silly to counter-move for counter-move's sake. Obviously we have gaping problems, but wait for the right deal...if it comes.
I guess it's not a glaring need nor a gaping problem. I agree that a counter move shouldn't be done for just a move's sake. I'd argue that a pre-emptive strike should have been done, either during the 2009 off-season or the past two weeks when stopgaps in Narveson and Chris were being purchased to Major League Contracts. This type of foresight apparently was not 20/20 however. I hope they do something soon, the hitters bailing out the pitching and scoring 7 runs a night should not last in theory.

Hasn't Schumaker been doing pretty well for them this year? Where does he go now? (I admit I haven't been paying a ton of attention to them) Regardless, can't say I'm happy about since it obviously provides them with more versatility.
Outfield maybe? Their outfield has put up some pretty poor numbers.

Edit: Although he probably isn't likely to be much better than anybody out there now. Looks to be a elow average defender in the OF as well.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I wouldn't mind the Brewers going and getting Doug Davis back. Aside from the fact that he puts me to sleep down here when he pitches, he has strung together a couple of really nice games lately, including today. His record sucks, but his ERA is very respectable and he gets little to no run support when he pitches. The Dbacks are probably going to have a fire sale due to the fact that they aren't very good so I wouldn't mind him as another lefty in the rotation with the statuses of Parra and Bush somewhat up in the air.

I agree Brewcrew. Some G.M.'s are just afraid to mortgage what could, might, aughta, there's a chance, hoping could be in 2013 for something today. Additionally some G.M.'s are so stubborn about their previous moves (See: Ted Thompson and "his guy Aaron Rodgers" & Doug Melvin and his guy "Bill Hall") It's their move and they want to prove their move is genius. That they can't just cut bait when it is time to cut bait as in the case of Bill Hall. They'd not only like to spend millions of dollars, they'd rather spend millions of dollars on a losing cause. Doug Melvin has a delicate and tough job, but sometimes, you just have to cajones and overpay once in a while. You going to hang onto JJ & Escobar until they both retire... or make a decision to help your team today?

If my first post actually made sense I am going to call it a career. A Carlos Corporan-like appearance on the message boards.
And you're funny, too. Welcome. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

DeRosa to STL is like the trillionth reason for me to dislike STL. I'll take some solace tonight in realizing cub nation is probably more upset yet.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I hope they do something soon, the hitters bailing out the pitching and scoring 7 runs a night should not last in theory.
Exactly when did it start? The hitting has been arguably as bad as the pitching this month

The team is at the top of the league in scoring runs, I'm not too worried about the offense. Guys like Chris Smith and Seth McClung making 15 starts now through September has me terrified. Words like micro-tear and Manna Parra's head case don't have me convinced they are going to be back anytime soon. If it were just one of them , fine, but when they come on the heels of a 3.2IP performance by Looper and Suppan and before you know it, that's how 4-6 game losing streaks are strung together.

So you took the idea that some people didn't think YOUR trade ideas would be able to go through and interpreted that as "There is nothing Melvin can do to help this team. His hands are tied." Kind of a large leap in logic.
I think I was pretty clear. I didn't present any specific trade ideas. I suggested Melvin didn't do enough to fill the void at pitching and was told there were no alternatives. Take a longer gander at the thread sir. The logic was taken at face value with no leap.
Your post said "I listed several free agent options, trade options, and was told none of them were feasible." Then your very next post you say, "I didn't present any specific trade ideas." You say I'm not looking at the thread close enough because I thought you did present trade ideas? I was using your exact words.

lcbj68c you were talking about moves made in the off season in the first place and a lot of your suggestions were simply not feasible (Burnett, Johnson etc) or just made no sense at all like sending Parra down to the minors and signing a Tony Armas or Shawn Chacon or Jon Lieber etc. These guys aren't really upgrades over who we have.

The point is you were making it seem way easier than it is, like Melvin can just snap his fingers and get whatever he wants in the off-season when it just isn't a reality.

Community Moderator

First of all, I'm not that upset about this since it is making Cubs fans really, really mad.

Second, this isn't the end of the world. It's not like they just got an all-star 2B, it's just Mark DeRosa. Sure it's an upgrade, but it doesn't make the Cardinals a better team than the Brewers. As long as their outfield keeps struggling and Matt Holliday doesn't show up next, I'm confident that the Brewers are still the better team.

Third, Doug Melvin needs to be patient. As we said, there was little/no good pitching in the offseason. As we get closer to the deadline, more teams are going to fall out of the race and opportunities will open up. I'd rather try to solve the problems internally first. We could have sent off some prospects for DeRosa already after Weeks got hurt, but instead we made a few cheaper trades and tried out what we had. As a result, we discovered that McGehee can be a great ballplayer. I would prefer the same strategy with the starting pitchers as opposed to panicking and making a counter move right away. No trades until after the ASB.

I think people were spoiled by last year. If every season you want Doug (or whomever the GM is) to make a move to counter someone else, we are going to have a few decent years like last year (with no guarantee or a WS or even close) and then be really bad for a really long time when we've traded away anyone promising in the minors.

Now if you can trade some expendable guys, that's fine, but you probably aren't getting anyone in return who's going to help much.

Or you could go in the opposite direction like the guys on NSBB who are posting gems like this: "I hope they throw batteries at him from the bleachers."

I'm sure there's a place where one could discuss what lcbj68c did or didn't say, but let's try to save this thread for the DeRosa deal, ok? mlbtraderumors quotes Shapiro as saying the PTBNL is 'significant'...whatever that means. If it's a good prospect or a top 2008 draftee, that's a very good haul for Cle given that DeRosa is a rental. The one guy we know about is not bad...Perez is young, hard thrower with lots of Ks, could be a closer at some point and the Cleveland pen needs help now and in the future. All that said StL gets a nice player and is all the more threatening. Odd how Miles and DeRosa end up swapping places after all...bet Cubs fans are screaming for Hendry's head?

There is a rumor the player to be named later is Brett Wallace. He was drafted last year with the 13th pick and is already in AAA. Here are his stats. I highly doubt he is the guy but if he is than this is a great trade for Cleveland.

He would fit the bill as someone drafted last year and someone substantial, but I highly doubt it would be him

Edit - The rumor was just a message board rumor. I just wanted to make sure not to lead people to believe it was said by any analyst that I heard.

There is a rumor the player to be named later is Brett Wallace. He was drafted last year with the 13th pick and is already in AAA. I highly doubt he is the guy but if he is than this is a great trade for Cleveland.
If it does turn out to be Perez and Wallace for DeRosa the Indians made out big time. Wallace is a stud. DeRosa would have been nice in Milwaukee, but I don't think we need another bat as bad as starting pitching.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

DeRosa is a nice little player but he does have his warts as well. He is below average defensively on the IF and has been very erratic as a hitter vs RHP. He has also faded a bit in the second half in each of his fulltime seasons which may or may not just be statistical noise but I could see it having some merit since he was a part timer so long.

If my first post actually made sense I am going to call it a career. A Carlos Corporan-like appearance on the message boards.

Well, considering that's your 2ND post, you're not Carlos Corporan anymore. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

There is a rumor the player to be named later is Brett Wallace. He was drafted last year with the 13th pick and is already in AAA. I highly doubt he is the guy but if he is than this is a great trade for Cleveland.
If it does turn out to be Perez and Wallace for DeRosa the Indians made out big time. Wallace is a stud.
If the Cards were going to deal someone like Wallace as a PTBNL, I would expect it to be for Holliday, not DeRosa, but that's just me. Wallace would be a coup for Shapiro..he'd be building up quite a collection of young bats.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

DeRosa's a nice non-premium pickup by the Cards. As has been mentioned, his production will be a nice upgrade.

Doug's hands are tied because there isn't anyone available at this point.

Except that Roy Halladay has been diagnosed as ready to go, & will make his next start (Monday).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This has to stick in the Cubs craw. I´m sure they love the fact that the "one who got away" is now playing for their biggest rivals.

Also, I wouldn´t put it past the Cards to include Wallace, since they are likely going to get a type A pick for DeRosa. Assuming he remains healthy and someone signs him.

Archived